• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpmorris

Reaction score

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I live in Ravens country so I can get away with wearing purple anytime I want.

My MAN!

Baltimore-Ravens-Logo.gif

Waytarers courtesy of tben a while back at a very favorable price.
I bought the cardi last year for $10 at Macy's on final markdown so I consider it a thrift find.
Loro Piana shirt. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
H&M drain denim
Steve Madden DB's bought on clearance at a footwear outlet a coupla years ago.

The Rollie was purchased in Cozumel over a decade ago at full retail but even declaring it at US Customs, it was still cheaper at the time.

P9260653.jpg

P9260651.jpg

P9260652.jpg

I'm getting very picky about what I thrift anymore and left some stuff I would have taken previously. OTOH, I "settled" for a Banana Republic Italian linen dark gray LS shirt and I found a Levis short denim jacket to replace my embarrassingly acid washed jacket. I also picked up the second pair of those jeans since they were half price green tag sale today.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So just this past Saturday my buddy asked me to keep my eyes open for a Sand Wedge for his golf bag. Today I not only found a Sand Wedge, but I found the one that matches his King Cobra set exactly. And to top it off, I got it for only $1.97!!!

Only found 2 other things today, but I am quite proud of them. To be honest, I am not really making them available here on the cheap because I really need some money. (The bachelor party ended up costing me more money than expected last weekend.)

Anyway, first up

Alden 904 in Brown Suede, superb condition. 10.5 B/D

I thought my day was going pretty well at that point....

and then I found these....

I can never really understand how a pair of these Shells can survive 30+ years without being worn. The laces weren't even laced up until I took these photos. I assume they were up in storage above the Clarks Bostonian outlet in town (formerly the main location for the Hanover Shoes outlet). I have a source that claims there is an insane collection of Hanovers up there, but who could know for sure.

NOS Hanover MasterFlex Longwings - Black Shell Cordovan 12 B/AA

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My MAN!

I bought the cardi last year for $10 at Macy's on final markdown so I consider it a thrift find.
Loro Piana shirt. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.
H&M drain denim
The Rollie was purchased in Cozumel over a decade ago at full retail but even declaring it at US Customs, it was still cheaper at the time.
P9260653.jpg

P9260651.jpg

P9260652.jpg

I'm getting very picky about what I thrift anymore and left some stuff I would have taken previously. OTOH, I "settled" for a Banana Republic Italian linen dark gray LS shirt and I found a Levis short denim jacket to replace my embarrassingly acid washed jacket. I also picked up the second pair of those jeans since they were half price green tag sale today.
Dig, is that on Crane Hwy??? Send me a Gyro...I love them from Maria D's. My cousin lives right around the corner from there.

Oh yeah...You know I'm from Salisbury originally, so I split my fanhood between the Ravens and the Skins. I always like the Skins, but loved it when the Ravens came and we had our own team again. I can get away with it here since we are so close. It's split 4 ways fairly evenly between the Skins,Ravens,Steelers,and Eagles in our area.

Last edited:

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My MAN!

H&M drain denim
P9260653.jpg

P9260651.jpg

P9260652.jpg

I like it! Especially the sunglasses!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok day today. Depressing first stop. Found and left this for $30. Pure cashmere. Two "holes", one on each shoulder. Looks like they were made from the hooks on those plastic hangers. :fu:

Then found these. Higher than thrift price but still a steal. Appear unworn. No wear/breaking in. Baldwin "The Reed" raw selvedge jeans. Made in the USA. Made from Cone yellow selvedge denim. Marked a size 36. Measures 38 x 35 and will likely shrink with a wash to a 36. Available

Waist: 19"
Inseam: 34 3/4"
Thigh: 13 1/4"
Front Rise: 11"
Rear Rise: 16"
Leg Opening: 9"

Recent/Unworn Brioni Cannes flat front light-weight cotton trousers. Blue/white mini stripe. Appear unworn/no signs of wear. Tagged 38. Measures 38 x 31 Available

Waist: 19" with 1 1/4" to let out
Inseam: 31" with 3" to let out
Leg Opening: 9 1/4"

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indulge me in two thrift fits (with some issues that need to be addressed, of course):

Thrift fit the first:
Brooks Brothers Cord Blazer (this needs alterations) [Ebay, overpaid, but I think it was only like $50 shipped, which is still OK-ish]
RLPL Gray Gingham Shirt (this needs help too) [Thrifted by me, $5]
Hermes tie [Thrifted by me, $8]
Brooks Brothers Madison Gray Trousers [Trade with MattR]
Walnut AE Strands (not pictured) [Thrifted by me, $6]

Thrift fit the second.
Add Brooks Brothers Orange silk blend sportcoat [Ebay, less than the cord blazer]

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alden 904 in Brown Suede, superb condition. 10.5 B/D

LL

I thought my day was going pretty well at that point....

and then I found these....

I can never really understand how a pair of these Shells can survive 30+ years without being worn. The laces weren't even laced up until I took these photos. I assume they were up in storage above the Clarks Bostonian outlet in town (formerly the main location for the Hanover Shoes outlet). I have a source that claims there is an insane collection of Hanovers up there, but who could know for sure.

NOS Hanover MasterFlex Longwings - Black Shell Cordovan 12 B/AA

Wow! Love the Aldens!

Dig, is that on Crane Hwy??? Send me a Gyro...I love them from Maria D's. My cousin lives right around the corner from there.

Oh yeah...You know I'm from Salisbury originally, so I split my fanhood between the Ravens and the Skins. I always like the Skins, but loved it when the Ravens came and we had our own team again. I can get away with it here since we are so close. It's split 4 ways fairly evenly between the Skins,Ravens,Steelers,and Eagles in our area.

Yep, I stopped by to pay a bill at the county office there. Oddly, I've never tried Maria D's!

SWMBO was born in D.C. (!) so when the Colts packed up and left Baltimore in the '80's, I just got used to watching the 'Skins games with her. Not too difficult considering it was the first Joe Gibbs era. Art Monk, Darrell Green, John Riggins, the Hogs. What's not to like?

I like it! Especially the sunglasses!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif

35x35px-LL-db5e8bdc_FelixDig.gif

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't been hitting the stores much the last week or so, but did get this billfold in an online auction and I thought it was pretty neato.

I thought it was just going to be an old "Dunhill" wallet, but it had some interesting original papers (inserts? whatever they would be called) still with it, including stuff from the cold war era that mentions "CONELRAD" (which I had to Google) that dates the wallet from 1951 to 1963.

I hate the ************* Columbia Outdoors wallet I am using - the card sleeves are all stretched out and I have, numerous times, left a store with 2 or 3 credit cards lying on the floor behind me. I was gonna flip this but I think it's a keeper.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

black ervell blazer
stevenson overall co chinos
Random question: Is Cucinelli a decent thrifting find?
Definitely. It's one of the "grail" names. Especially if it's a tailored piece.
:slayer:
Dope handmade Sutor Montelassi suede chukkas today. SZ 10 too small for me. available
Wow!! :wow:
Haven't been hitting the stores much the last week or so, but did get this billfold in an online auction and I thought it was pretty neato.
I thought it was just going to be an old "Dunhill" wallet, but it had some interesting original papers (inserts? whatever they would be called) still with it, including stuff from the cold war era that mentions "CONELRAD" (which I had to Google) that dates the wallet from 1951 to 1963. I hate the ************* Columbia Outdoors wallet I am using - the card sleeves are all stretched out and I have, numerous times, left a store with 2 or 3 credit cards lying on the floor behind me. I was gonna flip this but I think it's a keeper.
Very cool find!

Last edited:

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a piece of history right there. I'd preserve it if I were you. How cool would that be to give to your grandson some day? Great find!

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok day today. Depressing first stop. Found and left this for $30. Pure cashmere. Two "holes", one on each shoulder. Looks like they were made from the hooks on those plastic hangers. :fu:

Man, that sucks! I saw a Zegna pure cashmere sweater once that had about 85 holes in it :fu: It wasn't NWT though! That one might have been worth trying to darn up if it was your size, IMO. I have a Polo RL cashmere sweater that had very similar holes at the shoulders - because it was on a seam, it was easy to fix up even though one of them was scary big.

Then again, I have a higher tolerance for issues and fixing up than most people. :lol:

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, why can't I give Oxxford Clothes stuff away? Even on ebay it's a tough sell. I've pretty much stopped picking them up unless they are totally spectacular. What gives?

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW, why can't I give Oxxford Clothes stuff away? Even on ebay it's a tough sell. I've pretty much stopped picking them up unless they are totally spectacular. What gives?
no you can definitely give them away send them over here
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads