• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thomas Crown Affair

IEG

Reaction score
Just interested in any input out there from any of you fine folks, I know there are some other threads commenting on things such as the style or lack of style in certain movies like 007 movies and some of the recent Bond movies having possibly made some mistakes in Bonds wardrobe. One of my favorites is the Pierce Brosnan/Rene Russo version of the Thomas Crown Affair. I hope I am not redundant here with this, I didn't check to see if there were any threads on this previously. I think the wardrobe fits in this movie is excellent. The style of both Brosnan's main character Thomas Crown and Rene Russo's character to me are off the charts. You see Thomas Crown getting fitted in his office, getting his Bespoke Soprt Coat fitted by his tailor as well as even walking around town in a Sport Coat/Top Coat and jeans with a pair of dress shoes. I love the attention to detail with not only the wardrobe but with the art work as well. Not only do I love the movie but I love the style both men's and women's that is projected in the movie. Any thoughts?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like this film and as I mentioned on here recently, I thought it was a rare case of an improvement over the original, but watch out in case @crdb comes in and gives us a dissertation on why the original is better!

I also like PB’s wardrobe (except for the sarong!) The saturated blue shirts make it seem a bit dated to the nineties, but so what? He looks great and I do that myself sometimes to distinguish a business look from a ‘date night’ look.

As he was playing Bond at the time he was contractually prevented from wearing a tuxedo in any other film. That’s why in the black and white party in the Latin Jazz club he’s wearing a white bow tie, untied. The film was made by the same studio as the Bond franchise so they let him slide on that!

I’m not sure the suede jacket, scarf and dad jeans would pass inspection on SF but most of his suit and overcoat fits are fine.

Now check out the original and watch ‘cool’ Steve McQueen grunt his way through the role. He has some decent threads too!

IEG

Reaction score
I like this film and as I mentioned on here recently, I thought it was a rare case of an improvement over the original, but watch out in case @crdb comes in and gives us a dissertation on why the original is better!

I also like PB’s wardrobe (except for the sarong!) The saturated blue shirts make it seem a bit dated to the nineties, but so what? He looks great and I do that myself sometimes to distinguish a business look from a ‘date night’ look.

As he was playing Bond at the time he was contractually prevented from wearing a tuxedo in any other film. That’s why in the black and white party in the Latin Jazz club he’s wearing a white bow tie, untied. The film was made by the same studio as the Bond franchise so they let him slide on that!

I’m not sure the suede jacket, scarf and dad jeans would pass inspection on SF but most of his suit and overcoat fits are fine.

Now check out the original and watch ‘cool’ Steve McQueen grunt his way through the role. He has some decent threads too!
I have seen the original and my thoughts are the same, the remake was better, more exciting and I thought better acted. I did not realize about the Bond thing at the same time. Brosnan comes off playing Thomas Crown better than Bond, he is not my favorite Bond but not the worst IMO, but I think he is more macho and has a "tougher" mystique in TC. versus his role as Bond. I think he and Russo had legit chemistry in TC and even the supporting roles were very well acted, I.E Dennis Leary.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK2024