• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
why not just ask Edward Sexton directly, my past experience have been they can do certain small things

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean ES as a shop, Nina is doing lots of visit and she is definitely to happy to direct the shop if small tweak can be done

Themistocles

Reaction score
Does anyone own one of the newer Permanent Style balmacaans (~720 grams I believe) and not think it’s actually warm? If I’m wearing a just cotton sweater or shirt underneath it doesn’t feel warm, and the wind seems to rip through it regardless. If I’m really layered up (shirt, thick wool Irish wool sweater, maybe a scarf) then it seems ok, but honestly disappointed. Even more so with the new double breasted coat being described as a “true winter coat”. So is this supposed to be a dramatic fall/spring coat that the second you need to button it up you need a different coat? Coat looks great, but overall pretty disappointed in it as a winter coat. For context, I’m in Massachusetts and this winter has been colder and windier than last year so really putting this coat through its paces for the first time seriously.

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone own one of the newer Permanent Style balmacaans (~720 grams I believe) and not think it’s actually warm? If I’m wearing a just cotton sweater or shirt underneath it doesn’t feel warm, and the wind seems to rip through it regardless. If I’m really layered up (shirt, thick wool Irish wool sweater, maybe a scarf) then it seems ok, but honestly disappointed. Even more so with the new double breasted coat being described as a “true winter coat”. So is this supposed to be a dramatic fall/spring coat that the second you need to button it up you need a different coat? Coat looks great, but overall pretty disappointed in it as a winter coat. For context, I’m in Massachusetts and this winter has been colder and windier than last year so really putting this coat through its paces for the first time seriously.
No experience with it, but tweed is a fairly open weave cloth so it doesn't block wind that well in my experience.
Also keep in mind that winters in the UK are a lot milder than in much of the United States, so a "true winter coat" to Simon may mean something different than it means to you.
To be honest, below a certain temperature there are few overcoats that will cut it and it's time to take out your down-filled parka.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with it, but tweed is a fairly open weave cloth so it doesn't block wind that well in my experience.
Also keep in mind that winters in the UK are a lot milder than in much of the United States, so a "true winter coat" to Simon may mean something different than it means to you.
To be honest, below a certain temperature there are few overcoats that will cut it and it's time to take out your down-filled parka.
Remember , half of the Pilgrims died in MA during the first Winter.
Other than climate, disease, low resistance, etc probably took it's
toll. Nevertheless, when I stood on the commuter rail platform and then walked 4 blocks to my office in Chicago, I wore a 32 OZ (907 gram) British Warm , or an Invertere Melton greatcoat, or a down jacket. Wind Chill etc was a major multiplier. What works in frosty London may not measure up to the rigors of North America. Now, Scotland may be a more valid comparison.

Last edited:

St1X

Reaction score
I have a few coats that are 720 gr/sqm and they are pretty warm at up to -10 C in Stockholm. It rarely gets colder here. However it's often is really windy here and those coats don't cut it anymore. I have to go for my parka. But I wore it 3-5 times in 5 years

slows2k

Reaction score

I live in California and the coats are definitely warm enough for winters here, and we get down to freezing temps, but thats nowhere near NE and the upper midwest.

I always think of the scene in the John Adams miniseries where his son, JQA, is preparing to go to St. Petersburg and asks JA, "will it be very cold there?" and JA responds, "not for a NE man".

Gave me a reference for how cold it actually gets in that part of the US.

Last edited:

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I live in California and the coats are definitely warm enough for winters here, and we get down to freezing temps, but thats nowhere near NE and the upper midwest.

I always think of the scene in the John Adams miniseries where his son, JAJ, is preparing to go to St. Petersburg and asks JA, "will it be very cold there?" and JA responds, "not for a NE man".

Cold and then there are the truly cold places in the middle of the country.

slows2k

Reaction score
Cold and then there are the truly cold places in the middle of the country.

As a native Californian who certainly has seen snow and freezing temps (everyone thinks its only like socal winters everywhere here, but it isn't) I still have literally no reference point for what it actually feels like when I talk to someone from Minnesota or thereabouts and they say like, "-20 with wind"

I just...don't even know what that could even feel like.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I always think of the scene in the John Adams miniseries where his son, JQA, is preparing to go to St. Petersburg and asks JA, "will it be very cold there?" and JA responds, "not for a NE man".

Lived in Boston for 7 years and 2 of those near the Charles. Rarely encountered weather colder or windier.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a native Californian who certainly has seen snow and freezing temps (everyone thinks its only like socal winters everywhere here, but it isn't) I still have literally no reference point for what it actually feels like when I talk to someone from Minnesota or thereabouts and they say like, "-20 with wind"

I just...don't even know what that could even feel like.
Minnesota: If you can’t handle me at my worst, you don’t deserve me at my other worst.
IMG_5423.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads