• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

6' 2" 255 lbs (from 340)

Starting to move away from typical fat guy wardrobe of tshirt and baggy jeans.

This is my best fitting shirt. Does it fit? What can be improved or changed? (ignore the pit stains)

why didnt you button the collar?
the body can be taken in at the sides.
cant see where the shoulders end.

MrDrumngun

Reaction score
I have a question on fit for a shirt. I have a very athletic build. Size 31 waist and very broad shoulders and chest. Not sure on the measurement but I think my chest is 40". I like my clothes to fit snug and proper. Not afraid to accentuate my body at all. I'm 5'10" and 175 #. How much room should my shirts have at the waist in order to not be bunched up or sloppy. Should I have 2" of room? More, Less?

Notatinyman

Reaction score
Thanks.

I was looking for opinions on how the body fit. I am not sure exactly how a shirt should fit because I am much bigger than most people on this forum.

I already know the collar is a bit too small and the sleeves are too long (the shirt was a hand me down from a friend who lost a bunch of weight).

mnlgrind

Reaction score
both suits suffer the same balance pr0blem a short front. see how the front pulls up, and the back has excess length.
its major surgery. you cant lengthen the front, there is no cloth. the back must be shortened so much that it becomes shorter than the front.
but the coat may become too short. a chance to take.
you might consult the tutorials "balance explained".
the brown may work out better, but does need to be taken in.
are these really custom made or, made to measure?

a tailor,

Thank you for your reply. This thread is awesome and very enlightening! I would like to clarify some of your comments for me to better understand it. First, in terms of balance I do see that the front pulls up and I also read your thread "balance explained" and this means I have an erect posture as well?

As for the coats, are the first button positions in the right place? If yes, then the length from the collar to the first button is correct but from that button down to the bottom of the coat is short. This is what you mean by being unbalanced correct?

And by 'the brown may work out better' you mean the black suit or the grey one? I'm guessing the gray one since its longer than the black one?

Sad to say these are custom made/bespoke. I would like to bring the suits back to him and ask him to take a look at this thread and see if he would fix it for me.

Again thanks again a tailor for your inputs! I really appreciate it!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As for the coats, are the first button positions in the right place? If yes, then the length from the collar to the first button is correct but from that button down to the bottom of the coat is short. This is what you mean by being unbalanced correct?

No, balance is more that just the button-stance, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the distance from the button to the hem. It is perfectly possible for both those things to be perfect, yet the balance to still be off.

Balance is not an absolute that you can determine purely from the measures of the front the coat, it is a relative measure between both the front and back. It is essentially the relation between the vertical distances between the neckpoint and another fixed horizontal reference, such as the waist or the scye depth, on both the front and back. For example, someone who has an erect posture will need a relatively shorter back balance and relatively longer from balance, and vice-versa for someone with a stooped posture.

Last edited:

lukelukeluke

Reaction score
Bought this Hickey Freeman suit off ebay. I know some things need fixing but thought I'd ask the masters here before taking it to the tailor. The guy I go to has done good work for me on shirts and pants and even another suit, but I'll feel more comfortable going back to him if I know a little more what I'm talking about. Please to be ignoring the ugly shoes, I was in bit of a rush and didn't feel like putting on a proper pair.

Thanks y'all!

MrDrumngun

Reaction score
I'm not expert but I think that just looks way too big. The trousers seem to go out a lot in the hip from the waist and the pant legs are just too baggy. Likewise with the coat. I'm just a fan of slimmer clothes so my opinion may be biased here.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

a tailor,

Thank you for your reply. This thread is awesome and very enlightening!  I would like to clarify some of your comments for me to better understand it. First, in terms of balance I do see that the front pulls up and I also read your thread "balance explained" and this means I have an erect posture as well?    

And by 'the brown may work out better' you mean the black suit or the grey one? I'm guessing the gray one since its longer than the black one? 

Sad to say these are custom made/bespoke. I would like to bring the suits back to him and ask him to take a look at this thread and see if he would fix it for me.  

Again thanks again a tailor for your inputs! I really appreciate it! 

yes you have a very erect posture . balance is controlled from the top. thats because the coat
hangs from the top. for an erect posture, the top of the front must be longer and the top of the
back must be shorter.

the button placement is controlled by the tailors placement. the button does not control balance.

i guess the grey one looks brown on my screen.

did he make this with his own hands or did he send out to be made.
and how many fittings were made during the construction?

JBG89

Reaction score
Bump for any help

JBG89

Reaction score
Bump for any help!

Hello All noob here,
I have a non-standard body size (in terms of suit makes) and wanted to get a few thoughts on this OTR suit I picked up. I'm somewhere between a 37 short and long and may end up going the MTM route with suit supply.
I picked up this suit here for around 300 on sale/employee discount and am thinking if I should go the MTM route which will cost about $500. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
*Additionally, I've worn this suit several times before so it may not look as pristine as if it was new

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Is this suit worth getting tailored and if so what would you do?
Why do the arms look so horrible in the back? (rotate at the shoulder? which I'm not going to pay for, but just wondering)?
Thoughts on the shirt fit?

Note: Was picked up for $7 at a thrift store for a one time use to a beach wedding (color is lighter blue then in pictures). I am a 36S (on the small side of 36S at 5'7",128 lbs)

Last edited:

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this suit worth getting tailored and if so what would you do? Thoughts on the shirt fit? Note: Was picked up for $7 at a thrift store for a one time use to a beach wedding (color is lighter blue then in pictures). I am a 36S (on the small side of 36S at 5'7",128 lbs)
Looks good, I don't see TOO much work needing to be done. Mostly just shorten the sleeves.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads