• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Haven't seen a nice tie in ages. The good ones don't make it past the new arrival carts.
Owch. :(

Still bought it for $5. I'm sure that sooner or later I'll come across one with a thrashed bag but with the other pieces intact. Until then, it'll be 3-D wall art.

green_machine

Reaction score
In the field. Cop or no?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good ties usually just end giving me blueballs in the suits.

maybe my greatest ever find was in one of those seasonal endcaps next to the registers. just check the whole store. $.02.

Last edited:

SteelGuy

Reaction score
I had the pleasure of meeting @Theodoric yesterday and he bravely went off with me on my Friday afternoon rounds. We had stunning good luck, which I can only attribute to him. It was great having an extra set of eyes and a voice of reason to keep me calm.

There was a ton of fodder (I kept saying 'throw it in the cart'): vineyard vines, brooks brothers, hugo boss, trafalgar braces, etc that I won't bore you with. These were some of the gems.

He was looking for Alden Shell, he found them (I missed them):

Kenzo 'Jumping Fish' sweatshirt ...

A vintage trenchcoat. Impervion was Macintosh's chemical for making waterproof coats in the 60s. (now spelled Mackintosh, same guy).

Vintage made in England Shearling coat (Who said, grab all shearling?). Seems to be another one on the bay for $40; i think i'll try etsy

A Prada Wool/Spandex shirt ... very clean

Vintage Timberland Leather coat w/ real shearling collar ...

Vintage G-III 'Global Identity' Leather coat

Vintage EMS Down Coat and Mountain Hardwear Gore-Tex parka

Lots of Reverse Weave ...

Another great Theodoric find ... Vintage Grenfell trench coat made in England for A&F

I didn't picture them all, but we got a couple of Untuckit's and an Isaia ...

A great thrifting day ... 50 items, ppu $10.32 ...

Thanks @Theodoric

Last edited:

SteelGuy

Reaction score
Also got these Supreme t-shirts on our outing ... Don't know if they're real or not. Thoughts? Something I don't run into much at all ..

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally arrived home from a min-thriftcation. On the way back, I stopped at one of my favorite in-town spots for a quick look see. I only purchased two items, and both of them broke personal rules. First, I found a pair of old-ass beater Alden 665 PTBs. (My google-fu sucks. I can't find anything on "The Satisfactory Shoe Company of Chicago.") I typically never buy anything (in men's footwear) with an A width or with orthopedic heels (these feature both - although, they are the nice Foot Balance heels). The combo last on these have more A's in the width than I have on my high school transcript. But, for $4.99, I couldn't leave them.

The second item breaks my "never buy a non-vented jacket" rule. It has a nice pattern and the price is certainly reasonable. So, it's worth the gamble. My apologies for the chaos in the background. For those of you who have never been on a thrift trip, you spend the first two days back just trying to organize the new inventory.

Last edited:

jamesmkeart

Reaction score
Stores in my area put all the ties in giant bins in the back and put them in hangers when they have nothing better to do. It's a completely seperate pricing process so I'll go in and find 10 great ties and nothing else or not buy one for a month.

Last edited:

Doomsticks

Reaction score
Went to a fleamarket and had a pop! on SI jacket!

David TC with down liner, didnt fit me so a friend that came over to lend a sportscoat bought it for cheap, but a happy friend and fun money for me!

SI ls tee

Very happy with this one, OL aw13 jacket, one of my favorite collections. Love the thing on the back. Wearing it as Im posting this.

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

damn...I never thought to go through the womens stuff.  

Do you find mens stuff fairly often there?

Some of my best menswear finds have come from the women's section.

Eazye needs to provide a service where he makes these missing items for Fueco, then a woman models them and everyone goes, Oooh, it-s a giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirrrrl!

Hahahahahaha

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just driving down the street and saw a thrift I hadn't been to before. It was a sign... Personal grail pop for me, my first Chouinard Equipment find. I need to research a bit, but these are screaming mid-70s to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads