• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right Time to Die

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
An 88 year old family member who has required round-the-clock care for several years has suffered a stroke. Later today my family will be faced with a decision regarding feeding tubes. Once that decision is made -- if we elect to use them -- reversing it is not so easy.

When is it time to let nature take its course rather than resort to the artificial extension of life offered by medicine? When is it simply the right time to die?

I have a living will that takes the burden of such a decision away from others ... but that's no help here.

Acephale

Reaction score
Erm... that time of the year again...

Can family member undertand and communicate?

And any ideas of what family member wants to do?... As in for example my Father asked me to drive him to wherever... and it was decided that well what's the worst that can happen is that you'll die trying knowing that...

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sunror
extend as long as possible unless financially prohibitive

Why on both counts? Please and thank you.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When my Mom passed away, it was hard enough to make the decision not to do surgery, even though it was clear from her living will what she wanted. I can't imagine making such a decision on your own. Everyone should have a living will and make their wishes clear to family. I need to go make out a living will for myself. Thanks to the OP for the reminder.

Edit: To the OP, do your best to discern the wishes of the family member and realize you'll never make the right choice, so be kind to yourself. Others will second guess you and you'll second guess yourself.

eztantz

Reaction score
Why should finances dictate whether or not someone lives or dies. Are you perhaps a Malthusian? There is no one simple answer to this question. It depends on ones own ethical and religious values.

sunror

Reaction score
for the first, for the same reason we give people medicine, perform surgery, etc. i actually dont think the decision for life needs a reason or support, because it is life-affirming. to me the burden of proof is on the one who chooses death, which is a choice contrary to traditional societaly/medical choices

for the second, probably for the reason other people would choose against feeding tubes - because he's going to die soon anyway. i think this is where the choice to use the term natural v. nonnatural arises from. treatments for diabetes, aids, cancer etc, none (or not most) are natural, but we don't label them as unnatural life support because there's more likilihood at a traditional life with longer duration. in the situation of financial hardship, i think the resources would be better spent elsewhere than tacking on a few days, weeks, months, whatever, of reduced-quality-of-life life to one who is terminally ill

sunror

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eztantz
Why should finances dictate whether or not someone lives or dies. Are you perhaps a Malthusian? There is no one simple answer to this question. It depends on ones own ethical and religious values.

im not really sure what you mean by 'should,' finances do dictate whether people live or die, and how they live and die

eztantz

Reaction score
im not really sure what you mean by 'should,' finances do dictate whether people live or die, and how they live and die

I was referring to this:

WHY?

Acephale

Reaction score
Palliative care.

End of story.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
To the OP, do your best to discern the wishes of the family member and realize you'll never make the right choice, so be kind to yourself. Others will second guess you and you'll second guess yourself.
Thank you. This is not a first time to be in such a situation -- with other relatives, of course -- and you are 100% correct.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AcÃ
00a9.png
phale
Palliative care.

End of story.

This is what I'm suggesting ... preferably at home rather than in the cold confines of a hospital. Perhaps because it's what I would choose.

But the decision is not up to me alone.

Acephale

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
This is what I'm suggesting ... preferably at home rather than in the cold confines of a hospital. Perhaps because it's what I would choose. But the decision is not up to me alone.
Get your family member 'home' asap. There are peoples who will do all all the home hospice care but it takes time and that is probably the one thing you do not have. So you may have to. My Father went into hospital 10 days before Christmas... It was Christmas so... but by which time he knew that it was the last Christmas he would have so... the choice was... After New Year as I mentioned he was asking me to drive him to France... pushing luck and... What do you think your family member would want - to sleep in his/her own bed again/smell and feel the air of there... feel... Oh and strength and love to you all.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One observation I've made on this, and it's purely anecdotal, is that no one I know says "please keep me alive as long as possible, even if "alive" only means a machine is keeping my systems functioning." I just don't know anyone who would choose to live like this, particularly those who have had a long life.

For me, if I were 88 years old, already in bad shape, and suffered a stroke that doesn't allow me to enjoy life, I would have no trouble believing it's my time to go. It's one thing to live with a disability that allows one to function at a diminished capacity. However, if my life were confined to a bed/chair and I was in such bad shape that I needed a tube for nourishment, I would have no trouble letting go.

Good luck with this, I'm sure it's a terrible position to be in. I hope you're able to find a resolution that brings everyone involved peace.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My children have very clear instructions that I am NOT to be hooked up to any machine that exists solely to keep me alive. No resucitation, no heroic measures.

There are also provisions to immediately cremate my remains, and a sum of money reserved to throw a party including an open bar.

I hope to simply die. Quickly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads