• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SCoNE

Reaction score

Epic Harrington win. (Also, Barracuda seems to be becoming the new name for these; all the most recent BB stuff calls them that vs. Harrington (though maybe a subset with the fancy back-vent. But anyway, be sure to include Barracuda in a title if that's where these are destined to go.)

Some sport coats and blazers..

The vintage BB... So good.

I've found a few Brooks Brothers ties over the years. The patterns and colors are still nice, but they're a little too wide for me (I'm slender and wide ties look weird). Would you advise taking them to a tailor to have them re-sewn? and if so, does anyone in Chicago know a trustworthy tailor?

Thanks

Doubtful that that's worth your time. Just eBay BB ties if you want them; you'll find them for less than thrift + tailoring and have your pick of styles.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epic Harrington win. (Also, Barracuda seems to be becoming the new name for these; all the most recent BB stuff calls them that vs. Harrington (though maybe a subset with the fancy back-vent.  But anyway, be sure to include Barracuda in a title if that's where these are destined to go.) 

Baracuta is the name of the brand that came up with the Harrington jacket design.

Last edited:

SCoNE

Reaction score
Baracuta is the name of the brand that came up with the Harrington jacket design.

Haha my email notification caught your sneaky edit! =) Yes, Baracuta--not Barracuda. But BB and the like are using Barracuda and this association/ name recognition (and slightly different spelling) to their advantage. One. Two.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some stuff.....
Some moar pics of that Tom Ford raspberry silk knit I picked up the other day.

Uber recent storm gray Burberry mackintosh style trench. The "good" stuff, made in England. N/A, my size.

Awesome pair of vintage wingtips. Only thing I can find on this company is that they bought a storefront in Wales in 1934. Anybody seen this brand before? N/A, my size.

RLPL lambskin leather jacket, size M but fits more like a L. Available.

I don't normally pick up Southwick, but the price was right and it should fit one of our fellow thread members. Super schlubby silk windowpane.

Really well done original drawing.

Vintage Corneliani cashmere DB from yesterday. 4x1, but the fit on it is perfect and I scooped a vintage Abboud SC this morning to strip of the horn buttons to use on this bad boy.

Another D&B purse for my wife. She's got quite the collection now!

Shout out to ATLjon for a great trade. Here's my bounty.

Shout out to Gdwilson for a great trade as well. The Oxxford's are some of the nicest trousers I've ever handled.

And a huge, huge shout out to The Need Machine. Now that Christmas is over, and my wife has opened her present, I can finally post this. Chanel pure cashmere and silk lined great coat. Let me put it this way, it was a good thing she was sitting down when she opened it.

His photos are better than mine.

And finally, all this talk of fit pics and turtle necks.
Vintage English made windowpane overcoat. eBay
Zegna merino roll neck, thrifted
Gant by Michael Bastian tweed windowpane trousers, discount
Previously mentioned awesome vintage wingtips.

Last edited:

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a first for me. Never heard or seen it before but feels nice

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
There's a show on TV about a 73 year old guy that does amazing reweaving. pics in the morning.

must wear a turtleneck tomorrow....

masaccio

Reaction score
RLPL lambskin leather jacket, size M but fits more like a L. Available.

Originally Posted by eazye

Wow. That Hudson's store in downtown Detroit closed something like 30+ years ago. I have fond memories of going to visit an awesome Lego exhibit there in the very early 80s. It was the last department store in the city of Detroit. The building was demolished about 15 years ago.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Second pair of these shoes I've found in my size. They definitely aren't getting returned. And my first Dormeuil find. Obviously well made.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wow. That Hudson's store in downtown Detroit closed something like 30+ years ago. I have fond memories of going to visit an awesome Lego exhibit there in the very early 80s. It was the last department store in the city of Detroit. The building was demolished about 15 years ago.

The guy I got it from said it was his dads, who was a doctor practicing in the Detroit area in the 60's and 70's. Apparently it was a custom job that he had ordered through Hudson's that cost a pretty penny back then. Looks like he didn't wear it very much. :D

Edit: Man, what a sad ending for that building.

Last edited:

masaccio

Reaction score
The guy I got it from said it was his dad's, who was a doctor practicing in the Detroit area in the 60's and 70's. Apparently it was a custom job that he had ordered through Hudson's that cost a pretty penny back then. Looks like he didn't wear it very much.
biggrin.gif

Edit: Man, what a sad ending for that building.

Indeed, it was tough to see that building demolished. Was rather like a final nail in the coffin of the city.
frown.gif

In any case, great fit, @eazye ! Fighting back at the cold weather in style.

Shiny

Reaction score
Authenticity check? Buttons are def MOP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads