• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Sullivan

Reaction score
More from yesterday's stop on my ride home.
Piattelli tie NWT (available)

Mabitex pants 30 X 29 (available)

I've been looking for a blue ancient madder tie and a pair of size 8/8.5 dark brown lace up shoes for a while now.
If anyone has an extra pair in their closet, or has the good fortune to come across a pair in the future; please keep me in mind.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Beck

Reaction score
bigstar[1].gif
deets later... suffice it to say I win the thread. (discount store not thrift)

lurker[1].gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't see much today for decent prices. Found a very nice Zegna 15 mil mil navy blazer size 40R (my size, and NEVER thrifted it seems, at least here) but it was $150. I am hoping there are some jeans experts here. I found several pair of selvage jeans - Levi for J. Crew, Unbranded (although the SW&D forums says these are crappy). They were all around $30/pair. Not my size so I didn't pick. Worth it? Also, do 7s sell well on Ebay? Saw several pair there for about $25.

Those were thrift prices on selvedge? Good if you like it and fits you. Damn, 7s are $25/pair? That's way too much. Pick up only if it's under $10 and fits you. I think if you were to sell them in bulk, you might get some ebay $ out of them.

And here is my grand finale. A first, and a badass first. Why amazing tweeds end up in Florida, I do not know.

Holy carp!!!! That's an awesome find! Congrats!
fistbump.gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Things are getting ugly here. Found out that a lot of the stores I frequent will not only be pulling items aside for their boutique store. It used to come from one single store. Not only that, but they will have more "picker shoppers" out there grabbing stuff too. Come on.....

Not only that, but one of the few really good stores is doing some serious hoarding. Just scraps are hitting the floor. Today I also witnessed a regular customer getting treated very rudely there by whom I believe is the new processing manager and an employee (cracking jokes about them publicly). Employees in general at this store are pretty rude. They don't acknowledge your presence, they push and shove and are just overall unpleasant. It seems that the better the customer you are, the worse you get treated. :(

I did manage to scavenge one nice item from a store I've almost stopped going to.

Richard James Savile Row. 3 btn solid navy herringbone. Hacking pockets. Ticket Pocket. Side Vents. Trousers are slim and single pleated/cuffed. Richard James is a little more fashion oriented than most Row makers, but the stuff is still pricey and this suit is pretty nice and has a bit of handwork as well. Tagged 40 R. Available

Chest (pit to pit): 21"
Shoulders (seam to seam): 19"
Sleeves (shoulder seam to cuff): 24" with 1 1/4" to let out
Length (TOC): 32 1/2"

Trousers:

Waist: 16" with 2 1/2" to let out
Inseam: 29 1/2" with 1" to let out
Cuffs: 1 3/4"
Leg Opening: 8 1/2"

Last edited:

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Things are getting ugly here. Found out that a lot of the stores I frequent will not only be pulling items aside for their boutique store. It used to come from one single store. Not only that, but they will have more "picker shoppers" out there grabbing stuff too. Come on.....
Not only that, but one of the few really good stores is doing some serious hoarding. Just scraps are hitting the floor. Today I also witnessed a regular customer getting treated very rudely there by whom I believe is the new processing manager and an employee (cracking jokes about them publicly). Employees in general at this store are pretty rude. They don't acknowledge your presence, they push and shove and are just overall unpleasant. It seems that the better the customer you are, the worse you get treated. :(

The other day I was in a Goodwill and was looking at the ties that were on a rack with no labels visible. After I'd pulled out one or two and then put them back approximately how I'd found them, an employee came over and started shouting about how they'd just spent half an hour organizing the ties and I was messing them up looking at them. I gave the guy a WTF look, put my earbuds back in, and went about my business. Considering the place generally looks like a tornado just hit I appreciate the fact he takes a bit of pride in his work or whatever but if a customer can't look at the merchandise how do you really expect anything will sell?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yea, that's what I'm going to do.

Bit of psychology for you: Sell the one you thrifted on eBay and look at it as profit made. At the end of the day you were always going to get your fair lady a nice gift, and nice gifts by and large cost money :nodding:

csoukoulis

Reaction score

:bigstar: deets later... suffice it to say I win the thread. (discount store not thrift)

so who currently holds the epic find title? I wonder if the MINT Loro Piana 3/4 length cashmere lined deerskin coat i found for $20 and sold for $3k is still up on the list. i havent been on here much lately and i aint reading over a thousand pages to get caught up LOL

LooknGr8

Reaction score
I have had an amazing streak of good luck lately, I cannot lie. I also have kids; work has been so busy I have a hard time reading 1/4 of the posts here once a week.

I'll share something good I found today (check out the buttons!!!!!!).

Can't find the pants to go with but I'm sure they will show up at this store (I've had 3wk hang time between coat pants matches before...) 40R. Zegna, Nataku, right? The FINE WORSTED label is all Zegna, all the time, about 1985-95 right? Do I need to poast the breast pocket tag for real confirmation? I've just only seen the FINE WORSTED thing on Zegna, and old Zegnas at that.

ADDED moar pix

Last edited:

csoukoulis

Reaction score
also, if anyone needs luggage, found some bad ass tweed hartmann (a large roller, med roller, and a vintage regular suitcase) id be willing to do some trading with.

Last edited:

LooknGr8

Reaction score

also, if anyone needs luggage, found some bad ass tweed hardmann (a large roller, med roller, and a vintage regular suitcase) id be willing to do some trading with.

there's an erection joke in there somewhere

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:

In my experience, Goodwill employees are some of the worst and best out there...

I had one the other day actually try to push me out of the way to put a shirt on the rack. There are good ones out there though, the ones who will set stuff aside for you or give you an extra discount here and there. I'd guess that the Christmas season is as hard on thrift shop employees as it is on employees in other retail stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads