• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate "HARDCORE" Shoe Appreciation Thread (Bespoke only)

waynewei

Reaction score
not yet. but I probably will get pair of penny loafer from them. still thinking though.Their fading effect of those bespoke is quite attractive. But having talked about that they said that effect cannot be reproduced manually as completely same as seen on aged bespoke samples. They do have fading service but not really looks phenomenal to me since it is just about bleaching and finishing.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can fade leather with different corrosive solutions from oxalic acid to actual bleach. But non work better than time. I remember Lattanzi offers shoes stored/buried in glass covered well in the ground for several years for the fading effect though different than the actual sun/light bleached showroom display samples.

Might be able to recreate fading effect easier with undyed leather or leathers without top coat.

Fosters' making looks really good, especially comparing to John Blobb London.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last edited:

amlai

Reaction score
Just got this pair in #8 shell from JP Myhre:

amlai

Reaction score
I didn't take anymore pictures before giving them a wear around the house... I couldn't wait! But, here are a few more pictures for you guys anyways.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do you know this?

Home Depot oxalic acid crystals and Clorox. Both in high concentrations. Need hot water to dissolve crystals easily.

p.s., also used acetone (useless), Lincoln dye prep, Lincoln deglazer. Biggest lesson learned is to keep things dry and give time for chemicals to work.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Home Depot oxalic acid crystals and Clorox. Both in high concentrations. Need hot water to dissolve crystals easily.

p.s., also used acetone (useless), Lincoln dye prep, Lincoln deglazer. Biggest lesson learned is to keep things dry and give time for chemicals to work.

You didn't answer the question. I suspect that once again you are making statements you cannot and have not substantiated. You don't know what you're talking about, IOW.

I don't know about Clorox...but I do know about oxalic acid and acetone because I've used both products for over forty years. Oxalic acid is is a wood bleach but it does not work for leather. Oxalic will bleach out iron stains that occur on vegetable tanned leather through careless handling. (a usage that goes back centuries) And the only reason it works is because vegetable tans are almost always wood bark based.

Oxalic acid has no effect on chrome tanned leathers. It has no effect on aniline dyes. It has no effect on water based dyes. It has no effect on finished leathers. It will actually darken (stain) vegetable tanned leathers.

Dye prep will not bleach the leather, either. It's purpose is to open the pores and cut through the greases so that dyes will strike evenly. Acetone will not bleach leather. It will remove finishes and pick ups some loose aniline dyestuffs but it is not a bleach.

Below is an experiment I did:

The first photo is of a series of swatches cut from different shoe leathers. Before.

From L. to R.:
1.Spanish calf, chrome tan, aniline dyed, struck through, little or no top coat. 2. Annonay French calf, aniline dye and top coat, not struck through. 3. Glazed buffalo calf, retan, aniline dye, struck through, top coat and acrylic wax. 4. St. Crispin burnishable baby calf (A.A. Crack), calf, veg tanned dyed crust, struck through, no top coat. 5. St. Crispin burnishable baby calf, veg tanned dyed crust, struck through, no top coat. 6. Burnishable buffalo calf, veg retan, aniline dyed (?), struck through, no top coat.

Second photo, veg calf, similar to, and a reasonable facsimile of, crust. Before
L.-R.:
1, aniline dye. 2. aniline dye. 3. Eco-flo water based dye. 4 Eco-flo water based dye. 5 iron stain.

Third and fourth photos, 48 hours after applying a liberal swath of Oxalic acid:

All the veg tanned leathers darkened some under the influence of the strong acidic wash. None were bleached. None of the dyes were affected. None of the finished leathers were affected.

The iron stain was removed.

It might be noted that oxalic acid can over-acidify a leather and destroy it. I once watched a colleague paint Oxalic on a perfectly beautiful pair of buttercup ostrich boot and within 24 hours the leather had darkened to a reddish tan and was dry to the touch. Despite conditioning they cracked and were turning to dust within three months.

Finally, yes, you can scrub any leather to the point where the colour will come off. But you can do that with pure water too, if you're industrious enough. That said, this is not only destructive to the leather, it is, bottom line, not a bleach.

--

Last edited:

j ingevaldsson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^DWF: Interesting. What about pethroleum ether (I think that is the correct translation for it), which I know many people use on shoes especially to remove old cream and polish?

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^^^DWF: Interesting. What about pethroleum ether (I think that is the correct translation for it), which I know many people use on shoes especially to remove old cream and polish?

I don't know what that is...at least not by that name. Just off the top of my head, however, a product formulated to remove cream and polish isn't likely to remove, much less bleach/lighten dyes or top coat finishes.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bhargav1505