• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

Colr

Reaction score
Unless you're in the tropics, the bloke in the white jacket is the wine waiter.

jedwards

Reaction score
Mr. Canonico: "we often think of savile row as the ultimate suit"

Oh dear, you just pissed off a hell of a lot of tailors in your home market...

But anyway, I think the two hosts both looked great. Sad they are shamelessly conflating MTM with bespoke though.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I tried on a Belvest DB (That I'm selling) today. What's your opinion on the styling? And fit for that mater. Pants are not hemmed, so ignore them.

I'm thinking whether I should sell it, or just keep it, as I'm practically giving it away now (considering it's brand new)

Next up:

I have a semi-black tie party coming up on NYE. Last year, I wore a classic SB Peal lapel tux, and I really, really loved that look. It was from Corneliani...SB, unvented, wide peak lapels, one button, etc. I outgrew that one, so it went to B&S.

I currently have the DB above, and a pair of extra tuxedo trousers that fit me well. I'm thinking about buying some Shawl lapel Dinner jacket, but not sure which.

Velvet ? Or just textured? Which color? I've seen a couple of textured blue Kitons, but alas, far out of my price range now. I was hoping maybe Suitsupply had something, but seems like they've gone all velvet this year.

Any ideas for a DJ? The trousers are plain black with stripe on side.
Thanks

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello, 

I tried on a Belvest DB (That I'm selling) today. What's your opinion on the styling? And fit for that mater.
From what I can discern from the photo the fit looks pretty good. As for style: With DJs, I'd prefer a four button to a six button. A bit more old school.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that DB Belvest looks great, why sell it? May need to let out a touch here and there and lengthen the sleeves a quarter inch, but unless it's uncomfortable or you don't like the look I would say keep and wear.

As far as odd DJs go, I'd probably say go velvet since they're readily available, pretty classic and won't run the risk of looking cheesy (you'd have to go up to the Kiton level in order to get a textured one that didn't look like you were doing "creative" black tie).

I'm personally of the belief that a velvet DJ can be self-faced and think this is a nice looking one if you want something different from the standard mid-blue or burgundy:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Ralph-L...294963375&eItemId=prod172000184&cmCat=product

For one of those more traditional colors, on a thinner budget, this also looks nice (though I've seen it in person and you'll have to switch out the buttons, as they're brown):

https://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/sportcoatsandvests/velvet/PRDOVR~22273/22273.jsp

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From what I can discern from the photo the fit looks pretty good. As for style: With DJs, I'd prefer a four button to a six button. A bit more old school.

With a shawl lapel, I agree 100%. With a peak I go back and forth. Something about a four button peak lapel DB DJ looks off balance to me. Not sure what it is... Maybe it's just the particular ones I've seen.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Probably a sign of the times as well as my increasing social irrelevance, but the black tie list is much thinner this season.

I'm wondering if black tie is making a comeback. A friend and his gf threw a black tie holiday party last week and virtually everyone came in black tie.

beeg612

Reaction score
I agree with many - I like the tradition of black tie. But, residing in Orlando, I find myself making excuses to wear my tux. You go to five star restaurants and see people wearing jeans and tshirts. I think it speaks more to the overall climate of dress rather than specifically black tie. In fact, I saw someone at the opera recently in jeans, tshirt and sneakers.

I just wished people cared about how they look and that's why I still like black tie, when appropriate, of course. It shows respect for myself in taking the time to dress appropriately and respect for my host that I appreciate what they've done (whether it's a gala, charity event or opera) and I'm not going to show up looking like a bum. I don't wear black tie for the attention; I wear it to show respect.

nyarkies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time I dined in a restaurant with a business casual attire dress code. Somebody came in wearing shorts and flip flops. They still served the guy. :-/

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are probably right so I have to blame my declining social relevance.
Aren't most all black tie events associated with charitable causes or fundraising efforts? All you have to do is open up that dusty old checkbook of yours and you'll be back in play. ;)

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Aren't most all black tie events associated with charitable causes or fundraising efforts? All you have to do is open up that dusty old checkbook of yours and you'll be back in play. ;)
I was thinking more of the seasonal black tie social events. I have been seeing fewer of those (but as poorsod notes, that doesn't mean there are fewer of them, only that I am invited to fewer). I was at a social holiday party tonight, for example, and while there were many women in glittery, slinky party dresses, I was one of the few men in a tie and one of maybe two in a suit. While this one was not, in my memory, black tie, a few years ago suits would have been the norm.

Fundraising galas are less often black-tie also, I think, but as they are spread throughout the calendar, I am less likely to notice the decline.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My last few black tie events have all been fundraising galas and as noted, more and more are choosing black tie optional vs required.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemivawu