• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
I'm going to have to stop you right there. There's a difference between a place that's known for making a dish popular and a place with good food. I like Tommy's but it's flat out stupid to suggest that they make the best chili burgers in town. While they may be yuppity, there are loads of places in LA that make good chicken and waffles even if they're not "authentic."

tl;dr: Roscoe's sucks.

Im not saying everyone should agree with me.... Im just saying in my opinion I liked roscoe's better than screen door.... That's just my opinion.... Plus im not a huge fan of the sweet potato waffle. Although I love their chicken. Well I haven't had in a while since going vegetarian...

and on a side note, what's tommy's....

Last edited:

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you like Tasty and Sons, I highly reccomend Toro Bravo for dinner! Show up right at 5pm and you'll never have to wait more than 10 minutes. Promise.

I'll have to second that Toro Bravo suggestion - I had their tasting menu/chef's choice last time and it was an amazing. TB are the same guys who do Tasty, right? Interurban too (which I've never been to)?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to second that Toro Bravo suggestion - I had their tasting menu/chef's choice last time and it was an amazing. TB are the same guys who do Tasty, right? Interurban too (which I've never been to)?
Toro Bravo, Tasty and Sons, and now Tasty and Alder are all John Gorham affairs. He left Interurban a bit ago---the menu looks identical, though.

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Toro Bravo, Tasty and Sons, and now Tasty and Alder are all John Gorham affairs. He left Interurban a bit ago---the menu looks identical, though.

Though Gorham is not in the kitchen at Tasty & Alder--that's now Morgan Browlow, which could be amazing or a disaster. We'll see...

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Im not saying everyone should agree with me.... Im just saying in my opinion I liked roscoe's better than screen door.... That's just my opinion.... Plus im not a huge fan of the sweet potato waffle. Although I love their chicken. Well I haven't had in a while since going vegetarian...

and on a side note, what's tommy's....

tommys is a socal chili burg/fry chain that is famous for inventing diareahha

Ive been enjoying eating through the menu at trigger:

Wins-
Frito pie
pork shoulder quesadilla
Smoked wings
machaca tacos
chop salad w. brisket
frozen margaritas.

Misses
friedchicken tacos
(the tacos in general are off, except machaca-reminds me of jack n box tacos but in a good way)

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though Gorham is not in the kitchen at Tasty & Alder--that's now Morgan Browlow, which could be amazing or a disaster. We'll see...
Morgan Brownlow actually left Tasty and Alder after like a week...

Last edited:

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Man, I've known Morgan for over 10 years now... we worked together at the original ripe/Family Supper/Gotham Coffee Shop (before it morphed in to the short-lived Tavern) and I helped open clarklewis. The guy is easily one of the best cooks I've ever worked with, but his personality just seems to keep getting in the way of any kind of sustained success. Too bad.

I will 2nd Smallwares, though I haven't eaten there yet (don't get to Portland as often as I'd like)... Everyone I talk to up there has nothing but GREAT things to say about it. It's at the top of my list for my next visit home.

A few personal faves I'll add for CityHunter's visit:

Pok Pok (esp Ike's Vietnames Fish Sauce Wings... I dream about these and eat them at least once every time I'm in town)
Nostrana... late night (after 9 I think) happy hour at the bar is one of the best deals in town
Trigger, Tommy Habetz's new Tex-Mex joint. Serious gut-bomb, but that queso with brisket is insane
Ned Ludd... nothing really like it anywhere. The most "Portlandy" of Portland restaurants, but in a good way
Clyde Common... a great afternoon cocktail-and-a-snack-at-the-bar spot if yr downtown and worn out from shopping/walking
Driftwood Room, in the Hotel Deluxe... not as time-capsule-amazing as it was before they renovated, but still one of my favorite rooms in the city to sit and have a martini
Podnah's Pit... best BBQ on the west coast, or at least north of LA, though it's more Texas style than southern style

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pok Pok (esp Ike's Vietnames Fish Sauce Wings... I dream about these and eat them at least once every time I'm in town)
Nostrana... late night (after 9 I think) happy hour at the bar is one of the best deals in town
Trigger, Tommy Habetz's new Tex-Mex joint. Serious gut-bomb, but that queso with brisket is insane
Ned Ludd... nothing really like it anywhere. The most "Portlandy" of Portland restaurants, but in a good way
Clyde Common... a great afternoon cocktail-and-a-snack-at-the-bar spot if yr downtown and worn out from shopping/walking
Driftwood Room, in the Hotel Deluxe... not as time-capsule-amazing as it was before they renovated, but still one of my favorite rooms in the city to sit and have a martini
Podnah's Pit... best BBQ on the west coast, or at least north of LA, though it's more Texas style than southern style

If you only hit these, you would be a happy, happy person.

Oh, and drink coffee at Heart/Coava/Barista depending on your locale.

pdxvegan

Reaction score
I completely agree with the Coava/Heart suggestion. Can anyone recommend a good tailor in PDX? I was thinking of having a pair of jeans tapered.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Derek. He resolved one pair of my shoes, I can take a photo if interested.

kixslf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope to see you all this weekend!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics