• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

staxringold

Reaction score

While they are good for almost absolutely nothing... here is a pretty good discount I thought I would pass along.

Jos. A. Bank (yes that ****** name has just popped into the thread) is doing a 70% off regular priced items sale. Why post a deal for 70% off of junk you ask?

Jos. Bank gets a worse name than they deserve, I think. If you buy the better stuff they make and at the steep discounts they offer it's perfectly fine. I have a bunch of basic ties and shirts from them. Plus my suit wardrobe is currently entirely JOS (but it's admittedly introductory).

Hoofit

Reaction score

Any hipsters into Pendleton high quality western wear?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jos. Bank gets a worse name than they deserve, I think. If you buy the better stuff they make and at the steep discounts they offer it's perfectly fine. I have a bunch of basic ties and shirts from them. Plus my suit wardrobe is currently entirely JOS (but it's admittedly introductory).

That's my take on them as well. Their stuff is actually decent for what you pay for it, you just have to be careful with their absurdly large cuts. If you can get it to fit, it's not bad, as long as you compare it to stuff in the price range where it actually sells, not where they peg their regular retail. It's a decent option for those on a budget- no, it's not Isaia, it's not Kiton, it's not even Brooks Brothers- but they're sure as hell not Stafford, either.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, Wes. So much volume and some really high quality in there too.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my take on them as well. Their stuff is actually decent for what you pay for it, you just have to be careful with their absurdly large cuts. If you can get it to fit, it's not bad, as long as you compare it to stuff in the price range where it actually sells, not where they peg their regular retail. It's a decent option for those on a budget- no, it's not Isaia, it's not Kiton, it's not even Brooks Brothers- but they're sure as hell not Stafford, either.

Life is too short to buy and wear Joseph A Bank

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 Zegna Wool and Cashmere SCs (one is 90% cashmere), 1 Canali SC and 1 Canali Navy Window Pane Suit. All dual vent, 2-button (all unavailable):

The tagged size on this one (the Zegna) is smaller than I normally wear, but I think it fits pretty good. Just need to lengthen the sleeves. The smaller size worked in my favor as I don't need to take the waist in at all.

Nice stuff. Like the look, but for sleeves, as you say. Fits you well, I think. Over the last year, I've gradually been a) trimming down, but only just; and b) realizing that all my stuff fit too loose.

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice stuff. Like the look, but for sleeves, as you say. Fits you well, I think. Over the last year, I've gradually been a) trimming down, but only just; and b) realizing that all my stuff fit too loose.

Maybe it's because I'm picking up altered stuff, but I've found that I can sometimes fit into anything ranging from a 40-44 depending on the cut and maker. That jacket just pictured is tagged a 38, so I have no idea how it fits me.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Life is too short to buy and wear Joseph A Bank

I could just as easily say that life is to short to blow your money on unnecessary stuff like ridiculously expensive clothes when you could be blowing it on vacations. Not everybody feels that $4k a suit is appropriate for their life, even if it is absurdly nice.

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could just as easily say that life is to short to blow your money on unnecessary stuff like ridiculously expensive clothes when you could be blowing it on vacations. Not everybody feels that $4k a suit is appropriate for their life, even if it is absurdly nice.

Obviously thats true, but this is Styleforum.net...............

s_allen_p

Reaction score
Ties

I'm guessing the Balmain tie below is not Balmain worth bragging about, but I figured I'd post it anyways in case someone wants to comment and confirm for PSA like purposes.

Brooks Brothers Braided Belt NWOT

Polo / Crockett & Jones Tassel Loafers

Red Wing Wabasha Chukka Boots NWOT

Chester Barrie Green-ish Felt (??) Sport Coat

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Obviously thats true, but this is Styleforum.net...............

Right, but different strokes price points for different folks.

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Score on those Red Wings. I can only assume that a) they're unavailable and b) they're nowhere near an 8.5/9.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ties

I'm guessing the Balmain tie below is not Balmain worth bragging about, but I figured I'd post it anyways in case someone wants to comment and confirm for PSA like purposes.

Brooks Brothers Braided Belt NWOT

Polo / Crockett & Jones Tassel Loafers

Red Wing Wabasha Chukka Boots NWOT

Chester Barrie Green-ish Felt (??) Sport Coat

Very. Nice.

Interesting, those PRLs by C&J look exactly like a pair of Aldens I thrifted for myself. And I think the felt is really just flannelized wool, but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads