• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah man, I don't wear tailoring at all anymore, but I've still got a head stash in the stable, and my best navy jacket is an Oxxford Highest Quality I found back in Chicago. Their craftsmanship and hand work is up there with the best of them.

oxxford is my fave tailor to spot , close second martin greenfield and then older j press .

i also hardly wear tailoring but still dreaming about it

MMiUSA

Reaction score
Zegna Su Misura

IMG_3562.JPG
IMG_3566.JPG

~

IMG_3568.JPG
IMG_3572.JPG

~

IMG_3592.JPG
IMG_3596.JPG

INCOTEX:
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3576.JPG
IMG_3581.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG
IMG_3588.JPG

Yves Saint Laurent:

IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3744.JPG

J. Press Made in USA

IMG_3753.JPG
IMG_3754.JPG

VTG Harley Denim Vest

IMG_3868.JPG
IMG_3871.JPG

Vintage Made in USA Starter 1996 San Francisco 49ers T-Shirt, followed by Logo 7 1989 SF 49ers Made in USA FotL T-Shirt

IMG_3874.JPG
IMG_3882.JPG

Public School NY Button Down:

IMG_3943.JPG

StanleyWingtip

Reaction score
Ever bought something because you thought it looked “cool” and might be useful then get on the internet later and find out there’s a group of people with blogs and chat rooms that think it’s “really really cool”?

Had that happen today…

3A9EB9D7-C04C-4875-B343-70043A2989CE.jpeg

I’m gonna have the coolest pencil in every room room I walk into. New doors will open. People will gather around in a big circle and wait for me to whip it out, hoping to catch a glimpse. They’ll look down at their own hand holding some pale yellowish monstrosity or maybe even a pen, and begin questioning where they went wrong in life. /s

MMiUSA

Reaction score
Continued..

VTG Levi's MiHK Snap Button Denim Jacket

IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3898.JPG

Veari Belts - 1 Alligator, 1 Ostrich

IMG_2279.JPG
IMG_2278.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

Vintage K-Brand Corduroy Pillsbury Doughboy - sometimes I buy stuff because it's fun.

IMG_2385.JPG

Vintage King Louie Made in USA Isuzu Truck Jacket (sold)

IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG
IMG_2632.JPG

Neiman Marcus Made in Canada Cashmere Blazer

IMG_2640.JPG

VTG made in USA Jacksonville Jaguars Shirt

IMG_2647.JPG

Levi's Orange Tab Acid Washed

IMG_2660.JPG

VTG Ralph Lauren Sweater (PJs?)

IMG_2736.JPG

Lee Sports Dallas Cowboys Sweater

IMG_2739.JPG

Vintage Joy Division Made in USA Nice Man Brand Shirt - This thing was thrashed... but yeah... still worthwhile if you get my drift.
IMG_2741.JPG

Mizzen+Main

IMG_2802.JPG

Vintage NOS Dexter MiUSA 10.5 D - was hoping these would fit me... but sadly, nope.

IMG_4012.JPG
IMG_4013.JPG

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So it's been too hot to ride for most of the summer and thus I have gained major weight (10 - 15 lbs). I had an old semi crappy thrifted bike trainer that I hated using it because it was semi crappy. Then I saw an ad on CList last week for a much better one for free

After giving it the ole hose off

gGb2bbN.jpg

Yes the deck is very ashy

Blackburn "Yoga" mat was included. I've already used it twice

MaTyrrA.jpg

Whattaya know it used to be worth something

Lxz12wG.jpg

Last edited:

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is nuts; I would have guessed Oxxford, but the colored buttonhole is too bling for Oxxford. Or so I thought.

Anyways, Oxxford would be my go-to brand but for the fact that everything ever made by Oxxford is unfixable shatnez. (There was one Oxxford jacket I simply couldn't turn away, so I had my tailor restructure the entire thing, keeping only the exterior shell.)

And there's @StanleyWingtip in for the win!

The unmistakable clue from the first pic, btw, is the "Hollywood waistband", i.e. no seam across the rear of the pants, while there is one in front. De rigueur from Oxxford. By far the most bonkers suit I've seen from that usually staid suiter, and certainly bespoke. I looked up the name of the gentleman noted on the inner label, and he was a guy in his 30s, pictured in a variety of dandy-ish suits, untimely deceased. This was the only suit of his there, though. At least thus far. I'll be returning to that store.
. View attachment 1826585 View attachment 1826586 ,

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My dad used to rock these back in the days. He had these as well as the ones with 3 interchangeable lenses.

dad's glasses.jpg

The older I get, the cooler they look and the cooler I realize the old man really was (is?)

EDit: Now that I think about it I had a pair of folding glasses just like this. They didn't last the summer :lol:

porsche folding glasses.jpg

Attachments

• dad's glasses.jpg
    dad's glasses.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
oxxford is my fave tailor to spot , close second martin greenfield and then older j press .

i also hardly wear tailoring but still dreaming about it
Yep, I've flipped (and worn) many Oxxford suits and SCs over the years, mostly pretty staid, with just an occasional standout. This herringbone SC beauty was a sample, in buttersoft coral cashmere, and I would for sure have kept if it had been my size. Did pretty well on the 'Bay, though.
1661790121000.png

1661790087095.png

So here's an Oxxford story for you: a few years ago, for some reason, one of the consignment places in Phx started having a whole bunch of recent Oxxford suits come through. They were priced at $49, and I bought them all, as they were flipping handily in the $200-350 range. One day, I was at checkout with the latest steal and an attorney friend who was standing there said, loudly "Wow, that's a $3500 suit! For $49?" Damn, I could have nutted him in the head, Scottish style. Moron ruined everything.The store assistant, from whom I'd been buying for a decade or more, gave me one of those looks that could kill, and sold me the suit with gritted teeth. Since then, all Oxxford suits have been priced at $375, even the crappy old Onwentsia models @silverwarebandit was talking about. Grrrrr. Loose lips sink ships.

Last edited:

Sartoriamo

Reaction score
how did the house flip turn out ?
Hey, thanks for asking. The doublewide is finished, put on CL a couple weeks ago, with four full price offers so far that I've declined because of contingencies (no, I don't want to wait for their house to sell or they get back from vacation). So it should be gone in the next couple of weeks. I would have posted before, but I don't have the exact numbers worked out yet to share. Still don't, so I'd say I did OK. but not stellar. Paid $9668, and it's on the market for $150K, but I spent at least $70K on reno materials and a few months of my time. So I have to run the numbers and see how the profit tracks against my time (along with the opportunity cost of not thrifting). It's not like these lucky folks with site-built homes that are making multi-six-figure gains while they just sit there doing nothing. I have to bust my a$$ for $80K. Oh well, at least it's something, and I'll do the next one faster and cheaper. Meanwhile, here are a few before and afters, spoilered to be respectful to those who don't care . . .
86 exterior before.JPG

86 exterior deck.JPG

IMG_2065.JPG
86 kitchen before.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG
IMG_2046.JPG

86 stove room.JPG
IMG_2050.JPG

86 Mbath.JPG
IMG_2056.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_2055.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_2041.JPG
IMG_2042.JPG
Pretty much all of the appliances, vanities, etc came from auctions of HD and Lowe's returns. The fridge and fancy GE profile convection/microwave were thrifted at GW. The principal factor causing raw materials overrun was the ludicrous gouging by HD, particularly on lumber, like eleven bucks for a three dollar 2x4. Rebuilding the deck was the single biggest expense. Shouldn't have that issue with the next one.

Last edited:

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...said, loudly "Wow, that's a $3500 suit! For $49?"...Moron ruined everything... Loose lips sink ships.

This. I've been getting annoyed with a lot of the new resellers around lately who LOUDLY talk about how they found "a pair of candlesticks that sold for $800" or some other thing worth a lot. They'll even just openly talk to employees about how they make a lot of their income from that store lol... They scan barcodes with their apps with volume on FULL so that you hear that beep across the store.. the loud KA CHINGS whenever they get a bid or sell something.. very obviously looking **** up on phones in front of staff at the glass case... I can't stand it.

One time had a guy come over to me and talk very loudly about how he "knew i was a reseller" and was asking what in my cart was going to be put on eBay lol. I assume he did this because I had just grabbed a bunch of high value small electronics right before he came over and he was mad... I just about told him off, but I prefer to maintain a low profile at stores. Since then I often see him talking too loudly about ****, scanning barcodes loudly and tryna peek at my cart. These newbies don't have much subtlety or etiquette. They don't think about the big picture and they assume staff/management are blind and deaf.

The walls always have eyes and ears. Everything you do and everything you buy at the thrift says something, especially if you're a known reseller.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, I've flipped (and worn) many Oxxford suits and SCs over the years, mostly pretty staid, with just an occasional standout. This herringbone SC beauty was a sample, in buttersoft coral cashmere, and I would for sure have kept if it had been my size. Did pretty well on the 'Bay, though.
View attachment 1826903
View attachment 1826902

So here's an Oxxford story for you: a few years ago, for some reason, one of the consignment places in Phx started having a whole bunch of recent Oxxford suits come through. They were priced at $49, and I bought them all, as they were flipping handily in the $200-350 range. One day, I was at checkout with the latest steal and an attorney friend who was standing there said, loudly "Wow, that's a $3500 suit! For $49?" Damn, I could have nutted him in the head, Scottish style. Moron ruined everything.The store assistant, from whom I'd been buying for a decade or more, gave me one of those looks that could kill, and sold me the suit with gritted teeth. Since then, all Oxxford suits have been priced at $375, even the crappy old Onwentsia models @silverwarebandit was talking about. Grrrrr. Loose lips sink ships.

fetch

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads