• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In that company, I'm sure no one noticed your shirt buttons!

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Un)Fortunately so few people even know about black tie it isn't an issue. I, myself had to substitute a white shirt for a proper tuxedo (or studded) shirt due to a pre-event mishap. As long as you don't draw too much attention to it, let your natural charisma and savior faire carry you through it.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers dinner jacket and trousers (that I got in the seventies), Thomas Pink pique (Marcella) shirt, Barney's grosgrain tie and vest, and Allen-Edmonds Ritz black patent leather pumps.......

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never realized how boring traditional black tie looks... it's funny, to other non-style forumites, I bet they think that the tuxedo/dinner suit is top notch just by virtue of the black and white ensemble (they won't nitpick on lapels and studs etc).

but I see more of a boring black "suit"....

I have been infected with a vision of semi-foppish style being more "stylish"

What do you all think of something less traditional like this:

and also, I have this nagging idea of using a black watch tartan bow tie...

Last edited:

JamesNiven

Reaction score
@Roycru

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?

JamesNiven

Reaction score
@bringusingoodale

My personal opinion on traditional black tie is that the elegance and beauty is in the cleanliness and classicness (if that's even a word...) of the black (I refer to both midnight blue and black in this case) and white ensemble.

On the 2 tuxedos in the photo you showed, I feel that less traditional alternatives if done, well look fine.
But something like a navy tuxedo looks like a mass produced copycat of the midnight blue skyfall tuxedo.

Non-styleforumites probably also think that notch lapel tuxedos in latex catsuit like fit by probably Hugo Boss would also be quite top notch...
Our styleforumite nitpickiness is what I would say makes us stand out in a positive way amongst other badly-dressed men.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@Roycru Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?
Not RoyCru, but I've always understood pumps and plain toe patent leather to be acceptable with black tie, while pumps are pretty much required with white tie.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And one can call black tie boring, but it's not supposed to be flashy or interesting. It's the antithesis of peacocking. Elegance and neutrality is the goal.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules. The higher the formality (black tie, white tie, morning, etc.) the more strict the rules and less freedom to do what you want, but you can still express your style within those rules. The strict set of rules assure everyone looks good at a minimum standard.

The lower the formality the less rules and more freedom to express your style, but the freedom also results in more people looking bad. For example you might notice people well dressed in formal suits, sports jackets, but if they dress less formally like in MC casual their lack of sense and style is highlighted.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules. The higher the formality (black tie, white tie, morning, etc.) the more strict the rules and less freedom to do what you want, but you can still express your style within those rules. The strict set of rules assure everyone looks good at a minimum standard.

The lower the formality the less rules and more freedom to express your style, but the freedom also results in more people looking bad. For example you might notice people well dressed in formal suits, sports jackets, but if they dress less formally like in MC casual their lack of sense and style is highlighted.
I'm in complete agreement.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

And one can call black tie boring, but it's not supposed to be flashy or interesting. It's the antithesis of peacocking. Elegance and neutrality is the goal.
Yes, the gentleman's attire is meant to frame the canvas that is the lady he is accompanying. She is the peacock.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brothers dinner jacket and trousers (that I got in the seventies), Thomas Pink pique (Marcella) shirt, Barney's grosgrain tie and vest, and Allen-Edmonds Ritz black patent leather pumps.......

Superb.

I never realized how boring traditional black tie looks... it's funny, to other non-style forumites, I bet they think that the tuxedo/dinner suit is top notch just by virtue of the black and white ensemble (they won't nitpick on lapels and studs etc).

but I see more of a boring black "suit"....

I have been infected with a vision of semi-foppish style being more "stylish"

What do you all think of something less traditional like this:

and also, I have this nagging idea of using a black watch tartan bow tie...

I think you should seek treatment for your infection. There's nothing boring about black tie. If you've ever walked through a room and the crowd just parts as you walk through it, then you'd understand the power of a good dinner jacket.

Are those lapels supposed to be leather? If they are and if you were to wear such a jacket, you would look, I'm sorry to say, ridiculous.

@Roycru

Correct me if I'm wrong, but while those are quite beautiful patent leather pumps, isn't a patent leather oxford best suited to black tie while a patent leather pump is best suited to white tie?

Pumps are perfectly acceptable with black tie. As would be other white tie accessories, such as a white marcella vest, say.

This.

I don't really have the opportunity to wear black tie myself, but I think it's about expressing your style within a strict set of rules.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. But I make my own opportunities. I go out to dinner, I wear a dinner jacket.

Yes, the gentleman's attire is meant to frame the canvas that is the lady he is accompanying. She is the peacock.

Well, not perhaps a peacock (wrong gender, to say the least), but your point is true. I am but a backdrop to my wife, who dazzled last night in Camille Flawless and Christian Louboutin...

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am under 30 (though close to it) perhaps that has something to do with my sentiment of black tie seeming boring.

and like I said, not to offend anyone, but outside of small circle of clotheshorses and dandy aspirants and fops, no one will care if you aren't wearing "classic" men's black tie ensemble.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads