• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anglo

Reaction score
Has anyone found a way around paying these ridiculous duties and customs when ordering items from the UK?
It's ok for most of Europe, but with UK, being charged 20% duties + 13% taxes + customs clearance fees, makes it nearly impossible to justify even a $150-200 item, which is quite unfortunate because there are so many brands/makers I'd like to order from.
You can use a re-shipping service, like ReShip. You can have the UK package shipped to the UK re-ship address; you then set the declared value yourself and have the re-shipper send you the package. You have to pay the shipping from the re-shipper and their fee. But if you set the declared value low, you usually save significantly on the duties. Though it requires you to be comfortable with setting the declared value low. Happy to send my referral code (we each get a $10 credit).

hysteria

Reaction score
You can use a re-shipping service, like ReShip. You can have the UK package shipped to the UK re-ship address; you then set the declared value yourself and have the re-shipper send you the package. You have to pay the shipping from the re-shipper and their fee. But if you set the declared value low, you usually save significantly on the duties. Though it requires you to be comfortable with setting the declared value low. Happy to send my referral code (we each get a $10 credit).
That's a good solution. Will definitely keep that in mind in the future.
Can you ship to the UK location from other parts of Europe, or just from UK?

Last edited:

Anglo

Reaction score
That's a good solution. Will definitely keep that in mind in the future.
Can you ship to the UK location from other parts of Europe, or just from UK?
I expect you can ship to UK from other parts of Europe but that may trigger other customs duties when it goes into UK. There may be other re-ship companies that do Europe (though I haven’t used them). Reship also does US (for shipping from US to Canada).

Wrenkin

Reaction score
What's crazy is that one time I ordered two separate trousers from Natalino, one was dispatched from their UK warehouse and one from their Netherlands warehouse, and I was charged duties on the UK one, but not the Netherlands, even though both were made in Italy...which should be exempt from duties.

It doesn't make sense to me.

It only works if the items are made and shipped from a region covered by that specific treaty. If you buy something that is made in the UK, but it ships from the US, you pay duties, and vice versa. If you buy something made in Portugal and it ships from Germany that should work, because they are both part of the EU. The UK isn't part of the EU anymore, and it is therefore not covered by CETA but rather a separate treaty, so I don't see why an EU-manufactured item, shipping to Canada from outside of the EU, would be covered.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The odd time I've purchased from the UK, I always asked the retailer if they would ship using Royal Mail (their national postal service akin to Canada Post) instead of a courier. At least there's a chance you can dodge duties (or even taxes if you're lucky) via Royal Mail, whereas with UPS/DHL/FedEx you'll always get hit unless you pre-clear the package beforehand and that only mitigages some of the damage.

I remember buying my Sanders Worcester derbies from Pediwear a few years ago and they shipped with Royal Mail. (What I don't remember is if it was a selectable option at checkout or if I requested it via e-mail.) While not from the UK, I recall asking Skoaktiebolaget to ship using their local postal service instead of courer for an order and while it did cost a bit more up front, I didn't pay any duties.

I tend to only order from UK retailers unless it's something I want badly enough that I can't get anywhere else, it's on a significant discount or it's made in the UK so its retail price is much cheaper than if I bought it domestically/from the USA. That has amounted to three UK orders in the past six or seven years. I see that ReShip was brought up, so I'll check them out when I see something from the UK that I want.

I don't have time to do a day trip, not worth the trouble.
I did consider whether it would work if I deliver from the UK to a postal code in the US via Cross Border Pick-ups, then have them deliver to me in CAnada. Customs and duties are mostly forgiven <$800 in the US so there shouldn't be much in the way of charges there, but I'm guessing I'd still have to pay customs when CBP is shipping from their US delivery site to Canada.

Yes, you would be paying HST and a nominal fee to CBP for the service, though I'm sure you're aware of the latter. You would then have to drive to Mississauga to pick it up, or you can pay a bit more to have them ship your things to you.

Another important thing to have is concrete proof of where the item is made, whether it's a web page or a picture of the image itself. I've imported books from the USA via CBP and IIRC I was able to procure photos of the credits page indicating where it was printed via kind strangers on a Discord group, and I only paid "GST" as a result.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the shoe shine guy still on here? Lost his number and user ID. I can send him a PM if someone can tell me his ID.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you're referring to Jok from GTA Shoe Shine? Don't remember his username on SF but you can find his IG/website pretty easily to contact him
1686589810903.jpeg

Jok is legit!! This is a purchase from Jok with his shine!! Vass F last

hysteria

Reaction score
Is there anyone in Toronto who you trust to alter knits? I've never searched for knit alterations before but I have a short-sleeve knit polo with really long sleeves coming down to the elbow and would like them shortened. Sadly, a lot of short-sleeve knits tend to have this issue. Unfortunately, some of the tailors that I trust with shirts, trousers, jackets don't feel comfortable enough with knits for this job.

ComplexSir

Reaction score
Is there anyone in Toronto who you trust to alter knits? I've never searched for knit alterations before but I have a short-sleeve knit polo with really long sleeves coming down to the elbow and would like them shortened. Sadly, a lot of short-sleeve knits tend to have this issue. Unfortunately, some of the tailors that I trust with shirts, trousers, jackets don't feel comfortable enough with knits for this job.
That’s funny I was just wondering if Shetland jumpers could be altered after looking up the measurements of the ones I want to purchase. I also would need sleeves shortened if I make the purchase

hysteria

Reaction score
Another Question:

Usually, if I return an order, I submit a request for refund of the customs and duties to CBSA, which requires me to show them proof of the return label, and proof that a refund was issued by the vendor.

I recently ordered a pair of shoes from Cavour, which were the wrong size. I have requested an exchange, but Cavour says they can't just declaer the new (exchanged pair) at a value of zero or mark it as an exchange when they send it. They tell me that I can simply claim a refund on the first pair that I am now returning.

However, to my understanding, this seems like it may be hassle because I will not be able to show the CBSA a refund invoice (which they usually want) to support the case.

Any suggestions here?

I'm not well adept at how to get around exchanges.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried to get duty/taxes on a pair of incorrectly sized EG that I returned. Had to mail the receipt, shipping documents and everything, 4 months later they mailed me back saying they refused the duty/tax refund saying I had insufficient proof. It's pure BS & money grab.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads