• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get your opinions. I typically wear a size 40R and this jacket is a 42L. I am looking at sizing up because of my chest. I have suspicions that this jacket is just a tad too wide on the shoulders. Maybe a tad long for my body poportions even though Ihave a longer torso at 20 inches for my 5’11’’ height.

I know if I kept it I would need to have the sleeves shortened and the back taken in some. I just don’t want to do it if it is just to big on my shoulders no matter how much I love the cloth.

View attachment 2048083 View attachment 2048085 View attachment 2048087 View attachment 2048089 View attachment 2048091 View attachment 2048095 View attachment 2048097 View attachment 2048099 View attachment 2048103 View attachment 2048105 View attachment 2048107

Although not so big on the shoulders, the overall impression is that the jacket is too wide. As for the length, it's on the long side, somehow old-fashioned, but doesn't look bad or disproportioned (a whole body picture would be useful, though): I think that it's a matter of personal taste. Did you ever try a 40L?

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
How long should the cuff show on a french cuff with a Tuxedo? I feel like if I am hanging my arms straight down, it's showing about 1/2", but it disappears as soon as I move my arms around. Should I aim for longer sleeve so the sleeve doesn't pull up as I am moving around?
Very late response, but the length you have is correct.

vik93

Reaction score
Can I get opinions on the fit of this jacket please?
IMG_8618.jpeg
IMG_8619.jpeg
IMG_8620.jpeg

Last edited:

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Looks a bit tight across the lower back to me. Though I wonder if some of the oddity comes from the rear vents being basted shut.

vik93

Reaction score
Looks a bit tight across the lower back to me. Though I wonder if some of the oddity comes from the rear vents being basted shut.
I agree. You can see from the side shot it’s really preventing the lower back of the jacket from sitting right. Worst case, is this something a tailor could rectify?

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although not so big on the shoulders, the overall impression is that the jacket is too wide. As for the length, it's on the long side, somehow old-fashioned, but doesn't look bad or disproportioned (a whole body picture would be useful, though): I think that it's a matter of personal taste. Did you ever try a 40L?

Too long. You may want to try 42 - Regular for length, Slim for width.
I usually stay regular to give me more balance but I think I could use a little more width and shoulder which is why I was trying a 42L. I think 42R slim will likely be the sweetspot or just stick with 40R and maybe let out the chest a smidge.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
IMO, it needs letting out at the back waist and in the seat/skirts--vents flaring means the seat is a bit tight. Would be easier to judge collar fit if you were wearing a shirt buttoned at the neck. But the front, upper back, and sleeves look good. So if the collar fits, I'd take it to a good alterations tailor (somebody who makes/has made custom jackets). Like Sam Wazin in NYC. Or a non-SF-famous bespoke shop--most of them do alterations to survive. Ask what they think. I suspect somebody like that can make it look good.
Thank you. I think so too, but I’m also nothing close to an expert.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score

vik93

Reaction score
IMO, it needs letting out at the back waist and in the seat/skirts--vents flaring means the seat is a bit tight. Would be easier to judge collar fit if you were wearing a shirt buttoned at the neck. But the front, upper back, and sleeves look good. So if the collar fits, I'd take it to a good alterations tailor (somebody who makes/has made custom jackets). Like Sam Wazin in NYC. Or a non-SF-famous bespoke shop--most of them do alterations to survive. Ask what they think. I suspect somebody like that can make it look good.
Thanks for the input. Appreciated 👍

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads