• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

gthoren

Reaction score
Hi!

Just recieved my new Caruso blazer (EU 48 9R) from YOOX. I would love som advice for alterations.

The blazer fits great. The only thing I might change is to shorten the sleeves a bit. Do you think it looks good over the shoulders (I'm specially reffering to the back-photo)?

Hacking jacket

Reaction score

This is my first suit, a wool Jcrew Ludlow. Looking to see what can be done to improve the fit, as I am a very tall and skinny guy. I'm pretty new to the whole suiting thing, so criticise this fit as much as possible. This is pre tailoring. If anyone knows of any recommended tailors in Portland, Maine that would be much appreciated. Thank you for the feedback and I apologize for the phone pictures. 

For pre-alterations/reconstruction this looks really good. Needs shape.

totolino85

Reaction score
This is my first suit, a wool Jcrew Ludlow. Looking to see what can be done to improve the fit, as I am a very tall and skinny guy. I'm pretty new to the whole suiting thing, so criticise this fit as much as possible. This is pre tailoring. If anyone knows of any recommended tailors in Portland, Maine that would be much appreciated. Thank you for the feedback and I apologize for the phone pictures.

Well if that's pre taylor all my compliments for the picking !!! It does look excellent on you!
Trousairs are perfect in fit, depend how you like 'em but also the lenght seems ok to me, only small issue I see is the sleeve that's 3\4 inch too short .
But really no biggie, also the jacket fits you like a glove!

totolino85

Reaction score
Hi!

Just recieved my new Caruso blazer (EU 48 9R) from YOOX. I would love som advice for alterations.

The blazer fits great. The only thing I might change is to shorten the sleeves a bit. Do you think it looks good over the shoulders (I'm specially reffering to the back-photo)?

You really can see is Caruso , I'm in love with the brand
smile.gif

Back looks fine to me, only issue the arm lenght as you said..I'd not alter much anything else!

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Check the Tailor's tutorial thread on "Divots", but my understanding from Despos' explanation is that it results from putting something too large through the arm hole. You can try this by putting on a really thick sweater in a jacket that fits appropriately, and you might get the divot. At least that's my memory. The tailors will correct me but the tailor's tutorial thread has the explanation. Check it out.
Sorry for using you photo gthoren, but I would like to know if tailor can told me why does this heppens?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Check the Tailor's tutorial thread on "Divots", but my understanding from Despos' explanation is that it results from putting something too large through the arm hole. You can try this by putting on a really thick sweater in a jacket that fits appropriately, and you might get the divot. At least that's my memory. The tailors will correct me but the tailor's tutorial thread has the explanation. Check it out.

Thanks mate! I read the article some time ago, and I remember something about the armhole and the hole of the sleeve have to be concentric or something like that and when one, instead of getting an oval shape, it's forced to more of a circle, the divots appear. So in this case, the chest it's not fitting correctly?

Last edited:

Pelotonia

Reaction score
Sorry to use someone else's pic as a reference, but isn't the belt visibility under the jacket suggesting that the jacket is a bit tight in the waist? (In my mind, it's like a belt trace visible in the waist area)

OTCtailor

Reaction score
Shoulder "divots" occur when the jacket is too tight in the chest and/or blades or over the shoulders. The tightness pulls crosswise on the armscye causing it to collapse vertically. There is a resulting excess in length and tightening of the sleevehead which creates the classic divot. Tightness in the blades can possibly be rectified by letting out at the blades. Tightness in the chest is almost impossible to fix.
If you buy OTR and have prominent blades or chest, your options to prevent the divot is probably to go up a size...which unfortunately and sometimes undesirably increases the p2p. If you decrease the p2p on an OTR jacket, the chest circumference usually decreases as well which can create the divot when worn on a body that may have narrow shoulder spread but full in the chest/back. So, if you prefer a closer point to point for a more "Euro" look, you really need to consult with a tailor who can properly measure for it. Above a 42 OTR makes a more euro cut a little hard per size you go up, though somehow poorly fitting suits that are tight in the midsection with "X" shaped drags along with gaping lapels and p2p so close we can see your triceps pressing through your sleeves have become....fashionable..??
ffffuuuu.gif

This is why all you athletes out there are such easy custom clothing prey
biggrin.gif

So keep lifting those weights and and keep searching for custom clothes so I can keep my lights on!

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is why all you athletes out there are such easy custom clothing prey
biggrin.gif
So keep lifting those weights and and keep searching for custom clothes so I can keep my lights on!
Unfortunately I don't live in the states. :( And tailors here are not top class. You can see a few pages ago, I uploaded my firs bespoke jacket with some shoulder problems, send it back to them and still don't have it back. The only one that is lets says worthy is Antonio Solito, but they charge $20,000 pesos for a 2 piece suit just for workmanship plus cloth. I still can afford that in one exhibition payment. :(

gthoren

Reaction score
Thank you for your input!

From what I gather I should shorten the sleeves a little bit.

To tackle the problem with the divots at the shouldes I could let out the blades a litte bit. I can't really go up a size because I have a narrow wast and full chest.

I'm 179 cm, 107 cm chest and 87.5 cm waist.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
OTCtailor, question, how is the process to let out the shoulder blades? I need to get a better idea to explain that to my tailor, I have one jacket with that problem.
It's done at the area of the upper side seam but it cant be let out alot unless there is always corresponding outlet in the sleeve.

OTCtailor

Reaction score
I meant also corresponding outlet, not always

Winterbourne

Reaction score
I need some feedback on what alterations would be suitable for this suit. I purchased it last week at J.Crew. One of their stylists told me it looked as if it didn't need any alterations but when I had it on back home I thought the sleeves were a little long. I plan on wearing it for weddings/award ceremonies/interviews (first one of which is April 20th so I need to hurry). I'm around the Harrisburg area and still trying to decide on whom to go to.

EDIT: Boy, if only I knew about OTCtailor a week ago... I'm going to be in the market for a grey suit soon so this is good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads