• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The7Ups

Reaction score
Quote:

Most of my shoes are Church's or C&J, a couple of Aldens and Tricker's and the above looks like a high quality job, however I have never put a toppy on the soles of any of them because of the following

The above is a scan of the care card that comes with all pairs of Church's and they state that stick on soles are not advisable.

Clearly Church's are promoting their full repair and restoration service but just wondering has anyone sent a goodyear welted shoe like an Alden, C&J or Church's back to the factory for restoration with a rubber stick on sole only for the manufacturer refuse to carry out a repair because of the toppy?

(BTW I contacted Church's previously about the fitting of metal toe taps and they were cool about them but the impression I get from them is stick on soles should never be applied and in some way allows them to wash their hands of the shoe if it comes in for repair with a toppy).

Lear

Reaction score

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Clearly Church's are promoting their full repair and restoration service but just wondering has anyone sent a goodyear welted shoe like an Alden, C&J or Church's back to the factory for restoration with a rubber stick on sole only for the manufacturer refuse to carry out a repair because of the toppy?

I sent a pair of JL William back to Lobb to fix one of the straps and they repaired them no questions asked. I went to the store on Madison and the SA didn't even bat an eye when he saw the sole protectors.

Last edited:

The7Ups

Reaction score
I sent a pair of JL William back to Lobb to fix one of the straps and they repaired them no questions asked. I went to the store on Madison and the SA didn't even bat an eye when he saw the sole protectors.

But were you getting a full shoe refurb on the original last (including internal sock and soles) or just a specific item for repair?

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But were you getting a full shoe refurb on the original last (including internal sock and soles) or just a specific item for repair?

No. I was having one of the straps fixed. The language in the Church's insert makes it sound as though they reserve the right to void all warranties if the shoe is sent to a cobbler for sole protection.

The7Ups

Reaction score
No. I was having one of the straps fixed. The language in the Church's insert makes it sound as though they reserve the right to void all warranties if the shoe is sent to a cobbler for sole protection.

Yup, that's my reading of it too.

But it raises the question are Church's correct in saying that a toppy can negatively alter a shoe or is this complete BS. Alden and Tricker care inserts to the best of my recollection don't mention this and C&J doesn't provide care instructions with their shoes at all.

To be fair to Church's I have seen examples of their full refurbs and the repair quality is of a very high standard for about 90GBP and item can be sent to them directly rather than via the shop it was bought in but would be curious to hear from posters if Church's are being overly precious regarding no toppies as I do see some benefits to having them applied to the sole.

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, that's my reading of it too.

But it raises the question are Church's correct in saying that a toppy can negatively alter a shoe or is this complete BS. Alden and Tricker care inserts to the best of my recollection don't mention this and C&J doesn't provide care instructions with their shoes at all.

To be fair to Church's I have seen examples of their full refurbs and the repair quality is of a very high standard for about 90GBP and item can be sent to them directly rather than via the shop it was bought in but would be curious to hear from posters if Church's are being overly precious regarding no toppies as I do see some benefits to having them applied to the sole.

Sounds like complete BS. They're going to cut the old sole off completely, so what possible difference could a millimeter of rubber on the outside make?

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How are people getting on with these two Saphir edge dressing products?

Safe cream:

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/saphir-renovating-sole-dressing.html#.URz3CNtxN0s

vs

Scary liquid. A steady hand or certain death: :cry:

http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/c...s-cleaners-price-asc/products/saphir-teinture

I'm not dying the shoe leather, just sprucing up the edge. What else is one supposed to do on February 14th?

Cheers

Lear

I use regular Saphir colour cream for the edges. Works for me.

Last edited:

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lear, I use the scary liquid. (living on the edge)
Works fine for (re)colouring and lasts longer.
Cream is also fine but will have to be applied more frequently.

Lear

Reaction score

I use regular Saphir colour cream for the edges. Works for me.

Lear, I use the scary liquid. (living on the edge)
Works fine for (re)colouring and lasts longer.
Cream is also fine but will have to be applied more frequently.

Thanks to you both.

Crat, do you use a low adhesive (low tack) tape to mask off the shoe, or just nerves of steel? I realize that anything other than low tack might pull the finish off.

I also realize that it's dyeing not dying. But if I get it wrong, I'll have to throw myself upon my own shoehorn (genuine horn by the way).

I'm also wondering what you say to a postman who has permanently dyed black hands, and ain't smiling.

Lear

kentyman

Reaction score
I'm also wondering what you say to a postman who has permanently dyed black hands, and ain't smiling.

"Wow, nice shoes..."

TheSizzle

Reaction score
This week, I finally got my Brooks Brothers (by AE) linen and calf leather wingtips, and I figured I would post up some pictures of how I dealt with the linen area.

Since I didn't want to get fabric protector onto the leather (mainly to maintain its ability to take a polish and amenable to creams and lotions). So, I taped off the leather portions with low-tack painters tape. Then, I gave it a few coats of spray, letting it dry in between coats. Once I finally removed the tape, I did have to reapply a coat of polish/cream because even the lightest tape still leaves marks from adhesion.

Though the pictures seem to show some darkening, I don't think they actually changed colors. It's partially the lighting (as you can tell by the shoe trees changing colors), and they might still be a slight bit moist.

Before:

All Taped Up:

After:

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Nice job. Do you have to tape off the linen when polishing?

I don't think that's necessary. The leather sticks out more than the linen. So, as long as you don't power down too hard in your swipes, you can still get a light brushing in. Mainly, I was just careful, and I chose angles that would risk the least overlap with the linen and short strokes. Using a cloth and polishing it very carefully would probably be easy too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Directly from the Allen Edmonds site, I just purchased:

2 Horse Hair Daubers
Polish
Cream

I have the Strands in Walnut Calf with a scuff on the toe. Are there any recommendations you can give, so that I can make them look amazing again, and not ruin them. Thank you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads