• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Reaction score
I know there's been some discussion of moths and having them penetrate your precious thrift finds. Well, I wanted to share a budget preventative measure that I've implemented. I have a good number of my thrifted clothes in my basement and I think that moths like these moist, dark types of areas. I purchased these cedar balls on ebay, which I understand are a repellent. I have not spotted a moth down there (fingers xrossed).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Cedar-W...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c24bc9374

I wanted to buy a mesh type fabric and sew up these bags filled with the balls so I could put them in my closet. Well, the fabric store wanted too much for the fabric :facepalm: . So I went to the dollar store intent on buying a fabric mesh laundry bag and cut it up and make the bags. However, I found these “organza” bags.

http://scentdeals.com/images/organzabags.jpg

They came 5-6 to a pack for $1. I think chicks use them to put stuff in them for baby showers (?). They were perfect! So I put about 3 balls per bag and hung them on my cheap wire shirt hangers. I interspersed them amongst my hanging stuff.

Will it work? Who knows. But I feel better since I did have some moths penetrate some of my clothes a long time ago in college.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's the stuff I DIDN'T pick up

Kinda cool desk. This ring a bell with any of you furniture guys?

with very VERY few exceptions (think Prorsum vs Burberrys) anything metal+glass or wood+glass isn't worth picking up. most of that is 1980's or newer, usually made in china.

you're looking for solid wood, with skinny round legs that taper down to a point, like this:

aFy2F.jpg

if you use that as your guide, you're like 90% of the way there in terms of the stuff you're likely to see in a thrift store. the other 10% isn't really worth learning about unless you're going to make a serious effort at MCM furniture.

Last edited:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up some shoes I normally wouldn't, but small size, super cheap, and very little wear = cop.

j&m crown aristocrat 7.5 D/B
BUDfy.jpg

c3x6N.jpg

alden for brooks brothers 7.5 D
GqkWW.jpg

pretty nice ET Wright usa made goodyear welt burgundy captoe - 8 D
kM1Jy.jpg

j&m cellini loafers - 8 M
U3bX8.jpg

ET wright captoe usa made goodyear welt - 8 E
cC1Uj.jpg

again 8.5 B
Lmhm1.jpg

gray single pleat armani collezioni pants
Fvxi2.jpg

canali , 2x robert graham
S6wni.jpg

black flat front zanella
EtM4I.jpg

2x sulka
MJ5cn.jpg

alt2H.jpg

not pictured: recent burberry london suit, mohair paul smith blazer, deadstock orvis down vest

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with very VERY few exceptions (think Prorsum vs Burberrys) anything metal+glass or wood+glass isn't worth picking up. most of that is 1980's or newer, usually made in china.
you're looking for solid wood, with skinny round legs that taper down to a point, like this:
aFy2F.jpg

if you use that as your guide, you're like 90% of the way there in terms of the stuff you're likely to see in a thrift store. the other 10% isn't really worth learning about unless you're going to make a serious effort at MCM furniture.

Yeah, I've been looking for those signs, but nothing yet. Not sure what I'd do with it if I found it anyway. No room for storing stuff that big.
lol8[1].gif

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Quick shout out to eazyE. In Chicago today and he was so kind to share his circuit with me. Thanks a lot guy. His storied Midas touch was in full effect; I scored an RLPL shirt in my size...just the 2nd RLPL thing I've seen in the wild. Thanks, brah

Evil Abed

Reaction score
Left behind a women's Pendleton 3/4 length wool jacket last week. Didn't appear to have any holes, but seemed a bit fuzzy around the shoulder blades. For future reference, is there a decent cure for that?

I've been showing a lot of restraint lately at the few shops I've been to. Maybe it's just that I've got a bunch that needs to be photographed/posted to ebay, or maybe I'm becoming less impressed with semi-decent stuff being found in light of the even better things I see being posted. Either way, my bank account is happy for now. Could use a little lightning though for sure.

lastdonb

Reaction score
One GW after umpiring on Sat, pretty good haul:

My first English, Custom Grade, Balmoral shoes, couldn't tell maker until I did a little research, CHURCH'S, but they are small, excellent shape, would need help on sizing:

NWT, set of four Riedel (8", I think Chablis) wine glasses, ($6.40 for the set)

Kick ass Craftsman mechanics creeper ($16)

2 TiVo series 2 DVR'S with LIFETIME SUBSCRIPTIONs, $5.60 each.

Picked up more stuff for me, nice set of 4 glazed salad/soup bowls, marble salt and pepper shaker set, First Zanella casual shirt in M, will post pics later.....

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
Ok, so, my first thrifting in a while, and I came across what looked like a wardrobe dump with lots of 41R & 42R unvented, with lots of textured browns. Most of it was eaten by moths, including a nice cashmere Burberry jacket, and lots of other stuff, but I did manage some things.

1) BOSS - Hugo Boss suit, charcoal / dark brown ~41R (missing pant button, slight wear on front of right leg)
3-button unvented suit, 2-pleated cuffed trousers
ON HOLD

IMG_3568_zps5a25a5c0.jpg

medium-weight Super 110's textured wool (doesn't look brown to me except under certain lighting)
normally wouldn't pick this up, but a staple in a size someone had requested

Accurate color:

Jacket:
Chest: 22.5
Waist: 21.5
Shoulder: 20
BOC: 30.5
Sleeve: 24.5

Trousers:
Waist: 17.25
Inseam: 31 (+1 in cuff)
Rise: 12
Thigh: 12

Hickey Freeman Boardroom Navy Jacket w/ blue horz. stripes & red vert. stripes, 44L
2-button, single-vent
AVAILABLE

Measurements:
Chest: 23.25
Waist: 23
Shoulder: 18.25
BOC: 31.5
Sleeve: 26.5

There was another jacket of the same kind from the same owner that I didn't pick up, in a nice olive herringbone. I can return to get it if there is interest, but I couldn't find matching trouser.

Faconnable corduroy pant 38Wx30(+2)L, some slight wear to the nap in a couple of places
AVAILABLE

Measurements:
Waist: 19
Inseam: 30(+2)
Rise: 12
Thigh: 12.5

Canali browns houndstooth SC, wool+cashmere EU 52R (US 42R)
AVAILABLE!

Accurate color:

Measurements:
Chest: 22.5
Waist: 21
Shoulder: 21
BOC: 30
Sleeve: 25(+1)

Also picked up:
Found a Jos.A.Bank's Exec collection black+khaki houndstooth SC, in wool+silk (I'm guessing), as a gift for someone in 41R, and a cheapish charcoal St. John's Bay peacoat in wool+cashmere+nylon that I'll keep for myself only because it fits perfectly. From the same wardrobe dump there was also a 100% linen khaki+olive check BR SC, half-lined in 42R (more like a 43R).

Didn't pick up:
There was also a really hideously colored jacket in exactly my size (36R) that fit like a charm, but it was a gross teal+green+blue plaid. If anybody wants a loud 80's styled sportcoat in that size and color, let me know; it's in great shape, hardly worn...
alien.gif
Of course, I was happy to find the Canali shortly afterward!

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brioni corduroy

E. Zegna (Trofeo cloth)

Brooks Brothers made in Italy

Chipp madras sack, circa 1970 (unavailable)

Last edited:

mat135ta

Reaction score
I bought a Giorgio Armani silk jacket more than 2 months ago in this store, thinking that it is a sportcoat. But today, I came across the matching pants for the jacket in the same store... Many the pants has been waiting for me in the store during the last 2 months...

Anyway, I also bought my third Brioni wool trousers from this store in this week, and two pairs of loafers, one by Gucci, one by Zegna. I got my mum two pairs of very well-made heels, one from Rayne who made the wedding shoes for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, one from Lisa Cora of which I found no information online.

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hickey Freeman Boardroom Navy Jacket w/ blue horz. stripes & red vert. stripes, 44L 2-button, single-vent AVAILABLE
i know close to nothing about ebay or flipping, so take this with a grain of salt: that jacket looks mega dated. to steal a phrase from horse's_ass: that jacket looks like a saggy pair of ****. everyone in this thread gets worked up over brands, but styling is probably more important than the label. "timeless" is a myth. stick to recent stuff.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.