• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Overcoat Thread

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^PRL has the Morehouse polo coat on discount right now (and will probably drop more of you wait given most sizes still available) that sounds like it would for your needs.

NMWA also has a DB coat with Sartoria Carrera that may work

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of pic? Rar.

Can't find anything immediately representative of what I'm looking for, but I'm wanting double-breasted with peak lapels, 6 button, pronounced shoulders. I'm basically looking for a polo coat in a material/color other than camel.

Crowley is my backup plan.
Isn’t the Anthology polo coat exactly what you’re looking for? Unclear to me what your budget is but at $2k it’s far less than $10k. You can get it in pretty much any material you like.

Lausa

Reaction score
This overcoat, inspired to a bridge coat, the garment worn by officers on a ship, is actually too sporty/casual for a suit, in my opinion. It would combine well with separates and more casual wear.

View attachment 2018165
Thanks for the input! I had a feeling it might be like this. I think It might be better to go with a classic navy chesterfield-type coat for my purpose, to wear it with a suit and casually, what do you think?

Last edited:

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on this guy?

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I had a feeling it might be like this. I think It might be better to go with a classic navy chesterfield-type coat for my purpose, to wear it with a suit and casually, what do you think?

A classic chesterfield coat is the natural complement to a suit.

Here a single breasted one.

Screenshot (756).png

Its high grade of formality makes it a difficult match with casual wear, though.

Of course, nowadays people also wear casual coats with suits, but I think that you should ideally have different garments for formal and casual wear.

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I am thinking about thrifting a Balmacaan coat, sorry if I use the wrong term, pics attached below (Image 1) to illustrate what kind of coat I'm talking about. Though the torso measurements fit me nicely (only hand length alteration needed), I'm still a bit hesitate to acquire the piece, because it's not the kind of style that I like (coats with lapels). But considering that its made of Loro Piana fabric with awesome pattern and color (Image 2), and it's only (roughly) $20, it really is a bargain.

So the question is, since I (and my body) am not a fan of Balmacaan coat, is it possible to have this coat altered to a Single Breasted with (9-11cm wide) lapels? Thanks you guys so much, and I hope that you have a nice day!

balmacaan-donegal-barleycorn-tweed-dark-brown-1@2x.jpg

Image 1: What I mean by saying "Balmacaan coat".

1693827808630.png

Image 2: The coat's fabric

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I am thinking about thrifting a really a Balmacaan coat, sorry if I use the wrong term, pics attached below (Image 1) to illustrate what of coat I'm talking about. The torso measurements fit me nicely, only hand length alteration needed. But the thing that drives my desire to acquire this coat is, its made of Loro Piana fabric with awesome pattern and color (Image 2), and it's only (roughly) $20.

So the question is, since I (and my body) am not a fan of Balmacaan coat, is it possible to have this coat altered to a Single Breasted with (9-11cm wide) lapels? Thanks you guys so much, and I hope that you have a nice day!

1693827808630.png

Very nice cloth indeed, and the price is an absolute bargain. I would leave the garment as it is, because the alteration would be too substantial and I doubt that the result would be good.

GaiusM

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I am thinking about thrifting a Balmacaan coat, sorry if I use the wrong term, pics attached below (Image 1) to illustrate what kind of coat I'm talking about. Though the torso measurements fit me nicely (only hand length alteration needed), I'm still a bit hesitate to acquire the piece, because it's not the kind of style that I like (coats with lapels). But considering that its made of Loro Piana fabric with awesome pattern and color (Image 2), and it's only (roughly) $20, it really is a bargain.

1693827808630.png

It would be like altering an OCBD into a Henley. Even if possible a waste of time, money and a good garment.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the droopy shoulder, it's a nice change from the ubiquitous rounded raglan. I wouldn't suggest this to someone looking for a balmacaan but since you're in the market for more pronounced shoulders this might be a nice middle ground @whorishconsumer

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Understood that the Ulster is traditionally a tweed coat...but in my mind, DB leans more formal and I would only wind up wearing it for dress-up occasions (tux, suit, sport coats but not with t-shirt and jeans) therefore warrants a more formal cloth and the SB leans more casual (t-shirt and jeans and up to sport coats, but shy of formal suits and tux) and therefore would be better in a more casual tweed.

Jack of all trades, master of none, but oftentimes better than a master of one...

Also, I tend to wear a lot of tweed sport coats in the winter, so I'd to try and avoid tweed on tweed
Food for thought:
L._Fellows_1934_diamondtweeds.jpg

get image gent horses.jpg

get image gent riding.jpg

Attachments

• get image gent riding.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 87
  • get image gent riding.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 92

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recommendations for made to measure overcoats? I'm looking for a bright red wool or wool/blend, with a polo or loden collar, and wear somewhere between a US 34S/44IT and 36S/46IT. Preferred detailing would be two-breasted, with welted pockets, and a half belt (or heavy front darting). So far, I've had no luck finding anything like this.
Lots of red wool melton from English suppliers (British military uniforms). You can also buy red coating from cloth merchants focused on women's wear, like Mood Fabrics. Then take it to MyTailor/Divij.com. Or, if you have a relationship with them, you could take it to a clothier that does MTM with Samuelsohn, Coppley, etc. They'd probably accept the cloth if you've already bought from them.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brands that used to make good stuff. Burberry, aquascutum, rodex, invertere.

You’re in nyc right? Drop by Sean Crowley - he always has a bunch of tweed coats any time I step in there (~$500 range though)

Invertere went out of business more than a decade ago.

CityDweller

Reaction score
Lots of red wool melton from English suppliers (British military uniforms). You can also buy red coating from cloth merchants focused on women's wear, like Mood Fabrics. Then take it to MyTailor/Divij.com. Or, if you have a relationship with them, you could take it to a clothier that does MTM with Samuelsohn, Coppley, etc. They'd probably accept the cloth if you've already bought from them.
Thanks for the tip! There's a lovely Moon fabric (called "Redcoat," of course) that I'd like to use, but I haven't been able to find someone who will make something using it. It looks like there's a couple of places that work with Samuelsohn in the DMV, so that may ben an option.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genaaa