• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess Compound is what I meant. Just Be is old name stuck in my head. So, yes, they def do.

I've not been to Slowburger yet. I like the Meatball joint for sure. Not gonna change your life but tasty. Polenta/pork meatball combo is solid.

Haven't had the Laurelhurst or Little Bird one, but I've had Le Pigeon burger, so I'm guessing it's the same. And it's killer (but it's been like 2 years since I've had it...).

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol couture. if your looking to go out and get a more portland vibe, i would steer clear of those spots. If you want the touristy/scene feel go to ron toms/dig a pony/holocene/ and end at sassys or union jacks for some ****.

This friday is live and direct at branx, that will be the spot.

chiang mai if you want the best thai food w/o a 3 hour wait.
Had the yakuza burger last weekend, pretty damn good.

Want to hit up tannery bar, anyone been?
Hahahaha at Ron Toms/Dig a Pony/etc. All the bro bars are really funny and make no sense, I wish they wouldn't take up good spots in SE.

Third Chiang Mai. I used to go there all the time. It's really good, but so is PaaDee.

Tannery Bar is pretty good, I went once. The bar program is great.
Hows slowburger (at the ocean) compare to slowbars burger? any better / worse? I didnt find it super exciting. I ate at every spot in one week. All fine, nothings outrageously good, but cant wait for the summer to post on the patio and eat wings, tacos, and meatballs.

I really want to get the laurelhurst market burger, the castanga burg, and little birds.
I haven't had the burger at Slowbar but Slowburger plays Coldplay so that kind of sucks. I think the best thing at the Ocean is Uno Mas; I like their barbacoa and chorizo. June just started a happy hour serving their burger (which I've never had), but that could be another to check out. I think June is awesome in general. I wasn't very impressed by Little Bird/Le Pigeon burger. Have you had the Biwa burger? It's only available late night. I think Biwa is overrated in general and not as quality as it used to be, but their burger is killer.

Nick Zukin ate 72 burgers in Portland two years ago and ranked them all: http://extramsg.com/portland-food/top-10-burgers/

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and re: Uncle Dick's. I heard from a woman who worked at Perriera Creperie that the owner is a really big skeeze---like sexually harassing employees skeeze. So not only is his product gimmicky and kind of gross, he is, too. Not really somebody I want to support.

So are there enough people in Portland for a SF meetup? Is that what I'm seeing? Like a small group going to shoot the **** and eat something awesome (since that's what we all seem to be into)?

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So are there enough people in Portland for a SF meetup? Is that what I'm seeing? Like a small group going to shoot the **** and eat something awesome (since that's what we all seem to be into)?

Seems like this thread has brought out more PDX folks than in the past! I'd be into a meetup, but I usually can't get out until after 8pm (kid's bedtime).

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just had the pho from Mai Vietnamese food at that food shack square..... Meh. but I had a gyro from that ethipion place a few shacks down and that was pretty good.

Couture and Harlem.... lol... my buddies are djing so I was go.

I will check out the advice for the nike stuff. Thanks guys.

As for a meetup, if you guys do it this week, I might be able to go.

No sales tax is soooo amazing!

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White owl meetup. weekend happy hr goes till 6. 2$beers w. a really good taplist.
Down. I've been hearing good things about White Owl Social Club. This Saturday? My friend's birthday is Sunday, so I couldn't make it that day.

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
I'd be down but idk what a meetup consists of or if I can Saturday. I just wanna drink :)

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanna drink
smile.gif
This is what a meetup consists of.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really, besides the outlet, the best tip is score a pass to the Employee Store.

Ditto this for Nike swag.

Hahahaha at Ron Toms/Dig a Pony/etc. All the bro bars are really funny and make no sense, I wish they wouldn't take up good spots in SE.

You forgot the broest of bro-bars; Blitz.

I gotta call out the following shops: Manifesto, and the (3) in a row (Tanner, ....).

Walked in every one of these stores and didn't get so much as a look in my direction. No "Hello!", "Can I help you?", nothing. In one store, the employee didn't even look up from their computer they were seated at. ******* ridiculous for smaller boutiques to treat people like that. It made me uncomfortable to feel like I was being observed with disdain under eerie silence while I scoped out goods, and only encouraged me to continue shopping online.

The best shop, by far, for me, was the Filson store. Good luck walking out of there empty handed or at least without a mental wish list.

snowboardpunk

Reaction score
well then I think im going to love meet ups. haha

Oh god not blitz..... Ive been to rontoms once and it waasnt bad. it was after last/first thursday(on alberta) i forget which one it is and it wasnt too bad.

dunderon was pretty bad. I think it depends on who works. At blackbird the girl was pretty friendly before they closed down, and I dont have any problems with woodlands shop. And then filson is too big for me in general. And there smallest size is a small unless its their black label, which they carry xs and still too small.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do I score a pass to the employee store?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score

I still owe you a PM! Yes, DOC is super solid.

No joke. I get in next Saturday and I don't want to be standing at the airport trying to figure out where to eat. Let me know what your availability is like for that week, too, but know that I head out that Wednesday.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads