• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We've had a "boutique" Goodwill store for a pretty long time. The people who pick this stuff from the back rooms really know their labels. They've picked the most recent, obscure labels that most people wouldn't even care to give a second look. It's scary. It irritates me to know that if they didn't have full-time employees picking though the racks in the backroom this stuff would have been fair game to a lot of customers.

I can't imagine what's getting plucked if they're passing over EG

DeadBoy

Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Do I stand a snowballs chance at getting 2 or 3 inches out of those sleeves.........?

Naw you're screwed, better off selling it.

On the plus side, maybe you can sell it to the same guy who will inevitably buying the T-Rex armed Helmut Lang blazer I picked up today.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
R
maybe you can sell it to the same guy who will inevitably buying the T-Rex armed Helmut Lang blazer I picked up today.

Let's see it, this could be me!

(Also please go broke and sell me that AP zip blazer, pronto).

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey brosephs.

I have been and will be mostly absent and sporadic at best for the next few months.

While we were out of town, my daughter (yes, three daughters) came very early at 28 weeks. And the complications that caused it nearly took my wife (inorite? What is this, 1613??). So we are laid up with my incredibly strong and resilient wife recovering and my baby in the nicu.

Please send thoughts, prayers and whatever you believe in; we're out of the woods, but it will be a long and windy road home.

But most of all, keep poasting awesome stuff. Thrifting will be a rare treat, and posting even rarer. So I will live vicariously through you guys for a while.

But don't think this gives ANYONE permission to fish my waters, or that it any way negates my permadibs on 42R, 36 x 30, 16.5 x 34, 10.5-11D.

:brohug:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:brothanks: to everyone.

We have plenty of family and friend support, but this community is a part of tha, for me anyway.

Hey, at least I'm wearing selvedge and Brioni in the hospital. Priorities, amirite?

Edit: I think it was fairly obvious, but just in case, I was kidding.

(It was rlpl). :hides:

Last edited:

acosbysweater

Reaction score
a thick vintage sweater

You posted tons of great stuff, but this is grail city for me. Vintage wool knitwear is often done very well and has a flattering, slim fit with high armholes. I've been obsessed with vintage knits of late and would love to find more. That embroidered name is just ****.

s_allen_p

Reaction score

You posted tons of great stuff, but this is grail city for me.  Vintage wool knitwear is often done very well and has a flattering, slim fit with high armholes.  I've been obsessed with vintage knits of late and would love to find more.  That embroidered name is just ****.

Thanks. It put a big smile on my face when I pulled it off the rack...and then it fit. I'd been looking all winter for a store in my area stocking similar sweaters from either North Sea Clothing or HNS Herning. Couldn't find one. Couldn't believe I thrifted a vintage one. Same goes for the Golden Bear coat I found. Been looking all winter for one like it in my size. Sucks I have to wait 9 months or so to wear it out, though, EvilAbhed caught me wearing the coat on a day not quite cold enough to warrant it. My office is freezing. They can't get the air conditioning to shut off.

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
GMMcL, best to you and yours.

In your honor, a couple of thrift fits:

Tuesday:

Jacket: J. Crew Cotton (thrift)
Shirt: Tom Ford (thrift)
Tie: Brooks Brothers (thrift)
Square: No Name Italian Silk (thrift)
Pants: Brooks Brothers (thrift - they are actually gray, not black)

Thursday:

Jacket: J. Crew Linen (thrift)
Shirt: Nordstrom (e-thrift)
Square: No Name Silk (thrift)
Pants: Zegna by Incotex (thrift)

Also awesome finds, s_allen_p

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stuff I found today. PRL tweed.

Ferragamo trench with thick ass horn buttons. I don't think I've seen this tag before.

Canali windowpane, dual exhaust.

Older Zegna high performance. I picked this up only because it's got TONS of handwork and was really cheap, however, I didn't notice the two **** patch jobs on the trousers until I got home. :fu: :fu: :fu: Oh well, I think I can still make my $3.50 back on it.

For myself, sick NFBL windbreaker. Has their Berkley address on the tag. :slayer:

And some Nikes for myself as my other pair of tennis shoes are starting to fall apart.

B&S brag: Paid for with ebay bux.

Picked up this sick nasty Hackett summertime jacket from forum member Holdfast. Despite the loud pattern, I'll be wearing this plenty in the upcoming spring and summer. I'm going to rock it like a cardigan, over a polo and some khaki's.

And in case anybody is interested, I finished my trunk project. Before:

And after:
Everything was half off today. I paid up a little for the NF, but it fit me so well and I really dig the colors so *******. They had some knock off NF rain parkas right next to this badboy for 10x the price. :nodding:
Have a great weekend everybody!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit pic with aforementioned Hackett sport coat.
BB light blue shirt
Regal eggplant colored knit tie
Donnanna trousers
AE Dalton's

GM-H

Reaction score
Stuff from this week. Pretty much everything is available

One more Brioni.... Summer weight wool, unvented and slightly lower lepel notch, but it was something like 4 bucks (tagged 44)

Unstructured madras SC ( prob like a 38ish)

SOOOOOO much J.Press!

SC and vest ( prob like a 39r)

Ahh the things that make me happy

Blue blazer with waterbury buttons (tagged 44R)

Tan cotton suit (has a few food stains but they should come out with a dry clean. Also tagged 44R)

Polo (tagged XL)

NWOT Vineyard vines Douche sweater (large)

Random made in italy PS and a NWT douche belt

Fabiana Flippi L/S polo ( anyone know anything about this brand? Nordstrom sells the brand but only womens stuff)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads