• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CWL317

Reaction score
if you put a pair of shoes by the window exposed to daylight, will the leather turn a lighter shade eventually?

CWL317

Reaction score
Take a picture and show us.
Apologies for belated reply... here you go... I’ve been trying to burnish the toes and thought I over-done the right shoe... what do you think? :embar:

2B7A1FE0-82E3-4C3C-85F9-7E22ADA6EBD9.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you put a pair of shoes by the window exposed to daylight, will the leather turn a lighter shade eventually?
That depends on the glass in the window. If more recent, it probably filters out some of the UV light, but eventually they will fade. To expedite fading, put them outside in direct sun for a few weeks/months.

CWL317

Reaction score
That depends on the glass in the window. If more recent, it probably filters out some of the UV light, but eventually they will fade. To expedite fading, put them outside in direct sun for a few weeks/months.
I was wondering about the stores putting shoes in their windows, might it not cause fading which will then mismatch with the paired shoe that isn’t on display?

CWL317

Reaction score
Thanks audog ? I want to lighten my dark brown C&J Audley so I think I’ll put them on the window ledge and see what happens...

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting any leather products in direct sunlight is not a good plan. It will dry out the leather, age them prematurely and may cause them to dry out and eventually crack. Not, perhaps, a great way to treat C&Js.

CWL317

Reaction score
Putting any leather products in direct sunlight is not a good plan. It will dry out the leather, age them prematurely and may cause them to dry out and eventually crack. Not, perhaps, a great way to treat C&Js.
Thanks Munky for your wisdom and warning. I’d better not!

Chowkin

Reaction score
I was wondering about the stores putting shoes in their windows, might it not cause fading which will then mismatch with the paired shoe that isn’t on display?

From Permanent Style:

It’s also interesting how some of those have aged. Foster’s became known for the ‘Foster’s fade’ on its shoes that came from pairs being in the window for years at a time. The sunlight faded areas such as the toe cap and heel, creating a rather pleasing bleached effect – you can see it to particularly good effect in the top photo.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From Permanent Style:

It’s also interesting how some of those have aged. Foster’s became known for the ‘Foster’s fade’ on its shoes that came from pairs being in the window for years at a time. The sunlight faded areas such as the toe cap and heel, creating a rather pleasing bleached effect – you can see it to particularly good effect in the top photo.

I suspect that this was for the person who wanted something 'different'. I don't imagine that if you asked someone in Foster's how to care for their shoes they would say: 'That's easy, sir, just stick them in the window, when you get home and leave them there for a few years'. Best wishes, Munky.

CWV

Reaction score
DEShellvedge on IG has been finding great success protecting his Chromexcel Carmina boots using Pure Polish Neutral Cream - which has similar properties to the one you mentioned, sans Jojoba Oil.

The many tanning processes CX goes through, gives it an almost “shell cordovan”-esque self healing property. So you can keep the products light, and mainly keep the oils replenished and wax from scuffing the surface (toes/heels) due to behavior.

Caveat: As you and many know, I’m the proprietor of Pure Polish, DEShellvedge is a friend, not a paid model or advertiser. I just want to share real world customer experience that’s been exemplified as recently as yesterday.

Do your products darken leather? Are they good for pebbled grain?

CWL317

Reaction score
Doesn't look over burnished by my account at all. They look fine? In fact, they look nice?
Thanks JFWR :) I think I’m going to stop there and start wearing them! Does anyone else get nervous wearing new shoes for the first time or is it just me? :embar:

CWL317

Reaction score
About lightening my dark brown Audleys... how do you achieve a marbled effect with light and dark areas, like what Lobb does on their shoes?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads