• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Temple of Jawnz Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
+1,000,000

got my JD in may, still no job

Networking is key. I'm actually reaching out to my old professors to help me find graduating students/recent grads that need jobs. Apparently a lot of these kids want 6 figure income to be spoon fed to them right off the bat. The $23/hour I'm offering isn't good enough for fresh out of college kids with no experience.

Drew - the red leather that aeglues got his DR in, was that an exclusive one time thing? Are you guys offering leather in any color besides black and brown at the moment?

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not right now, but soon I hope - I need a special zipper to do that, and it's on back order. Bombers can be made in other colors, but that is a case by case thing because oft times, that jacket doesn't really look good in other colors. Also, most leathers beyond the black and brown lambs are thin comparatively because the meaty lamb is from NZ and the thin lambs are much more common and from Italy, and I dislike sending jackets out feeling that thin.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Not right now, but soon I hope - I need a special zipper to do that, and it's on back order. Bombers can be made in other colors, but that is a case by case thing because oft times, that jacket doesn't really look good in other colors. Also, most leathers beyond the black and brown lambs are thin comparatively because the meaty lamb is from NZ and the thin lambs are much more common and from Italy, and I dislike sending jackets out feeling that thin.
Alright, man. Just keep me posted when you have some other colors to offer. I will get a moto if I can get it in red, blue, or gray. The wait can be 2 months, and I will not care much.

I've been going back and forth about a WV, but they won't look good with the majority of my footwear (Aldens)
frown.gif

I'm also guessing you won't have new leather designs up and running until summer at the earliest right? (To make it on time for FW11).

Tago Mago

Reaction score

Hmm, I actually just ordered one of the new season motos in grey lamb and from what it sounded like it wouldn't be an issue to make. Will the jacket quality suffer compared to if I had ordered in black? I had no idea it made a difference.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drew, what's the word on washing calf jackets? Just as bad an idea as washing the lambs? I notice there's a pic of a washed calf DR (the original sample, I believe) on the TOJ Pixi gallery.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lorenzo
have to disagree...just have a look at the before and after pics of aeglus' jacket

looks amazing

disagree, I preferred that jacket unwashed.
also, aeglus has a tiny, low-powered drum washing machine that is fairly gentle on clothes, most of you guys have much more violent washing machines that'd tear jackets up the way he washes them.
The real way we had washed lamb before was for me to wash 6-10 lamb hides at a time (that's enough for 1-1.5 jackets) and then I'd have to spin the water out, and then hang them to dry. I broke my washing machine 3 times last year and they had to come install new capacitators each time.
redface.gif
The tailors then hand ironed each hide out to get rid of the wrinkles, so it was definitely grating on all of us.... but wrinkles were never part of the TOJ lambskin equation. The jackets should be smooth and crease and fall in natural areas, and not look artificially distressed. If you wear an unwashed jacket enough, it'll wear in on it's own, and it'll look great in the process.

Originally Posted by Tago Mago
Hmm, I actually just ordered one of the new season motos in grey lamb and from what it sounded like it wouldn't be an issue to make. Will the jacket quality suffer compared to if I had ordered in black? I had no idea it made a difference.

The grey comes in a thicker lamb like the black and brown, so it'll match weight-wise and feel just the same as a black or brown one. Like I said, it's a case by case thing, mainly directed at people asking about red, blue, those colors. We are on back order with the special zips though, so it'll just take a lil longer for those.

Originally Posted by robertorex
Drew, what's the word on washing calf jackets? Just as bad an idea as washing the lambs? I notice there's a pic of a washed calf DR (the original sample, I believe) on the TOJ Pixi gallery.

Calf doesn't really take up water like the lamb does, so washing is not that important. The pic I took of the washed leather was just an experiment I did, to test durability and stuff like that, just an R+D test. You could soak it in really, really hot bathwater and then hang it so that you get a nice pucker effect on the seams, but it's not going to go from brand new to vintage looking solely via water, you need really wear it.

max_r

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
disagree, I preferred that jacket unwashed.
also, aeglus has a tiny, low-powered drum washing machine that is fairly gentle on clothes, most of you guys have much more violent washing machines that'd tear jackets up the way he washes them.
The real way we had washed lamb before was for me to wash 6-10 lamb hides at a time (that's enough for 1-1.5 jackets) and then I'd have to spin the water out, and then hang them to dry. I broke my washing machine 3 times last year and they had to come install new capacitators each time.
redface.gif
The tailors then hand ironed each hide out to get rid of the wrinkles, so it was definitely grating on all of us.... but wrinkles were never part of the TOJ lambskin equation. The jackets should be smooth and crease and fall in natural areas, and not look artificially distressed. If you wear an unwashed jacket enough, it'll wear in on it's own, and it'll look great in the process.

just out of curiosity, is there a safe way to achieve the kind of effect aeglus did with his moto? i never really liked how his looked before (very structured like someone said) but i love how it drapes now.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4
Networking is key. I'm actually reaching out to my old professors to help me find graduating students/recent grads that need jobs. Apparently a lot of these kids want 6 figure income to be spoon fed to them right off the bat. The $23/hour I'm offering isn't good enough for fresh out of college kids with no experience.

Drew - the red leather that aeglues got his DR in, was that an exclusive one time thing? Are you guys offering leather in any color besides black and brown at the moment?

Wow I'm surprised unless your company is in NYC (or someplace with a ridiculous cost of living) or these kids graduated with honors from an Ivy League school. I had to take a series of contract jobs that paid a lot less than that before I found my first full-time job that paid slightly less than that still. If that's the attitude of some of the kids, it serves them right being unemployed.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Meis
+1,000,000

got my JD in may, still no job

Sucks to hear that man. My friend passed the bar exam for California on his first try and still couldn't find a job for like 9 months. This was a couple years ago. He ended up having to move 300 miles away to a smaller city for a job. Good luck.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wj4

Somehow missed this before my late afternoon nap, but that is crazy. haha. You should look elsewhere for hungry kids, they work harder and appreciate more. I really don't know what's going on in America anymore, but it's weird.

Originally Posted by lorenzo
its a matter of opinion, but i have now washed 4 leather jackets, 3 lamb and one calf, and all of them look and fit a lot better now...they actually come to life as they drape and mould to your body

http://jawn.mikevitoroulis.net/viewtopic.php?id=1519

Did you Lexol the **** out of that thing after the soak? Looks like two different types of leather. Your 'after' pic does look good, but your 'before' pic is of a jacket that's already been shrunken and distressed; a bit different than what I am trying to get at. The NZ lamb I use is full of lanolin, and once that leather gets permeated with leather and creased (as a washing machine would do to it) then it's creased. I prefer the look of a leather creased in the right places, with varied levels of shine and calandering in logical places. It's like worn-in dry denim vs pre-distressed denim; if you've seen an honestly worn-in leather jacket, you won't want to try wearing your jacket in via washing machine.

Originally Posted by max_r
just out of curiosity, is there a safe way to achieve the kind of effect aeglus did with his moto? i never really liked how his looked before (very structured like someone said) but i love how it drapes now.

They settle in after a few weeks wear anyway. Most of the time you see fresh out of the packaging jackets in fit pics. A couple weeks of wearing and pulling to relax the jacket will get them looking molded.

splattered

Reaction score
How far back are the Aeglus DR photos?

I have a calf moto that is both slightly big and feels overly structured, ive never worn it cause it drives me crazy when i put it on sit it just hangs in my closet... ive wondered what it would look like washed/beat up. Could i even wash a calf jacket to get a similar effect seeing as how its thicker than the lamb? Dunno if i havent read into this thread in ages...

bony boy

Reaction score
My initiation to the Jawnzer:

Attachment 57128
Attachment 57129

Baseline 47 with 1.5" to sleeve lengths - it may sound silly, but I drive a lot and I
ffffuuuu.gif
when sleeves keep riding up on my arms. Pics look awesome because I am a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER can't you tell?!

MiniW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yes lorenzo, please tell us what has happened to the jacket in addition to the wash, did you apply conditioner or oil of any sort, or just wore the hell out of it? The original jacket is already a "washed" leather by BS, but whatever you did to it made it looks a helluva better, enlighten us please

stick

Reaction score
The jackets should be smooth and crease and fall in natural areas, and not look artificially distressed. If you wear an unwashed jacket enough, it'll wear in on it's own, and it'll look great in the process.

Agreed. Vashin's unwashed moto:

Vashin_001.jpg

Vashin2.jpg

Vashin3.jpg

Vashin4.jpg

Looks awesome. The only reason you don't see a lot of well worn, drapey ToJ leathers is because people take fit pics when they get their jackets and disappear. aeglus is the only one I can think of who's posted a lot of pics of his ToJ leathers over the course of time, and since he's washed all of his jackets there's no way to tell what they could've looked like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads