• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Nine Miler

Reaction score
I have posted my rig in this thread some time ago- but my question is- what are the collective thoughts on subbing out a POW check cummerbund for the traditional low cut vest for a winter black tie wedding. I do have a velvet collar chesterfield, as well. My thoughts are that I can sub this in with the traditional wedding tie pattern, and also stay a little cooler during indoor festivities. I got an RLPL cummerbund very inexpensively so maybe I am just trying to wear it, but I think this could be classic and tasteful as well.

Link to page with previous post (shows as second post on the page for me...)

http://www.styleforum.net/t/275650/the-state-of-black-tie-your-observations/1770

Last edited:

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shawl collar dk blue tuxedo, black tie (Sam Hober) and cummerbund (RLPL ribbed silk)

[VIDEO]

[/VIDEO]

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. The more I see midnight blue dinner jackets, the more I find myself liking them. I wonder if owning two sets of black tie clothes is excessive (okay, I know it is since I wear my dinner jacket only 6x or less per year).

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. The more I see midnight blue dinner jackets, the more I find myself liking them. I wonder if owning two sets of black tie clothes is excessive (okay, I know it is since I wear my dinner jacket only 6x or less per year).

Having two bespoke dinner suits, each of which gets worn 2-3x per year is excessive. But having a (relatively) cheap second tux that gets worn once per year probably isn't. Especially if it's reserved for that "I know I'm going to get **** spilled on me since this is gonna be rowdy" party you may or may not attend on an annual basis.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having two bespoke dinner suits, each of which gets worn 2-3x per year is excessive. But having a (relatively) cheap second tux that gets worn once per year probably isn't. Especially if it's reserved for that "I know I'm going to get **** spilled on me since this is gonna be rowdy" party you may or may not attend on an annual basis.

Does saying both would merely be MTM make this any less absurd? :)

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does saying both would merely be MTM make this any less absurd? :)

Hmm... Not sure about that one...

To me, the second tux should be something one finds on deep discount and considered the "fun" tux (for example, H&M velvet DJ and some tux trousers from J. Crew or a closeout from one of the English companies like CT, Aquascutum, or Austin Reed), but that's just me. It probably would never be used for real BT events, but the sort of thing I'd use for NYE when going to a place where some would be in jeans, some sweaters, some suits and maybe a tux or two.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep definitely excessive-- but fun! Esp if you have access to a decent city, plenty of opportunities to use them all (as for me-- Sartorio peak lapel blue tux, the RL polo shawl above, and shawl off white dinner jacket...talk about excessive!
1f633.png
)

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yep definitely excessive-- but fun! Esp if you have access to a decent city, plenty of opportunities to use them all (as for me-- Sartorio peak lapel blue tux, the RL polo shawl above, and shawl off white dinner jacket...talk about excessive!
1f633.png
)

But I'm guessing the Polo was probably around 10-20% of the cost of the (gorgeous!) Sartorio you've posted before, which sort of goes along with my theory of owning multiple tuxedos. And, while I don't see myself getting a cream DJ, I could absolutely see getting a velvet one some day (particularly a self-faced one which could be worn either for black tie or non).

Granted, I technically have two tuxedos hanging in my closet, one midnight RLBL peak and a black Zegna peak, but the latter is a size too small and doesn't really fit, hence why I bought the RL.

Had H&M brought back their shawl lapel tux in black this year I'd have considered it for "parties" (where the spilling of booze and food would be expected, stumbling would be likely, and the busting of a seam would follow the busting of a move) but the only one they had was a mostly poly jacket, w/o matching trousers available.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We Australian members have recently also been bemoaning the lack of black tie events so we are toying with the idea of simply creating our own.
There are a number of places in Melbourne, including a very traditional English style club, wood panelling, leather chesterfields etc, where you are free to join up and hire a room.
We would have strict rules and meet maybe four times a year which would justify investing in black tie.
For that personally I would visit my MTM tailor Patrick Johnson - but go to his city store Suit Shop where the suits are made in China, not Italy.
For $AUS800 (about $US2.50) you have choice of fabric, details etc.
Like Foo I would go for midnight blue, probably double breasted as I dislike cummerbunds, but peak and not shawl lapels, then all the traditional details with NO vents.
For shoes it's easy enough to get cheaper patents but our finest shoe store here, Double Monk (carries Lobb, EG, Cleverley etc) has a hi shine polishing service for $35 which I would employ on my black captoes.
It is an effort to keep the black tie alive and enjoy the company of fellow members knowing everyone will be dressed properly...

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just saying....the suitsupply navy velvet jacket looks amazing and priced well in my opinion!! I like the full velvet from them, too...

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/eveningwear-2014

*polo MTM tux was a good deal, MTM for off the rack price. I was unable to resist

But I'm guessing the Polo was probably around 10-20% of the cost of the (gorgeous!) Sartorio you've posted before, which sort of goes along with my theory of owning multiple tuxedos. And, while I don't see myself getting a cream DJ, I could absolutely see getting a velvet one some day (particularly a self-faced one which could be worn either for black tie or non).

Granted, I technically have two tuxedos hanging in my closet, one midnight RLBL peak and a black Zegna peak, but the latter is a size too small and doesn't really fit, hence why I bought the RL.

Had H&M brought back their shawl lapel tux in black this year I'd have considered it for "parties" (where the spilling of booze and food would be expected, stumbling would be likely, and the busting of a seam would follow the busting of a move) but the only one they had was a mostly poly jacket, w/o matching trousers available.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads