• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I asked about the knot because I picked up a Drake's rust donegal in one of the sales. The knot is, shall we say, substantial even though the tie is untipped. Perhaps it's partly the lining...

Square is lovely too, btw. Does it work well with the herringbone? I'm trying to think what squares would do well with a coat of that pattern.

I like Drake's, but their "default" construction is fairly standard and middle of the road. Meaning, not too light or too heavy. I enjoy it, but also enjoy the "lightness" of Vanda.

The herringbone is actually just a piece of cloth I had laying around, but was about to send to a tailor to be made into a sport coat. I'm hoping that square will work well with it, however.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Drake's ties can tie very badly in my experience. They're hit and miss.

In my limited experience, the statistics agree with you. For the prices they are charging, the probabilities should be better than hit and miss. But let's dwell on the positive...

I do wish Vanda had more classic English fabrics though. I am sure they are limited by the small scale of their operation, so it would be benefit us all of their customer base grew.

I think more pics from customers would help that. From my perspective, it would be great to see some of the current ties irl. The donegal is really fantastic...I wish I had got the blue one just posted (they have a rust as well).

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I looked through the photos that I've already posted to SF and only found one other Vanda. This is, I think, one of their nicest ties. Just ridiculously soft while still making a great knot. I didn't really do it justice in this photo.

Dib

Reaction score

I asked about the knot because I picked up a Drake's rust donegal in one of the sales. The knot is, shall we say, substantial even though the tie is untipped. Perhaps it's partly the lining...

The fact the tie is untipped has no impact on the knot - the two are entirely unrelated

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Donegal tweed tie by Vanda, made from a lightweight blue fabric I believe they had specially woven for them by Molloy & Sons.

Excellent stuff.

I am wearing this tie today. It's wonderful. Will try to take a picture later.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the grey-on-grey silk/linen?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the turquoise-grey and it's great.

Looking specifically for someone who's got the grey and doesn't think it's great :devil:

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good news, and glad you're enjoying what appears to have been the last one in stock...

Edit: Couple left - get yours now before I do :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads