• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, ****.

You free Saturday or what?

I made that comment only in the sense that I think Blake is an awesome resource for Portland, but if you live in a bigger market, the buy and selection probably don't feel as differentiated or unique. But I don't live in those markets, so I may not know what I'm talking about.

PM'ing you now re meeting up.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Ava Gene's for the first time last night to eat dinner by myself. The bar is a great place to eat and read. Food was good, but I need to try more things before passing final judgment. The brussel sprouts were excellet, and Cascina Gigli Freisa d’Asti 2009 (which I didn't like very much by itself) paired with the sprouts surprisingly well for a $10 pour. Too fruit forward for the burnt flour orecchiette, though.

The cobbler next to European Master Tailor does have some shoe care stuff, but I don't remember what brands of polish he carries. Not Saphir, I don't think.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would one of you portlanders do me a favor?

I wanted to get some of the Nhong's Khao Man Gai sauce shipped to me. I can't buy it online.

I wanted some the aardvark habanero too. I tried to get it tat the Made in Oregon store at the airport but they were out. You can buy this online but shipping is brutal.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I got you. Hit sauce already procured. Can get Nong's sauce on tues or Wed & ship out. PM me & we can sort it out. Just need to get me for actual cost & shipping.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info! I had Blake on my hit list, so that will work out well. I have Obenhauf's and Hubbards, but I think I'd like to make it by Tanner Goods anyways to check things out. If time permits I'll make to the other places mentioned. Thanks again!

Pretty sure machus carries naked and famous.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ They do.

Also, it's been mentioned but pretty much the whole Dunderdon store is 70% off now and they still have a lot of stock. All the sweaters and casual shirts in normal sizes are gone but there are tons of pants and a few bins full of previous season stock for sample sale prices. Most of them are size Large, which is a generally a slim cut Large, a la W+Ho so if you're taller there's a lot to be had. A bunch of solid bags, too.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Making my way up in about a month. My friend who I'll be staying with (who thankfully moved from Tigard to Portland) threw a list of places we are going to eat at - anybody want to chime if any of these are a 'should not miss' or shoot any of them down? We'll be driving to Vancouver so I doubt we'll get to hit them all (forgive me if these have already been brought up in this thread):

Arleta Library
Wine & Kitchen
The Observatory
Screen Door Brunch (tried this last time - but the wait was literally 3 hours long)
Roost
2nd Story
Aviary
Beaker & Flask
HA & VL (this is Vietnamese, right? Coming from Southern California I think I could do without...unless it is indeed that good)
Irving St. Kitchen
June
Laurelhurst Market
Le Piegeon
Littlebird
Natural Selection
Smallwares
Smokehouse 21
The Woodsman Tavern

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Making my way up in about a month. My friend who I'll be staying with (who thankfully moved from Tigard to Portland) threw a list of places we are going to eat at - anybody want to chime if any of these are a 'should not miss' or shoot any of them down? We'll be driving to Vancouver so I doubt we'll get to hit them all (forgive me if these have already been brought up in this thread):

Arleta Library
Wine & Kitchen
The Observatory
Screen Door Brunch (tried this last time - but the wait was literally 3 hours long)
Roost
2nd Story
Aviary
Beaker & Flask
HA & VL (this is Vietnamese, right? Coming from Southern California I think I could do without...unless it is indeed that good)
Irving St. Kitchen
June
Laurelhurst Market
Le Piegeon
Littlebird
Natural Selection
Smallwares
Smokehouse 21
The Woodsman Tavern

In bold are Do Not Miss.
In italics are strong options that would be excellent no matter what city they were in.
Also: Skip Screen door and walk up to Navarre instead. Trust me. Or Whodini. Get Coffee at Heart on the way.

Note that I've not been to the first 3 spots listed...

Last edited:

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Oboy has his recommendations down. Good Lord.

Funny story of how small PDX (and SF) is. Get out of the airport and my gf and I beeline to Screen Door for brunch. Of course, there's an hour wait so we walk up the street hoping for a cup of coffee while we wait. Walk into Heart and before I can look up I hear my name. Yup, of all the cafes in the city, there's Oboy and fam. Go figure.

FWIW, we skipped on Screen Door to go to Navarre and my gf thought it was one of the best brunches she'd ever had. It wasn't anything extravagant, just simple and great.

I ended up hitting a ton of places last week so I'll come back and summarize but I wanted to make a quick observation. It was fascinating to me to go back to PDX and SEA after being away for about eight years. A lot has changed, for the better, but damn does PDX have some of the best coffee bars in the US. I had locals telling me how much better or as good it was in SEA, but that was nonsense. It's just embarrassing how much better it is up there than down here in LA.

I still owe Oboy a beer. Homie needs to collect next time.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arleta Library, Roost, and Observatory are underwhelming.

June is way underrated: I think it's great.

Ha&VL is Vietnamese but it is CRAZY GOOD. The best soup I've ever eaten. But I've never eaten soup in California so what do I know. It's not pho.

How does Navarre's brunch compare to Accanto's?

snowboardpunk

Reaction score

Arleta Library
Wine & Kitchen
The Observatory
Roost
2nd Story
Aviary
Beaker & Flask
Irving St. Kitchen
June
Laurelhurst Market
Le Piegeon
Littlebird
Natural Selection
Smallwares
Smokehouse 21
The Woodsman Tavern

If you are super short on time, you can go to either le piegeon or little bird. Also if you live in socal Rosco's>screen door> everywhere else (chicken and waffles)
You can skip irving st kitchen.
If you are feeling a steak, def go laurelhurst market.
HA & VL is amazing but idk about anything compared to socal.

And take me to vancouver too por fa vor! :)

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went to tasty n sons for dinner last night.
Tuesday is friedchixwaffles night , very good.

highlights-
carbonara
pork shank
shakshuka
potatoes(with bacon n cream cheese, forget the name of dish)
meat plate
radicchio salad
chixwaffles

lowlights
veg tagine
chicken dumplings

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

If you are super short on time, you can go to either le piegeon or little bird. Also if you live in socal Rosco's>screen door> everywhere else (chicken and waffles)

I'm going to have to stop you right there. There's a difference between a place that's known for making a dish popular and a place with good food. I like Tommy's but it's flat out stupid to suggest that they make the best chili burgers in town. While they may be yuppity, there are loads of places in LA that make good chicken and waffles even if they're not "authentic."

tl;dr: Roscoe's sucks.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads