• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enlarging shoulders on a jacket is very iffy and beyond the capabilities of many tailors. At $150, is the jacket's quality even decent? It sounds like a mistake purchase.

Last edited:

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes - the quality is great, it's a reputable brand (APC) and it was final sale down from $610 originally.

I took a risk with the sizing as I'm typically a Medium in everything APC, and it fits well in most other places.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes - the quality is great, it's a reputable brand (APC) and it was final sale down from $610 originally.

I took a risk with the sizing as I'm typically a Medium in everything APC, and it fits well in most other places.

I could be wrong but the side angle picture looks like it is fitting like a woman's coat.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hrmm, in what sense? The pictures are poor, I'll definitely get better ones ASAP

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are some better pics:

I'm also about 5 pounds heavier than my typical weight, should hopefully shed that in the next couple months.

Looks pretty sloppy in the back, if I decide to keep it despite the shoulder/arm/arm hole tightness, I wonder if it would be worth it to take it in a bit.

Last edited:

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of you guys should crop your pictures before posting. For example, the restroom sink is a huge distraction.

Some other pictures the flash should have been on.

Some cloth is very dark and if the camera's light sensor is not on the dark it is sometimes impossible to see important details.

1up

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, my apologies. I only noticed how poor the original photos were, once I viewed from a desktop.

All the recent pics I took had flash on, were cropped, and were from a proper camera.

greger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are some more pics. The fabric lifts off from the shoulder area around the collar, so I probably need to decrease shoulder slope? What should I do with yoke width and armpits?
You don't show a side view, but it looks like the front neck line should go up. The whole back looks larger than it should. If the back needs to be smaller, then the front needs to be that much larger. Other shirt manufacturers would have their own patterns. One of them may have a better fitting pattern for your body. Patterns can be very different from company to company.

andrewmrsid

Reaction score
You certainly don't need a center box pleat on that shirt, your Posture it's almost erect, those details are natural enemies

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a 40L. I usually wear 40R, so I know the sleeves need adjusting, but what else shall I get done when when I take it to the tailors?

It's Ralph Lauren Purple Label Cashmere, it anyone wanted to know.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

voltnaire

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your help. Recently bought my first suit off of SF B&S. It's an Eidos suit from a couple of years ago. I worry that the shoulders might be a touch large, in which case back to B&S this goes. I know other aspects of the suit can (and should) be altered, but specifically I'd like to know your thoughts on the shoulder fit. I think the right shoulder is the problematic one, displaying a prominent divot.

A little more information if anyone cares to read on/understand the situation: I live in nyc, so I had the chance to go to bloomingdales to try on a 36 and a 38 in Eidos. The 36 fit perhaps slightly (slightly) too small, especially through the chest while the 38 looked acceptable through the chest. Since I knew I could take the suit in through the waist and narrow down the arms, and because I'm anticipating some weight gain from a workout routine, I elected to go ahead and buy the 38.

Thank you for your help.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To my untrained eyes the shoulders look good. The length might be on the long side but still acceptable I think.

I would keep it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads