• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ah professor i hit you up for some tubes like 2 years ago!

and yes @Letric i would've skipped for flip but if Big E grab non-plaid, rayons, basically you want legit fancy cowboy fabric. you'll know it when you see it i think. if it's a old denim like a sawtooth shirt grab it imo.

plain plaids are probably a feel thing, you like it i say grab it. if it belongs in the trash don't buy it lol.

Yes, but you wanted me to sort through them. But, I guess if I haven't checked in two years I owe you one. I have one box where I sorted the ones someone told me might be good. I have them where I can read all the labels. So, if you tell me which ones you are looking for, I will look through the one box again.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ Im good with my soviet glass ha. Just funny to see that come back up.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know how in AA the Sponsors are always wise and provide warnings to those just beginning their journey. Well, think of me as a Sponsor.

STORY WARNING: I have now spent three weekends working 14 hours a day both days to go through all the crap in my house and garage because of all the stuff I bought to sell on ebay. We are having an estate sale and it is going to take the sales guy two weeks to go through everything and set it all up. Then the guy running the sale needs 10 days to price it all. This is after I donated 3 full size pickup truck loads to Goodwill AND forced 3-4 boxes of stuff on 4 of 5 kids. I donated at least 120 pairs of shoes after all that. I was going through stuff and some of it still had the price tag from the estate sale I bought it at. I have a 2 1/2 car garage that is FULL!

It was very overwhelming going through all of it. About 30% (I'm guesssing) is stuff that I would not buy now that I have learned better. About 20% of the stuff is just regular household stuff that people gather when they are married and have kids. BUT, the rest of it is stuff is decent stuff that could be sold on ebay if I had time. Quite a few boxes will be mailed for consignment -- with some valuable items. And a LOT of it will be sold at the estate sale.

In my opinion, buy something for ONLY one of the following reasons:

1. You can list it quickly and make a high return on your investment
2. It is for personal use and you don't already have 20 of them (this number should be lower, but I know the audience)
3. You are giving it away for a gift.

If you are buying because you think that one day maybe you'll have time to list it, DON'T DO IT! You will not have time and then you too will be in your garage looking at 12 Southwick Suits and wondering if you can get the $6 each you spent on them. Or sorting through the 16 Henckle knives when you already have 5, or the 80 pairs of Allen Edmonds that are weird sizes like 11.5AA, or the china that seemed like a good idea because 3 sets of them sold on ebay for $300, but it will cost $100 to ship and half will get broken, or 100 Brooks Brothers ties that can sell for $10-15 but who has time to list them, or the 100's of things you bought because you thought they were cool (and they sort of are) that are not worth anything.

Oh, and if you do this hobby and buy lots of nice suits for personal use AND then lose weight, you will end up with a bunch of really nice suits that fit like tents over a house.

Very sage advice, and I’m a hoarder. We all are, though I just can’t bring myself to leave something “special” at a thrift! I have quite a few jackets under my bed in boxes, that were a only couple of quid and I’ll list them eventually. I have quite a bit more I need to shift first, though!

But the tingle gets to me everyday, I can’t walk past a store and not go in.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Im good with my soviet glass ha. Just funny to see that come back up.

Very sage advice, and I’m a hoarder. We all are, though I just can’t bring myself to leave something “special” at a thrift! I have quite a few jackets under my bed in boxes, that were a only couple of quid and I’ll list them eventually. I have quite a bit more I need to shift first, though!

But the tingle gets to me everyday, I can’t walk past a store and not go in.

@double00 I'll still post a picture of the one box. Then all the audiophiles can check out the labels and see if anyone needs them.

@Purplelabel I hear you. The tingle is what keeps us going (along with the money), but that tingle is why I have a house full of crap.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
My big issue that I've been grappling with when it comes to thrifting and my business is just the materialism that comes along with it. I've always liked nice things, and probably always will, but have been trying to focus more on the idea of happiness and whatnot coming from inside, rather than anything outside that is simply in one's possession. It's something that I'll probably struggle with for years to come, but I have always slightly resented the fact that this hobby is something that is, by definition, almost purely superficial (although for us sellers, we can find solace in the fact that we're helping someone else find happiness in providing them with something they want at a price far below retail). But then I find an Isaia suit and all of my moral dilemmas suddenly fade away for some reason.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Back to Thom Browne, heres my 2018 hector bag (and flannel sleeper) that I bought at retail, and I checked my shirts that I bought a retail 2 years ago and 5 years ago and all the points in the W touch. @dad2bandm

Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 6.00.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 6.01.03 PM.png

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
D961EB80-5BEE-4A37-9FD9-1AC6A9EC9501.jpeg
16AD4613-E7C0-4C14-8E7B-833492A93593.jpeg
B4949AA9-79C6-418D-AC55-165310F96E82.jpeg
AF02B29F-86B5-4516-BDB8-436EAB9BC02C.jpeg
0674D4D1-69E3-4508-A861-426BE46ED9DC.jpeg
E56DE2F6-EC3F-4A14-8539-23AEDDC5FCF0.jpeg
7A69B808-FA7B-44B5-900E-06607FAC0ED2.jpeg
B6316959-7F06-473F-BC07-1693D7678313.jpeg
F826913D-FAC1-4265-9D67-4F8DCFE7E611.jpeg
686F1DE0-910E-42FE-BAFA-3AD8972D53B6.jpeg
E620135E-2EF6-41E5-B764-BF9F4935C08E.jpeg
5B93766F-6ACF-459C-800B-9E5C9787C5BC.jpeg
1636148E-7094-41A9-979E-72362DD37BFF.jpeg
14EC088F-02AC-4724-BCD5-8001B6F95EC1.jpeg
#onestop true thrift PPU $4.95. I have lots more to post from this haul but needed to get these animals out of here. LP is stone mint with the cashmere gilet, hood, AND throat latch wtf. The missoni coat is probably one of the best women’s pieces I’ve ever thrifted. Reversible and also mint. I think I was more excited about that one than the Horsey. Almost. Maybe. Furs are lamb, sheep shearling, lamb shearling, silver fox x2, mink patchwork, cheetah print mink, raccoon/tanuki, and the theory is the nicest one. I’d assume rabbit but it feels nicer than that. Maybe Rex. I gotta look it up. But yeah $4.95 PPU.

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I saw that thing on the Barneys or Bergdorf website and immediately thought of you.
Yeah was an instakop. (Once it went on super discount, $3,000 ******)

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folk shirt jacket. Nice heavy fabric. Looked it up online and it was a collab they did with Camden town which they only sold at the physical brewery locations in the UK. Not sure what one was doing nwt in a Manhattan gw.
IMG_20180822_194840.jpg IMG_20180822_194907.jpg

Never too late to cop more summer tees. Vil, orlebar brown, and a screen stars 50/50.
IMG_20180822_195024.jpg

Been pretty slow otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics