• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madridista

Reaction score
Hello Gents,

I purchased a Meermin dark brown double monk. Somehow, I managed to get scratch/scuff mark on the front of the shoe.
As you can see, the white color beneath is visible. What do the experts here recommend I do? I have Saphir Renovateur. What do you recommend I should get ? Saphir Pate De Luxe or Saphir Médaille d'Or Pommadier (1925) in either Mahogany or dark brown?

Thank you!

MiguelSF

Reaction score
Benhour, that was a 15 minute job, so after spending another 20 minutes bulling the toe cap, it's pretty damn close to a mirror finish now. Thanks for your comments though.

I'm still learning and whilst Kiwi isn't the most "premium" brand out there, they've been around for decades and I'm happy with their products.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I expect I am telling you what you already know. Bradshaw and Lloyd indicate that the Loake's 'Shoemakers', 'L1', and 'Lifestyle' collections are all made from corrected leather.  Also, Loake's website, in small print and buried quite a way inside it suggest they use two types of leather: corrected and calf in making their shoes. By my reckoning, the '1880', 'Design' and 'Evolution' collections are made from calf. 

The top end of Shoemakers line are actually full grain, their comfort range, and are priced accordingly.

On the site, you can search by leather type.

thecooldude33

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this weird "dull" spot I have on one of my Cliftons? I don't know if it's just excess wax or the leather is just bad or something on that spot (they are factory seconds). I tried using the Allen Edmonds Cleaner/Conditioner to get most of the wax off and then attempted to reapply polish and wax, but the spot is just stubborn. Maybe my polishing cloths are too dirty or something. Anyways, I apologize for the crappy pics, I didn't have good lighting, but you can make out the weird looking spot on the toe cap...maybe I need to order some renomat or renovateur?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: The top end of Shoemakers line are actually full grain, their comfort range, and are priced accordingly.

On the site, you can search by leather type.

Yes, you are right, wurger. Thanks a lot.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On closer examination, all of the top ends of Loake's shoe ranges - except the Indian made Li range, are made of calf leather. The 1880 range are all made of calf.

pazzion

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried getting that magic mirror shine this weekend. It was my first try and I used an old pillow case, Saphir Pate de Luxe and water. They have become pretty shiny and reflective, but I don't seem to be able to get it any better than this. Any tips?

I used a really light touch in the end and only super thin layers with one to two drops of water for each dab of wax. If two drops I would swirl in the wax and first drop, and if the wax was still a bit cloudy and not as smooth as I'd like I would add another drop of water and work that in until clear to the eye and smooth to the touch.

Any secrets to be learned?

gm5d.jpg

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score
I'm still learning and whilst Kiwi isn't the most "premium" brand out there, they've been around for decades and I'm happy with their products.
i am not referring on kiwi brand! i am referring on Parade gloss specifically !! Parade gloss has silicone!! this product is develop to give a good -easy spit shine or mirror shine (i think their first priority was armed forces when they developed it) but silicone is not good for shoes in time depth!!
smile.gif

benhour

Reaction score
Hi,

I tried getting that magic mirror shine this weekend. It was my first try and I used an old pillow case, Saphir Pate de Luxe and water. They have become pretty shiny and reflective, but I don't seem to be able to get it any better than this. Any tips?

I used a really light touch in the end and only super thin layers with one to two drops of water for each dab of wax. If two drops I would swirl in the wax and first drop, and if the wax was still a bit cloudy and not as smooth as I'd like I would add another drop of water and work that in until clear to the eye and smooth to the touch.

Any secrets to be learned?

gm5d.jpg
as far as i can see this is a really good outcome for the first try!!! really good job!!

some little tips!! first of all you ll need a better cloth!! try a microfiber cotton cloth(selvit or sunglasses cloth) !! Mr Rider recommends an old tie too!! Generally a cloth with smouth and soft surface

keep puttuing drops of water till you see the surface going clear and smouth!!Blow while you are doing circles(for me it is helping a lot)!!
try the last buff with a tiny amount of cream polish(2-3 pinheads for the entire toe)!! cream has a lot les solvents than paste(wax) polish so it wont desolve previous layers!!

finally as you go with the layers put less and les presure after its coate!! hope this ll help you

Cunrad

Reaction score

Exotic skins like crocodile, alligator, lizard, and so on are not like calfskin and should be treated as such. There are reptile cleaners and conditioners for this purpose.

Would you please tell us a bit more about appropriate care for exotic leathers. Can you recommend a specific product or brand for this?

Can anyone else add his expertise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads