• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

MacGuffen

Reaction score
I can recommend the Ring Jacket balmacaan sold by Andrea Seoul.
1699648944900.png
1699648936641.png

1699648918732.png

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put it on over a suit jacket, but for me, it’s sloppy
I did, and I noticed the shoulders were more filled out.

Looks like if I want to go slouchy, just wear my hoodies. If more structured/filled out, wear my sports coats/suits.

I'll take it! Better than a coat that's too tight.
That fit is Polo coat perfection.
IMO, Ralph Lauren does polo coats best. Completely worth it.
In my eyes it's too baggy, but I understand that this is the fit many are looking for.
All good man.
Only the shoulders are too big. @FlyingHorker grab some dumbbells and do 100 sets of 100 reps of shoulder exercises every day and you'll fill out that coat perfectly :)
I love smashing side and rear delts as often as possible. Fortunately the coat fills out when I wear a suit jacket underneath.

When I get my other polo coat back from the tailor, I'll post a comparison picture for everyone. The silhouette and cut looks more like Spier & Mackay's polo coat.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at this used wool-alpaca overcoat, and trying to figure out if the creases and lines running through the (slightly fuzzy alpaca blend fabric) are just from folding in storage for years, and will go away with pressing or hanging? Or if they are marks that are now pretty much permanent?
View attachment 2065857
No idea, but that coat and fabric looks worth the risk. I'd personally risk it, but take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm an enabler.

@ZRH1 The thread below is useful for fabric advice.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Yes I think so.

I see no reason why either wouldn’t make a stunning cost.
Would one be better/more suitable for a chesterfield style coat, or don't you think it'd matter?
Also, what do you guys think about the buttons? Hidden or visible buttons?

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would one be better/more suitable for a chesterfield style coat, or don't you think it'd matter?
Also, what do you guys think about the buttons? Hidden or visible buttons?
Double or single breasted?

For me, it’d be double breasted. Peak lapels like Roger Moore in James Bond. I’d have to see each fabric in person. Trust your tailor to break the tie

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did, and I noticed the shoulders were more filled out.

Looks like if I want to go slouchy, just wear my hoodies. If more structured/filled out, wear my sports coats/suits.

I'll take it! Better than a coat that's too tight.

IMO, Ralph Lauren does polo coats best. Completely worth it.

All good man.

I love smashing side and rear delts as often as possible. Fortunately the coat fills out when I wear a suit jacket underneath.

When I get my other polo coat back from the tailor, I'll post a comparison picture for everyone. The silhouette and cut looks more like Spier & Mackay's polo coat.
Are you able to post pic of the filled coat look as if find it hard to believe. It is a couple of sizes too big and a coat that imitates the look of a sack is just as awful as a tight coat. Pictures can be deceiving but we all judge fit pictures here.

Unless you are going for some gangsta paradise, Kanye look then that coat is perfect!!

Last edited:

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Double or single breasted?

For me, it’d be double breasted. Peak lapels like Roger Moore in James Bond. I’d have to see each fabric in person. Trust your tailor to break the tie
Single breasted, of course. Hence the question of having hidden buttons.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Single breasted, of course. Hence the question of having hidden buttons.
For a Chester? I guess you could. Hidden if you’re set on single. But double breasted is better imo.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you able to post pic of the filled coat look as if find it hard to believe. It is a couple of sizes too big and a coat that imitates the look of a sack is just as awful as a tight coat. Pictures can be deceiving but we all judge fit pictures here.

Unless you are going for some gangsta paradise, Kanye look then that coat is perfect!!
I agree. I find it hard to believe. But maybe? Only op knows. It looks 3 sizes too big but that’s just from one photo so I’m withholding judgment

Baked Potato

Reaction score
For a Chester? I guess you could. Hidden if you’re set on single. But double breasted is better imo.
I already have a navy polo coat on the way, so they’d be very similar if I’d go for another double breasted coat…

Last edited:

goalaso

Reaction score
What do people think about this?

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the thumbnail it looks nice, but if I click the link, it doesn't show, nor I can find it by searching in the website.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My motto: See Polo Coat, buy Polo Coat.

goalaso

Reaction score
In the thumbnail it looks nice, but if I click the link, it doesn't show, nor I can find it by searching in the website.
I reposted a slightly different link. Both work for me:

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I reposted a slightly different link. Both work for me:

Thanks, unfortunately my browser switches automatically to the European site that evidently hasn't it in stock.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads