• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, my cummerbund (and braces) arrived from Clermont Direct today, and it is beautiful. Already looking forward to wearing it Friday to the Frankfurt Opera (Wedding of Figaro), though would have loved to wear it last Saturday at La Traviata as well. Now to have buttons sewn onto my trousers.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions to source an inexpensive nice white silk tassled scarf and some white braces?

musicmax

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Any suggestions to source an inexpensive nice white silk tassled scarf and some white braces?

White moire braces by Albert Thurston (James Bond-approved)
http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/whitemoireveningbraces.aspx

White silk scarf by Turnbull & Asser (completed eBay listing; this seller has listed multiple T&A formal scarves so they may turn up with more)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261134853785

Not sure which of the other usual suspects (Brooks Brothers, Robert Talbott, Jos. A Bank etc.) carry both but this is definitely the time of year to be looking as a lot of BB formalwear has become only seasonally available.

Last edited:

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

White moire braces by Albert Thurston (James Bond-approved)
http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/whitemoireveningbraces.aspx
White silk scarf by Turnbull & Asser (completed eBay listing; this seller has listed multiple T&A formal scarves so they may turn up with more)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261134853785
Not sure which of the other usual suspects (Brooks Brothers, Robert Talbott, Jos. A Bank etc.) carry both but this is definitely the time of year to be looking as a lot of BB formalwear has become only seasonally available.

Is ivory acceptable for the scarf/braces or is that weird?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Avoid Jos. A Bank for braces! The leather used on the waistband attachments (formal versions may not have these; they may be textile) and the center piece on the back are cheap and poorly dyed. As a result I've gotten marks on my shirts.

Is ivory acceptable for the scarf/braces or is that weird?

Don't use a scarf personally, but my braces are ivory and I see nothing wrong with that. They're Trafalgar's silk variety, designed as formalwear, and quite nice, IMO.

I picked them up at a Barney's sale a year or so ago for a very good price and would recommend checking their stores near the end of the sale this year.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally have all my tux accessories after receiving my remade Indochino tuxedo. It's the best I could do given my current budget. Cummerbund is RL Polo (bought it for 50% off on ebay, new). Bowtie is from the Tie Bar, 100% silk.

The fit may not be 100% amazing, but it's pretty decent for what I paid. Shoes (not pictured) are Brooks Brothers patent lace up bals. Still need a white linen pocket square.

Srynerson

Reaction score

If I had **** you money I would certainly wear a tux every day after six, but sha-la-la.

When I spotted this post, I couldn't help but think of this exchange from 30 Rock:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I spotted this post, I couldn't help but think of this exchange from 30 Rock:

Still not as good as the time Jack got mugged and Liz comes back to find him in his tuxedo (middle of the afternoon). She asks why he's wearing a tux and he explains that his cufflinks were stolen, the only other pair he had were tuxedo cufflinks and to wear them without a tuxedo would be unheard of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads