• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

GaiusM

Reaction score
I love the look of this balmacaan:

https://labourunion-1986.com/collec...ed-wool-balmacaan-coat?variant=43724293996782

but reticent about buying because of the brand - does anyone have any experience with labour union? The brand name is a bit... on-the-nose. And as it's from China, it'll be a pain if I need to return it.

Does anyone know of any brands doing something similar at a similar price? (This is ยฃ260)
20% polyester
To a certain extent you get what you pay for in tailoring. You can probably find a coat similar in price and qualitt at Uniqlo.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20% polyester
To a certain extent you get what you pay for in tailoring.

Give one a break, bro.

Does that extra 20% natural fiber you happen to get on an English/Italian equivalent equal the x10 retail prices of those compared to this?

... You can probably find a coat similar in price and qualitt at Uniqlo.

Doesn't that mean this coat is relatively very good value?

Last edited:

Bric3d

Reaction score
I know, it looks great and can't find anything like it without spending ยฃ800+

The Uniqlo balmacaan, alas, is very boring.
If you have the time, keep an eye on sales for the ยฃ800 ones you like, they get discounted in the ยฃ400 usually (January is probably the next sale for these). Given the price of the one linked above it might still be a bit to steep, but it's worth considering in my opinion.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, some overlapping and mixture is common, so that sometimes it's difficult to define exactly what a style precisely is, and whether a garment is more in this or that style.

Here an overcoat made by Ciardi for Crompton in a Holland & Sherry British Warm cloth. Despite the fabric I would identify it as a Polo Coat.

The guy has a lot of lovely overcoats, this is also a perfect fit in my eyes. I wouldn't wear it with a crew neck sweater and jeans but he does and it doesn't look too bad.

View attachment 2055953
View attachment 2055955
View attachment 2055959
View attachment 2055961 View attachment 2055963

By the way, lovely shade of greyish brown or taupe colour, what according to @comrade was defined "pink" in the uniform of US soldiers.
I think Simon's coat is a bit too trim for a Polo. It almost fits
like a British Warm.

Reaction score
Where can i get a duffle coat like the ones in the pictures, i looked at the gloverall monty, and it looks much shorter than the ones in the picture?

Attachments

• 5D61B02C-C4D6-47E2-91FD-8F345E2981D4.png
    5D61B02C-C4D6-47E2-91FD-8F345E2981D4.png
    422.9 KB · Views: 277
  • 98A6DE05-2221-4BD1-BDED-66DCE56FE2A2.jpeg
    98A6DE05-2221-4BD1-BDED-66DCE56FE2A2.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 284

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Simon's coat is a bit too trim for a Polo. It almost fits
like a British Warm.
Idk. I donโ€™t worry about that. Itโ€™s about does it look good? And my answer is yes. I like his coat from Ciardi. I like it as much as the magical liverano ulster.

Maybe itโ€™s a British warm. Perhaps, given that I linked the caraceni British warm, thatโ€™s what I like. I think I just like db overcoats.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got me a vintage RL polo coat. It has some nicks and scrapes, and the nap is worn down on the edges, but it nails the idea for me for a relaxed, slouchy coat.

There can be a line between relaxed and slouchy vs sloppy though. Will wear it a couple times and see if I want to have the silhouette shortened and trimmed a bit.

20231104-125134-2.jpg

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got me a vintage RL polo coat. It has some nicks and scrapes, and the nap is worn down on the edges, but it nails the idea for me for a relaxed, slouchy coat.

There can be a line between relaxed and slouchy vs sloppy though. Will wear it a couple times and see if I want to have the silhouette shortened and trimmed a bit.

20231104-125134-2.jpg
Put it on over a suit jacket, but for me, itโ€™s sloppy

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20231104-125134-2.jpg

That fit is Polo coat perfection.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20231104-125134-2.jpg

In my eyes it's too baggy, but I understand that this is the fit many are looking for.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my eyes it's too baggy, but I understand that this is the fit many are looking for.

Only the shoulders are too big. @FlyingHorker grab some dumbbells and do 100 sets of 100 reps of shoulder exercises every day and you'll fill out that coat perfectly :)

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That' what we cognescenti call a "food pantry" Polo. The look that is de rigeur
for those who line up daily to get free food at the local church. Most of us SF-types,
who can afford to feed ourselves, favor a trimmer aesthetic.

Jason12

Reaction score
I love the look of this balmacaan:

https://labourunion-1986.com/collec...ed-wool-balmacaan-coat?variant=43724293996782

but reticent about buying because of the brand - does anyone have any experience with labour union? The brand name is a bit... on-the-nose. And as it's from China, it'll be a pain if I need to return it.

Does anyone know of any brands doing something similar at a similar price? (This is ยฃ260)
I only have heavyweight t shirts and henleys from this brand or a similar chinese brand and they are quite substantial feeling, definitely better than most brands in this range. Generally pay attention to the measuring charts as chinese brands are going to fit smaller than western brands or go one size up

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads