• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just this past Saturday my buddy asked me to keep my eyes open for a Sand Wedge for his golf bag. Today I not only found a Sand Wedge, but I found the one that matches his King Cobra set exactly. And to top it off, I got it for only $1.97!!!

Only found 2 other things today, but I am quite proud of them. To be honest, I am not really making them available here on the cheap because I really need some money. (The bachelor party ended up costing me more money than expected last weekend.)

Anyway, first up

Alden 904 in Brown Suede, superb condition. 10.5 B/D

I thought my day was going pretty well at that point....

and then I found these....

I can never really understand how a pair of these Shells can survive 30+ years without being worn. The laces weren't even laced up until I took these photos. I assume they were up in storage above the Clarks Bostonian outlet in town (formerly the main location for the Hanover Shoes outlet). I have a source that claims there is an insane collection of Hanovers up there, but who could know for sure.

NOS Hanover MasterFlex Longwings - Black Shell Cordovan 12 B/AA

Awesome shooz!

Speaking of awesome shooz, these came today. They were in no way thrifted or even discounted, but they fit great and they're amazing, so just a pure brag. Also picked up my BB blackwatch flannel pants from the tailor, so both may make their inaugural run tomorrow.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome shooz!

Speaking of awesome shooz, these came today. They were in no way thrifted or even discounted, but they fit great and they're amazing, so just a pure brag. Also picked up my BB blackwatch flannel pants from the tailor, so both may make their inaugural run tomorrow.

I just remembered why I pay retail sometimes.
inlove.gif

dubcbadass

Reaction score

i think everyone wants to see this happen.

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Since I haven't been to any stores locally in a couple weeks and I just read through the last 600+ posts in the last 2 days to catch up on a week, I made a quick lunch stop. Made one pickup for myself:

Four Climes Cotton Harrington Jacket, Made In England (tagged 40L, fits my 42R self)

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did buy it. It is the shirt line. Long sleeve button down. Will post pics soon. Debating what to do with it... The bay shows it does really well but I don't sell lol
dibs

DeadBoy

Reaction score
Awesome shooz!

Awesome indeed! I've been saving up for pretty much that exact pair for a while... and still have a while to go.

I did buy it. It is the shirt line. Long sleeve button down. Will post pics soon. Debating what to do with it... The bay shows it does really well but I don't sell lol

You could try sending it to someone here to consign. Have them put it up with a decently high BIN OBO and be patient.

zeek4life

Reaction score
Went to 2 GW and 2 SA today thought I was going to 0 for 4 but these saved the day

\
Burberry shirt for $9 and John varvatos 4.95.

46n2

Reaction score
straight dope.
drool.gif

Awesome shooz!

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So much cool stuff over the last day. Wes: Those suede Aldens are making me cry.

Hit one store today. (Tried to hit two, but it closed early. WTF???) Was getting seriously tired of how dry it's gotten (too many of you people crowding my territory. :paranoia: ). And nothing good happens when you start to get impatient desperate.

Witness: I'd all but sworn off Brooks Brothers. And shirts. And ties.

And so it is with great shame and displeasure, but without further ado, that I bring you: My Brooks Brothers shirt and tie haul.

BB purple label shirt, this one ACTUALLY made in the USA (and not Malaysia, like some). :fonz: BUT: no pearly buttons. :censored:

And then this. BB mainline. :nodding: USA made. :nodding::nodding: 100% cashmere. :nodding::nodding::nodding:
Unvented. :facepalm:
And 42S :facepalm::facepalm:

The ties. All BB Makers. All in good or seemingly unworn condition.

Also picked this one up. Vintage. Made in England, obviously by hand (handwork evident). Colors seemed nice; could find a use under a sweater. Or as a PS. Undecided.

Now, hold on there. What's that lurking behind all those Bert Pulitzers there.

Hello, beautiful.

Can I get an authenticity check? (Ebay bound to pay for this little mistake of a thrift run)
:spam: Like something you saw? Well, just hover over my avatar, friend, and hit that little button that says "Send PM." Because the more I see these items, the greater my shame will be.

Last edited:

CesarC

Reaction score
Went after work yesterday and hit a bunch of New Haven/Hamden ones this morning, absolutely nothing. Bought a Paul Fredrick shirt as an every day thing, but really nothing.

I just visited new Haven last weekend and checked out some places, but everything was being picked over like *crazy* by newly-arrived students. I found a few non-noteworthy ties -- Lauren RL, two moderately worn knits, Oleg Cassini with a stain, and some grossly-colored BB repp-- but even that's probably only because most of the students don't wear normal-width ties... It was a little claustrophobic in there.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just visited new Haven last weekend and checked out some places, but everything was being picked over like *crazy* by newly-arrived students.  I found a few non-noteworthy ties -- Lauren RL, two moderately worn knits, Oleg Cassini with a stain, and some grossly-colored BB repp-- but even that's probably only because most of the students don't wear normal-width ties...  It was a little claustrophobic in there.

A good point. And it's interview season for grads to be. :cloud:

mainy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@natuku... sick find on those baldwin jeans... they are a KC brand, actually have a shop not too far from a lot of the thrifts I go to... ironically, the only pair I've ever seen thrifting was women's... can't believe you thrifted a pair before me!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It is somewhat of a rarity to find. In fact Cucinelli has only been mentioned or quoted 185 times in this entire thread (this post included). Which is less than 0.4% of the entire posts in the thread.

I dont know how you did this math, but what is it for :

Versace
Dior
Brooks Brothers

just curious, if you have a sec.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dont know how you did this math, but what is it for :
Versace
Dior
Brooks Brothers
just curious, if you have a sec.
I just did a search this thread and divided the number of posts by the total number in the thread. Divide by 100 and you have the %. Probably not entirely accurate, but gives a fair picture I think.

Versace mentioned in 1.5% of posts
Dior (including snarky comments about CD ties) 1.2%
Brooks Brothers (searched BB too) 8.5%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics