• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Vanda Fine Clothing Thread

Dib

Reaction score

So pretty The navy-light blue fancy wool - beautifully dry to the hand. Can't wait to wear it this week.
Beautiful - i can't seem to see this on the Vanda website, is this the slate blue grenadine they had a few months back?

Evolve

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Yes, and they won't even add one by request on custom orders, which, unfortunately, is a deal breaker for me. I think their product is otherwise great, but the no-keeper thing just doesn't work for me. Fortunately for them, they seem to have enough customers who don't share my view.

I find it odd that they won't add a keeper if requested on a custom order. I also find it odd that the lack of a keeper is a deal breaker for you. I never use the keeper. I dislike the sprezzy small-blade-intentionally-pulled-to-the-side thing, but don't mind if it peeks out a bit at times. But to each his own. :)

I'm looking forward to the new Vanda collection launching Jan. 15. I don't own any of their products yet, but hope to soon. Just wish their standard length was a bit longer.

Last edited:

gherrmann

Reaction score

I find it odd that they won't add a keeper if requested on a custom order. I also find it odd that the lack of a keeper is a deal breaker for you. I never use the keeper. I dislike the sprezzy small-blade-intentionally-pulled-to-the-side thing, but don't mind if it peeks out a bit at times. But to each his own. :)

I'm looking forward to the new Vanda collection launching Jan. 15. I don't own any of their products yet, but hope to soon. Just wish their standard length was a bit longer.

I can understand why some folks don't mind the lack of a keeper, but I find it annoying and sloppy to have the back blade flopping around all the time. To each his own, indeed. I wish the Vanda folks would accommodate my preference, but I suppose it's their prerogative to decline to do so. Oh, well.

Incidentally, my recollection is that they will cut a longer tie for a slight upcharge if they still have uncut lengths of a particular fabric. When I bought a batch of ties from them way back when, I think they cut them all to 59 inches at my request.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both and prefer my Vandas - they drape and knot better for me

Agreed.

Just wish their standard length was a bit longer.

As gherrmann says above, they'll customize your tie dimensions for you for a small fee (10 SGD I think). I get all my ties done from them in 3.25" x 59". Just send them an e-mail after you order and they'll send you a Paypal invoice for the fee.

CaymanS

Reaction score

What color suits would this match?

I love this one.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have both and prefer my Vandas - they drape and knot better for me

Is this just a function of the lining? Vandas are unlined I think, but Hober's are, at least for the grenadines. The grenadine fabrics should be from the same source, yes, if proper grenadines?

What does a Vanda tie come to in USD's + ship?

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some Vandas are lined, actually (the product pages will say whether or not they are). The lining they use, though, is very lightweight springy pure wool. It's lighter than the lightest Hober lining that I've seen, so while it does add some structure, it doesn't mar their overall aesthetic.

Usually my Vandas are 100 to 120 USD, plus $14 for First Class International Delivery, which in my experience takes under a week. I tend to order two or three at a time, sometimes a pocket square, as the shipping fee is a flat rate.

Dib

Reaction score

Is this just a function of the lining? Vandas are unlined I think, but Hober's are, at least for the grenadines. The grenadine fabrics should be from the same source, yes, if proper grenadines?

What does a Vanda tie come to in USD's + ship?

The way a tie knots and drapes will be affected by a number of things. Lining (or the absence of it), is one of them, but others include: (i) the overall dimensions of the tie (not just at the tip of the blade, but all the way up the tie), (ii) the fabric used, (iii) the construction used (number of folds) etc.

That said, I have hobers and Vandas that have been made on a like for like basis (i.e. both unlined grenadines (using grenadine from the same source as you note)) and also prefer the way the Vandas drape and knot on those.

applky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
X-post from Epaulet thread.

Apologies for poor photo quality. iPhone went crazy with the SC fabric.

Sedate for snow. Vanda H&S Blue Gunclub tie (incredibly, still available; one of my most worn).

Non-Vanda are Epaulet and Mercer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads