• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The StyleForum Working Hierarchical Suit Quality List (SFWHSQL!)

classicman

Reaction score
Must be an uneducated sales associate

RLBL full canvas
Z Zegna mostly half canvas

Z Zegna pricing is usually in the 800-1200 range which is the norm for half canvas

Likely he was uneducated. But considering the closeness of price points of RLBL and Z Zegna/EA I was inclined to accept his statement was true.

Price points for Z Zegna is easily 1200+ these days.

Evidence:
Here is Z Zegna at Saks

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Z-Ze...=399545537&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374306424607

Here is RLBL at Saks

http://www.saksfifthavenue.com/Ralp...=399545537&FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374306424607

They are pretty much comparable as far as price points are concerned. RLBL is only $200-400 dollars costlier than Z Zegna yet offers full canvass construction.

And here are price points for Emporio Armani which again is comparable to Z Zegna and RLBL in price points.

http://www.armani.com/us/emporioarmani/men/suits/secondary

Last edited:

endless402

Reaction score
those are some expensive z zegna. most of the stuff in Canada is around 800-1200 and they go down to 600-900 when on sale.

most suit "upgrades" are in the $400 range...it adds up though...

I believe the full canvas upgrade on a BB 1818 was around 200-300...I don't remember.

full canvas is not the be all and end all. fabrics and construction quality can be more important to people

personally I rather have a half canvassed suit with better fabircs and construction than a full canvas suit with average fabrics

arsenalx

Reaction score
Giorgio Armani Black label comes in different flavors.

All GA Wall Street Suit models are fully canvassed, fully lined, good fabrics and well constructed (though machine made). They usually cost between $3300 - $4500.

The only model from GA that I know for sure is half canvassed is SoHo. I don't know for sure if Taylor and George Model suits are fully canvassed or if they are half canvassed as well.

I don't know of any GA suit model that is fully fused. I am a regular customer of GA black label ( and on that note for Zegna as well).

All GA MTM are fully canvassed. There Wall Street model is very comparable to Ermenegildo Zegna Sartorial line suit in terms of quality..
IIRC, only the Wall Street and Trader (incl. Trader, Trade Blu, etc) are fully canvassed. All other lines--Soho, Taylor, and George (they now only make suit separates for George)--are half canvassed and offer a slimmer silhouette than Wall St and Trader.
The rule of thumb for GA: if the MSRP is >$3,400, it's fully canvassed.

classicman

Reaction score
IIRC, only the Wall Street and Trader (incl. Trader, Trade Blu, etc) are fully canvassed. All other lines--Soho, Taylor, and George (they now only make suit separates for George)--are half canvassed and offer a slimmer silhouette than Wall St and Trader.
The rule of thumb for GA: if the MSRP is >$3,400, it's fully canvassed.

Hey Arsenal thanks for your input. Yeah I forgot to mention about Trader in my original post. Anyways, traders and wall street come in really good fabrics. There is one this season in Super 180s wool for $4825 in a Navy shade. The salesman claimed it has some basic hand work (hand stitching on lapels etc, button holes). I will have to have a closer look to confirm this. But you are right anything over $3400 is full canvassed.

Vin-Wei

Reaction score
I think this subject needs constant revisit and update.

Just a recent update that I have patronize Alfred Dunhill in the past 2 seasons and discovered that all their recent suits have moved up to a higher quality standard, for someone who has purchased Tom Ford suits before, you can notice they are basically the same quality and even share same fabrics from the EZ factory, which means they are in the league of Zegna Couture standard, but at significantly much lower price than TF and Zegna Couture.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, and price? Dunhill use to be mainline Zegna category with a mark up, now it's couture/XXX/15mm (no idea about Zegna's line these days) level with mark down?

Vin-Wei

Reaction score
I don't live in U.S. and have no idea about Dunhill US price. You can check Mr.Porter Dunhill price as reference. Maybe not that much handwork, but close on quality.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this subject needs constant revisit and update. 

Just a recent update that I have patronize Alfred Dunhill in the past 2 seasons and discovered that all their recent suits have moved up to a higher quality standard, for someone who has purchased Tom Ford suits before, you can notice they are basically the same quality and even share same fabrics from the EZ factory, which means they are in the league of Zegna Couture standard, but at significantly much lower price than TF and Zegna Couture.   

This doesn't make any sense. Zegna Couture has a slightly higher starting point than TF. Over here in singapore its actually about 1k SGD which at current (as of this post) exchange rates is $720 USD. This is understandable because even though they are made in the same place to the same standard TF does not have the handmade buttonholes of Zegna Couture and to me at least the fabric of Zegna Couture was slightly better which explains the price difference. For Dunhill to be significantly cheaper and to be made in the same place makes no sense at all, has it been confirmed by someone that this is the case?

Last edited:

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the US I think Zegna Couture is probably same Px as Tom Ford if not somewhat lower

When i used to live in NYC Tom Ford started at $3200 USD, $4200 for their standard grey 3 piece, Zegna couture started at about $5000. But regardless of which one starts more expensive they are roughly around the same pricing dependent on fabrics, for dunhill to be "significantly lower" makes no sense at all

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When i used to live in NYC Tom Ford started at $3200 USD, $4200 for their standard grey 3 piece, Zegna couture started at about $5000. But regardless of which one starts more expensive they are roughly around the same pricing dependent on fabrics, for dunhill to be "significantly lower" makes no sense at all

That TF price seems a bit low, was it say around 2010? I think it's more like $5K these days, haven't walk into Dunhill for a while, but last time I checked it's like <$3k for most?

Seamless

Reaction score

That TF price seems a bit low, was it say around 2010? I think it's more like $5K these days, haven't walk into Dunhill for a while, but last time I checked it's like <$3k for most?

I just bought my first and it was 3800.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads