• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cadmonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone ever taken a RRL plaid shirt to a tailor to get it shortened? What do you do to the sewn placket tag that gets in the way?

You mean the older shirts with the care tags tucked into the placket or the unionmade labels that are on the back of the placket?

Either way, once trimmed off it's an easy seam rip job. They are both tacked down by the same stitches used to attach the placket to the torso front.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
You mean the older shirts with the care tags tucked into the placket or the unionmade labels that are on the back of the placket?

Either way, once trimmed off it's an easy seam rip job. They are both tacked down by the same stitches used to attach the placket to the torso front.

I mean this RRL tag. Do you guys just take it off or ask the tailor to sew it back on and move it an inch or two higher?

Last edited:

cadmonkey

Reaction score
I mean this RRL tag. Do you guys just take it off or ask the tailor to sew it back on and move it an inch or two higher?

Gotcha! You could definitely just sew it back on ala:

That little box is all topstitching that's just holding the label on the reverse side. So it was sewn after everything else was put together. Yours on the otherhand is caught in the chainstitch that holds the placket together (much cleaner imo).

If you're not actually taking that much length off, I think the top of the label would be a good ~3-4" in total, you'd just need to unpick some of the topstitching from the otherside off to fully remove it, and then back tack over the existing topstitching to keep the placket in place. Any tailor would be able to recognize that and know what to do though, that's an easy fix.

Another option (my favorite) would be to catch into into the hem felling. This doesn't require any extra topsttiching.

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Speaking of functional purpose, Belstaff coat with RRL cardigan and denim. Functional because it was pissing rain to beat the band when this photo was taken..

Bonus shot of some killer Rios of Mercedes boots that look so fine with RRL denim..

walds11

Reaction score
Sorry for the bathroom mirror shot, but here goes my gear for TGIF...

Matlock Plaid Workshirt
Slim Fit Fairview wash jeans
Alden Ultimate Indy boots

aquila49

Reaction score
Sorry for the bathroom mirror shot, but here goes my gear for TGIF...

Matlock Plaid Workshirt
Slim Fit Fairview wash jeans
Alden Ultimate Indy boots

Sweet!

How do the ladies at the office like the look?

Best compliment I receive (these days, anyway) is when a woman stops me to ask, "Where can I get that (shirt, jeans, vest, etc.) for my husband?"

Last edited:

walds11

Reaction score

Sweet!

Sweet! 

Best compliment I receive (these days, anyway) is when a woman stops me to ask, "Where can I get that (shirt, jeans, vest, etc.) for my husband?"

Thanks! Same here
1f44d.png

aquila49

Reaction score
In the spirit of Flashback Friday—here are some photos of RRL pieces that appear in "My Rugged 211" by Minoru Onozato, the Japanese style maven who is also the editor Free and Easy magazine.

"My Rugged 211" is a visual catalog of Onozato's collection of rugged-style clothing and accessories—both original vintage items and modern reproductions. It's a must-have for anyone who's into heritage-style clothing.

Most of the Onozato's RRL gear appears to be from the early to mid 1990's.

For more information about the book and Onozato, see:

My Rugged 211 post from the Stussy blog

A feature on Free and Easy on RL.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads