• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is a problem if it is not the look you like. To some it is a stylistic preference.

Assuming these are both cut with side bodies the work would be done on the seam that extends fro the front pocket to the hem. Along the seam that joins the side body to the fronts. The jacket would be taken in on the front only or the side body only or equally from both. I would look at the grain line to know which is best and how much to reduce. This is the easiest fix. Not a big job.

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It is a problem if it is not the look you like. To some it is a stylistic preference.
Assuming these are both cut with side bodies the work would be done on the seam that extends fro the front pocket to the hem. Along the seam that joins the side body to the fronts. The jacket would be taken in on the front only or the side body only or equally from both. I would look at the grain line to know which is best and how much to reduce. This is the easiest fix. Not a big job.

thanks a lot for the feedback

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hi and thank you in advance for comments.
I have this suit that I bought off the rack and had the sleeves altered. Tried it on today and noticed the sleeves are way out of whack (one is noticeably shorter than the other). After looking in the mirror a bit I see quite a few things relating to fit that I don't like;
Why are the pants bunching up in the back? Perhaps I should have take a photo of the seat without the jacket but they aren't tight anywhere.
The jacket fits in the shoulders. I tried one size down and it seemed to fit better everywhere with the exception of the shoulders. I think the sides need to be taken in and the length shortened. Why do the shoulders and sleeves ripple like that? Do the sleeves need to be tapered?
Any and all constructive comments will be greatly appreciated.
URL=http://www.styleforum.net/image/id/763834/width/350/height/263]
[/URL]

There are two elements at odds here. The cut/balance of the jacket and your posture. This picture defines the issue most clearly. Jacket balance is a feature of the pattern and a perfectly proportioned mannequin is the object to be fitted on a RTW garment.

From the side view the outline of your posture is best displayed. Your upper body seems to lean towards the back, this is an erect posture. Your lower body position is referred to as "hips forward." If you use a tape measure and measure the distance from the base of your neck at the back, straight down your back to the floor and from the same point over your shoulder, over your chest and stomach to the ground, the back measure will be considerably shorter than the front measure. That is why the jacket hikes up at the lower front. The front jacket length is too short from the shoulder seam to the hem of the front part and the jacket length is too long on the back from the shoulder seam to the hem on the backpart.
If your head and shoulders were more forward the difference of front and back measure would change the other way. Longer back, shorter front.

This is what balance is all about. You need a jacket that has a shorter back and longer front to drape properly for your posture. It is the difference in length of the backpart in relation to the frontpart that create balance. The jacket is made for some one that is somewhat even front and back.
The same can be done for the trouser. The measure from the waistband of the trouser is a shorter distance to the floor in back than the front. You need a shorter back/ longer front to clean up the wrinkling on the back of the trousers.

This isn't something that can be altered in a finished garment as well as if the garment were cut thru a MTM program or was being custom made for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

PorterInjax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chris,

Thank you. I'm going to try and visit Nick Lopez in Houston on Saturday (no experience with him or any other tailor in Houston but the only one I could find with good reviews) and see if he can improve the look of the suit for me. I recently purchased this as a RTW. I have no need for suits other than weddings and funerals but WANT one that fits.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Porter,
If you spend some time trying on different brands you will find, as you already discovered, some will fit better and require fewer adjustments to look right. Nick will be a big help to you.

Chris

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

allaboutshoes -
I know this is a tailor's thread, but since you're asking about style stuff and you seem to want an opinion, personally I'm not a fan at all. The extremely high buttons means that there's virtually no space above the jacket, which looks weird, and the square of the buttons in the middle to me just makes you look like a robot or something.

It's "costumey"

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looking good, empty. For photos, I'd also suggest the camera be about 10-12 feet away, about chest/ribcage high, and level with the ground, not pointed up or down. It will help alleviate lens distortion especially with point-and-shoot cameras.

Great idea for a thread. Looking forward to reading more.
+1 Today is the first time I checked out this thread which you discussed last night at the Meet-Up. Excellent! Most impressive is the willingness of our professional members to critically comment on our clothing choices. Several times over the past few years I have been the beneficiary of Mr. Di Pietropaolo's (a tailor) advice via PM. Now a wider circle can share this expertise.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update:

I found a tailor via recommendation from a forum member. Very nice, and will be my new spot to go.

Took the jacket to new tailor, pants to my regular. My decision...wish I took the pants to the new guy as well.

Jacket came out great, Mario via Cassara Brothers, knew exactly what was wrong. The waist was suppressed too much pulling the top (shoulder/back) and bottom (the vents) causing wrinkles and flares, respectively. May decide to have the vents closed though.

Pants came out well IMO except the actual work is horrible. The seams inside the pants do not align!! ugh. Going to bring to Mario and see what his critique is.

Overall, I like the new pants leg width and length (width increase from 7.5 to about 8 inches, and hemmed). Waist also taken in.

How is it though?

Excuse the first pic, did not fix the pant leg before photo.

Last edited:

bigbucky

Reaction score
My first MTM and I'm really depressed. Got a sportcoat and pants from MyTailor and the Joe was great but just doesn't look the way I thought it would.

Caveats:
I know i have a dropped right shoulder and that probably makes the fit harder. Also the shirt sleeves are too long.

The things I'm most concerned with are all the wrinkles in the pants and the dimples in the SC shoulders. I suspect the wrinkles in the back of the SC are due to that dropped shoulder.

Overall it just looks bad but I can't really explain why. I'm sure you can :D

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My first MTM and I'm really depressed. Got a sportcoat and pants from MyTailor and the Joe was great but just doesn't look the way I thought it would.

For MTM the fit is good, I've seen an awful lot worse. The coat should be a bit longer though, imo, and the trousers could do with some cleaning up at the back, but it's good for a first try.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads