• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm considering having an Ulster made out of 35 oz Melton fabric. Any opinions on the look of an Ulster made out of Melton fabric? I've never seen one and not sure if the stiffer and denser Melton fabric will suit the look. I'm looking for a formal coat (mid calf), but I don't want to look like a British guard which I'm afraid the stiffer fabric might achieve.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering having an Ulster made out of 35 oz Melton fabric. Any opinions on the look of an Ulster made out of Melton fabric? I've never seen one and not sure if the stiffer and denser Melton fabric will suit the look. I'm looking for a formal coat (mid calf), but I don't want to look like a British guard which I'm afraid the stiffer fabric might achieve.
Not a fabric expert, but I love Melton and this sounds really cool and formidable. You might also want to consider the weight - it can get quite heavy.

Themistocles

Reaction score
Layering kind just kills for me, the typical situation is cold outside and really warm inside office, one coat is enough I don’t want to undo things, re do things…
This is the biggest issue. If I thought I was walking outside all day, I’ll put on a really chunky wool sweater, and over shirt, etc., but that’s doesn’t work in normal day to day.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fabric expert, but I love Melton and this sounds really cool and formidable. You might also want to consider the weight - it can get quite heavy.
As I mention before, I had a 32 oz British Warm and an even heavier great coat from Invertere.
They are HEAVY. Especially when compared to a lighter but very tightly woven "Loden"
Balmacaan that I wore in my Chicago days.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A beautiful Ulster Coat, Sartoria Dalcuore bespoke, heavy woollen cloth from Fox Brothers.

Screenshot (977).png

Screenshot (976).png

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember reading once that there was no place else in the world like the American Midwest that had a cluster of very rich cities (by world standards) that were both very cold in the winter and very hot and humid during the summer.

For example, I can’t think of any large, non-Mediterranean, Western European city that consistently gets either as cold as a Minneapolis/Chicago winter, nor as hot as the combined heat/humidity index summers there (I’m prepared to be corrected if I’m wrong here).

One of the writer’s points on these being rich cities was the assumption that residents had the means to live elsewhere, but presumably chose not to.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I remember reading once that there was no place else in the world like the American Midwest that had a cluster of very rich cities (by world standards) that were both very cold in the winter and very hot and humid during the summer.

For example, I can’t think of any large, non-Mediterranean, Western European city that consistently gets either as cold as a Minneapolis/Chicago winter, nor as hot as the combined heat/humidity index summers there (I’m prepared to be corrected if I’m wrong here).

One of the writer’s points on these being rich cities was the assumption that residents had the means to live elsewhere, but presumably chose not to.
Many of these cities were boom towns in the late 19th through the mid 20th century with massive wealth creation a la contemporary Silicon Valley, where I live. Chicago and Minneapolis and smaller
cities like Columbus, Ohio remain very wealthy. I lived in Chicago for over 15 years and many of
the native born wealthy couldn't think of living anywhere else but often had second or third homes
in warm places and/or even colder places for the skiing.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Europe is so small that we don't really have those inland climates that you speak of. Only ones I can think of that come close are cities near alpine region. Vienna, München, Switzerland et.c.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing quite like starting a car that has been parked on the street when the temp
dipped to -15 F (-26 C.)over night. I did it many times when I lived in Chicago and
upsate Ndew York. BTW, the car heater is useless untill the engine warms up.
Another reason why the locals in the Upper Mid-west are into ice fishing and snowmobiling.
Terrain is mostly too flat for skiing, other than Cross-Country (Nordic), a sport I became
addicted to because it required more stamina then technique.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Europe is so small that we don't really have those inland climates that you speak of. Only ones I can think of that come close are cities near alpine region. Vienna, München, Switzerland et.c.
Not in the Mid-West, but Montreal, Toronto, and Ottawa qualify as very cold wealthy cities.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
where were you in upstate, I remember it occasionally (as in every few years) it would hit -20C but -26C, don't really recall it (though once we had snow on graduation date)

St1X

Reaction score
Western Europe is just a small part of Europe and it is not correct to compare it to the entire US, which in itself is bigger than the whole EU. Eastern Europe has large cities (albeit not wealthy) where summers are super hot and winters are super cold

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads