• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

bigbucky

Reaction score
Hmmm, then can one of the tailors help me out on what is the difference between my jacket:

which looks very boxy to me and

something from PG

which looks much more fitted and stylish

Is it just more of a softening of the shoulders and more waist suppression?

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the body is about an inch short. sleeves could be a bit longer,
the back view shows the right low shoulder, but the front shows a left low.
louis is right, the front is short at the top. that makes the lower front kick out and seem too big.
nipping in the waist a little may take away the boxy look.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hmmm, then can one of the tailors help me out on what is the difference between my jacket:

something from PG

I'm not one of the tailors, but here's what I notice:

Your lower quarters remain flat and closed opposed to opening back up, which creates balance with the opening of the top. Your shoulder like isn't sloping like the photos (sloped shoulders look very good). I also think the shortness takes away from it a little.

skilar

Reaction score
I ordered this suit from Thick as Thieves last November-ish. Aside from the way-too-skinny lapels (I don't know what I was thinking), and some sleeve-length issues (shirt or jacket?), what do y'all think? I'm interested in PG's look, too. Is my jacket just too tight?

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For MTM the fit is good, I've seen an awful lot worse. The coat should be a bit longer though, imo, and the trousers could do with some cleaning up at the back, but it's good for a first try.

something from PG

PG takes better photos.

Your jacket could be longer.

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not a tailor but probably more complex than this. I suspect PG's shoulders have a different shape from yours. Also the MTM block that his suits are based on are probably quite different from the one you used with MyTailor. Keep in mind that the suits you see on his blog are also the result of several iterations with the same tailor; I suspect that if you gave your tailor a chance they might be able to refine your subsequent garments to better get the detailing and cut that you like. First commissions seldom meet one's needs, unless you have an excellent bespoke tailor -- and even then, the pattern frequently needs some tweaking... Don't expect too much from a first outing!

Tortilla

Reaction score

Chris,
Thank you. I'm going to try and visit Nick Lopez in Houston on Saturday (no experience with him or any other tailor in Houston but the only one I could find with good reviews) and see if he can improve the look of the suit for me. I recently purchased this as a RTW. I have no need for suits other than weddings and funerals but WANT one that fits.

I'd love to hear your review of Nick Lopez if you ended up visiting his tailor shop.

dorolf07

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My bespoke tailor did a pretty good job with my sports coat. I just had one fitting and he was able to get everything right. I think bespoke is the way to go nowadays,

bigbucky

Reaction score

louis is right, the front is short at the top. that makes the lower front kick out and seem too big.
nipping in the waist a little may take away the boxy look.

I think I see what you mean. The bottom angles upwards from back to front.

I'm not one of the tailors, but here's what I notice:
Your lower quarters remain flat and closed opposed to opening back up, which creates balance with the opening of the top. Your shoulder like isn't sloping like the photos (sloped shoulders look very good). I also think the shortness takes away from it a little.

Thanks, I agree I should open up the quarters a little

Edit: just wrong.

??

Dude, you're comparing yourself against The Most Exerent...

A man's got to have standards

Not a tailor but probably more complex than this. I suspect PG's shoulders have a different shape from yours. Also the MTM block that his suits are based on are probably quite different from the one you used with MyTailor. Keep in mind that the suits you see on his blog are also the result of several iterations with the same tailor; I suspect that if you gave your tailor a chance they might be able to refine your subsequent garments to better get the detailing and cut that you like. First commissions seldom meet one's needs, unless you have an excellent bespoke tailor -- and even then, the pattern frequently needs some tweaking... Don't expect too much from a first outing!

I think I have more square shoulders so a sloped natural look may not work. Thanks for all the advice. I was thinking of trying Chan but maybe I'll give it another shot at tweaking this fit.

Last edited:

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You two guys want to look like PG, but he has a different body than you do. His shoulders are vastly different and droop a lot, especially in comparison to the both of you who have more normal yet slightly boxy shoulders. Also, he is wearing bespoke. He wouldn't look nearly as good wearing OTR, or even MTM from TaT.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads