• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
It's no different than other professions. As a lawyer, people generally believe I am pulling down 7 figures. I'm not even close. One always believes others make more, based on what they do for a living, how they dress, and how they spend.

Many people live beyond their means, OR come from old money.

Are there a few who make awesome money doing what they do? Absolutely. But the few exceptions don't apply to everyone.
I thought only a handful lawyers running their own law office can make 7 figure annual income in Canada

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are everyone's thoughts on Pious from SuitSupply Toronto?

Haven't kept up with this thread but he sold me a suit and a cardigan. Although, I pretty much picked the cardigan myself prior to visiting the store. I had no issues with him, he's funny and witty. I will go see him again if I buy another suit from SS

Edit - Just read the review on yelp, that's unfortunate for that guy, but I can see how he could possibly rub people the wrong way.

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, starting salaries at major law firms are pretty well known (they are published openly for various classes of associates) and the figure above is right on.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be fair, starting salaries at major law firms are pretty well known (they are published openly for various classes of associates) and the figure above is right on.

In the US more so than here, where salaries are VERY well known (even ppp). 170k for first years at Skaddens Toronto is by far the highest in the city. Davies comes in second at 130k and then it’s 100-110 for the rest of the big firms. Partner salary and associate salary after first year are not well known.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
In the US more so than here, where salaries are VERY well known (even ppp). 170k for first years at Skaddens Toronto is by far the highest in the city. Davies comes in second at 130k and then it’s 100-110 for the rest of the big firms. Partner salary and associate salary after first year are not well known.
I think salary doesn’t increase much from each level upwards. A partner doesn’t make that much more than an associate. Their incomes increase significantly only when they can share the firm’s profit, which I suppose senior partners and above?

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Salaries/draws in the US and Canada differ greatly. Hourly rates and the ratio of partners to associates in the US mean you earn more in the US. The salary of a 1st year partner and senior associate are probably pretty close at most firms and could be higher for a senior associate with a decent bonus. Partner salaries vary greatly firm to firm and within firms. There isn't a lockstep compensation model for equity partners as far as I know but I don't know about every firm. Lots of firms have income partners and they are paid like associates and don't have an equity stake in the firm.

Lots of partners on Bay St. make 7 figures.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Partners, by definition, share in profits from the partnership, unless they belong to the non-equity partner band, which seems to be growing in some firms. In most cases the gap between senior associate and equity partner is very significant.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Either way, if Pious is wearing Patek, he’s doing something right.

Keep in mind that commission amounts do vary. I was talking to a former Rosen SA who said that commission is in the 13% range. At TF, could be as high as 15%.

And yes, totally accurate statement above about not just looking at the outliers in any field. But it is interesting to draw lessons from their success (it helps that celebrities are regulars at the flagship).

Recruitment at TF Madison looks competitive. One of their employees was on Americas Next Top Model, so they’re trying to achieve a certain look.

That said, I have no interest in working in the fashion industry. But for those that are, Brioni is hiring.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Salaries/draws in the US and Canada differ greatly. Hourly rates and the ratio of partners to associates in the US mean you earn more in the US. The salary of a 1st year partner and senior associate are probably pretty close at most firms and could be higher for a senior associate with a decent bonus. Partner salaries vary greatly firm to firm and within firms. There isn't a lockstep compensation model for equity partners as far as I know but I don't know about every firm. Lots of firms have income partners and they are paid like associates and don't have an equity stake in the firm.

Lots of partners on Bay St. make 7 figures.
That's a surprise, that's 3 or 4 times the salary of a SVP in a big 5 banks

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Agree with the above statement and there is a cap on what you can make as a Bay St. partner. Most are not making a million bucks and the spread is increasing between the bottom and the top.

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
What is the situation with Leatherfoot right now? I got an offer to buy any shoes for 50% off. That brings Carmina to $300. I just worried if they send a pair with scuff and marks then I won't be able to return them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads