• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Jazzthief

Reaction score
hpreston: In the earlier couple hundred pages of this thread, people heavily recommended the black tie guide. At some point it got purchased and filled with ads. I am not sure if the content has changed other than that.
The guide is still 90% brilliant, as the original content has not been altered much by the GG people. They do have inserted examples of the main guy wearing ill-fitting white- and black-tie ensembles with plastic boutons, and removed many great vintage illustrations, but the guide is still for the most part intact. I would still recommend it as the best evening dress guide and history lesson.

BlairW

Reaction score
Question around tuxedo bib shirts - is it a faux pas to have the bottom part of the bib showing? I assume the 'correct' way is to wear with a cummerbund, but is it acceptable to wear a bib style shirt with trousers where you can see where the bib ends?

gimpwiz

Reaction score
To my understanding, one wants to have the bib end just above the trousers, meaning just above your natural waistline, so that when you sit, you don't "fold" the bib with your trouser waistband; however, this creates visual ugliness with a visible end to the bib, but one that is easily and obviously covered by cummerbund or waistcoat. One might even go as far as to say that that's part of the reason many forum members repeat every time: "wear the bloody waist covering."

So - shirt, jacket, trousers, waist covering, they all work together when it comes to seeing the bib and only the bib.

A no-bib shirt (like a fly front / covered placket button shirt, or just one with a placket designed to be interchangeable for studs / button-strip), you wouldn't have this particular issue, because the placket would just go down to under your trousers and it wouldn't billow when folded because it's not starched or in any way naturally stiff.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question around tuxedo bib shirts - is it a faux pas to have the bottom part of the bib showing? I assume the 'correct' way is to wear with a cummerbund, but is it acceptable to wear a bib style shirt with trousers where you can see where the bib ends?
That would be a terrible idea. The bottom of the bib should never be seen.

BlairW

Reaction score
Understood. I wasn’t suggesting it was a good idea more asking how bad it would actually be if some was exposed.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
I guess it depends.

If I should happen to notice that there is a two millimeter gap between a fellow's trousers and bib, I'd probably just remind myself that poor light covers up minor flaws and life happens, and that it'd be nice to see a waist covering but honestly let's just enjoy the party and not pick nits.

If my friend asked my opinion I would mention that a waist covering may be unfashionable in 2023 (ugh I keep writing 2022) amongst some, but that it solves this problem neatly.

If I should happen to notice that there is a two centimeter gap between a fellow's trousers and bib, I'd internally roll my eyes, and possibly post a slightly snarky message on the styleforum ;) about how a gent should look in the mirror before heading out for the evening, because it's just ugly and obviously so, but hey maybe the man traveled far and realized last minute that they forgot a waist covering and what can you do?, life goes on.

If my friend asked my opinion, I'd ask him if he had eyeballs merely for show, and heckle him otherwise until he fixed the situation.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends.

If I should happen to notice that there is a two millimeter gap between a fellow's trousers and bib, I'd probably just remind myself that poor light covers up minor flaws and life happens, and that it'd be nice to see a waist covering but honestly let's just enjoy the party and not pick nits.

If my friend asked my opinion I would mention that a waist covering may be unfashionable in 2023 (ugh I keep writing 2022) amongst some, but that it solves this problem neatly.

If I should happen to notice that there is a two centimeter gap between a fellow's trousers and bib, I'd internally roll my eyes, and possibly post a slightly snarky message on the styleforum ;) about how a gent should look in the mirror before heading out for the evening, because it's just ugly and obviously so, but hey maybe the man traveled far and realized last minute that they forgot a waist covering and what can you do?, life goes on.

If my friend asked my opinion, I'd ask him if he had eyeballs merely for show, and heckle him otherwise until he fixed the situation.
Well, only one of these scenarios approximates the context of the question as asked. Thus I stand by my answer.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am pleased to inform you that I have read every post in this thread. It took at least two months of occasional perusing. It has been informational, inspirational, and in fact aspirational. A huge thank-you especially to the figurative giants of this thread.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I am pleased to inform you that I have read every post in this thread. It took at least two months of occasional perusing. It has been informational, inspirational, and in fact aspirational. A huge thank-you especially to the figurative giants of this thread.
Please summarize what you learned in 3 sentences or less in an adequate sarcastic tone

gimpwiz

Reaction score
StyleForum hivemind 2011: "Here are thirty-six rules for proper Black Tie. If you do not follow them, you shall be immediately seen as a man of poor means and worse repute, for these rules are as unbreakable as the chains that bind society itself, before we figured out nuclear weapons and facebook-run disinformation campaigns."

Andy57: "Hold my Negroni."

StyleForum hivemind 2023: "Okay, honestly, just do whatever Andy tells you. He looks better going to dinner than I did at my wedding. He's gonna tell you to wear a waist covering, I can tell you that right now, and he's right about it."

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
StyleForum hivemind 2011: "Here are thirty-six rules for proper Black Tie. If you do not follow them, you shall be immediately seen as a man of poor means and worse repute, for these rules are as unbreakable as the chains that bind society itself, before we figured out nuclear weapons and facebook-run disinformation campaigns."

StyleForum hivemind 2023: "Okay, honestly, just do whatever Andy tells you. He looks better going to dinner than I did at my wedding. He's gonna tell you to wear a waist covering, I can tell you that right now, and he's right about it."
A26D18FD-8405-448E-BF76-78DCBD884EEC.gif

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you already knew the answer to this question.
That is...inspiring

Thank you! And, yes, @BlairW, a waist covering solves that problem. So, not only should the bottom of the bib not be seen, the waistband of your trousers should not be seen, either.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And speaking of holding a Negroni, this is a white Negroni. Last year, while in Florence, we had dinner at an excellent restaurant and bar called Locale. My wife had a white Negroni, which she declared to be the best she had ever had. Upon our return home, I spent quite some time attempting to recreate it for her. I got close, with a combination of Luxardo white bitter and Dolin vermouth blanc, but it was not quite there same. So a couple of weeks ago we were back at Locale and she interrogated the bar staff and learned that they make their own bitter. Somehow, she persuaded them to sell her a small bottle of this secret ingredient. And we are holding the first white Negronis made with the Locale bitter. I'm also wearing my midnight blue dinner jacket for the first time in quite a while. Note the waist covering!
IMG_3530.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member