• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just a matter of people valuing them differently or is it because of the specific makeup (metal)?
It's the former. As a rule, you'll pay more when buying from a dealer than a private party. That said, some private parties set their prices at dealer level. As with most items it's best to buy at auction.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've seen plain (plated) MOP sets with vest studs for $50 and supposed "platinum inlay" similar looking sets with no vest studs for $500. Seems crazy. Ran across a set at a jeweler today (onyx with a small pearl in the center) for ~$325 total. They were for sale separately as cuff links/vest studs/shirt studs. The lady working the counter thought the vest studs were shirt studs and didn't know what the shirt studs were for.

I'm happy with a $50 plate MOP set for my needs.

Unregistered

Reaction score
Anyone have any source for shirt studs like these?

Plain smoke MOP without any exposed metal.

Preferably from a source that doesn't want £42 to ship a £24.50 set of studs...

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are the industrious sort you could fashion a reasonable facsimile in short order.

Last edited:

ferragamo2012

Reaction score
Just had the below tuxedo and shirt made for my wedding.

Specs are midnight blue, black grosgrain peak lapels, low button stance, jetted pockets and side vents. The shirt is pique, spread collar, hidden placket.

I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown).

It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants.

Thoughts?

palk

Reaction score

Not sure what your budget is or how exactly a match you're looking for, but onyx on yellow gold is fairly common. A quick search at Brooks Brothers found a stud & link set that matches pretty closely. Otherwise I'd just watch ruby lane closely until something turns up.

02///M3

Reaction score

Just had the below tuxedo and shirt made for my wedding. Specs are midnight blue, black grosgrain peak lapels, low button stance, jetted pockets and side vents. The shirt is pique, spread collar, hidden placket. I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown). It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants. Thoughts?
Looks great! Love that it's a true midnight and not navy. Not a huge fan of hidden placket, but that's obvious just personal preference. Congrats on the pending nuptials.

palk

Reaction score
I plan to wear it with velvet slippers, albert thurston white suspenders, kent wang grosgrain cummerbund and Brioni grosgrain bow tie (self-tie, not the one shown).

It is very wrinkled in the picture as it just came in. They are shortening the jacket sleeves (currently folded in causing the bunching), shirt sleeves and pants.

Thoughts?

So far so good, but want to see the finished set. The jacket looks like it fits you well save for the sleeves which are being adjusted. Can't see much of anything else in the picture; there are definitely some ruffles in the pants about knee level but I'm guessing they are a side effect of the trousers being unfinished. I'm sure they'll look great after they're properly hemmed.

Also, I believe velvet slippers are typically reserved for the host of the event, which for a wedding is traditionally the father of the bride. Assuming you are familiar with the leather goods store that is your namesake, Salvatore Ferragamo makes a smart looking patent oxford that I'd consider instead:

Or if you're really into slip-ons, they also make something that's sort of in-between a pump and a lace-up:

palk

Reaction score

Will this work as an alternative?

An alternative to what? I'd say they're about on par with wingtip brogues and we all saw how much flack Prince William took for wearing those to his reception. They're certainly the right color, but breaking from the style of black tie - If you don't want to go patent, then I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut) such as:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Will this work as an alternative?

An alternative to what? I'd say they're about on par with wingtip brogues and we all saw how much flack Prince William took for wearing those to his reception.  They're certainly the right color, but  breaking from the style of black tie - If you don't want to go patent, then I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut)

I'd have to agree with the above. Pebble-grain black captoes are kind of a confusing beast, and not something I'd pair with black tie. Offerings from Kent Wang or Allen Edmonds might suit instead.

disclaimer: I own the latter with a black Dainite sole; they're my go-to for weddings, funerals, eveningwear, orchestra concerts, job interviews -- anything reasonably spiffy in which the show must go on regardless of weather.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think you'd be better served by an untextured, polished calf-skin plain front oxford (preferably whole cut) such as:
The uppers are fine but the soles are too thick and prominent for formal shoes.
This is the type of sole treatment that is optimal for formal wear.

palk

Reaction score
The uppers are fine but the soles are too thick and prominent for formal shoes.

This is the type of sole treatment that is optimal for formal wear.

Completely agree: pumps are ideal. As lordsuperb was looking for alternatives to something, I assumed that pumps weren't an option and a less formal shoe was desired.

I particularly like the length and shape of the vamp on those. Where are they from?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads