• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MasterOfDomains

Reaction score
According to the lookbook, arent these U.S. standard chinos? The tanker olive is for the Officer Field Chino and they have the corozo buttons you speak of.
Here's great deal for someone of a certain length and breadth—RRL Officer's Field Chinos in a size 32 for 99.00. We're all familiar with doctored images that hype RRL clothing sold online. But here's a case in which generic-looking web store photos fail to do the pants justice. From RL.com: One really needs to see these chinos in person to appreciate the construction and sumptuous fabric, a ribbed, 12.8 oz "faille" cloth that is both rugged and silky. The photos below more accurately capture the texture and classic military color (Tanker Olive) of the trousers. Another bonus is the use of 13-star "burst of glory" metal buttons that duplicate the look of WWII U.S. Army fasteners. In addition to the heritage look, they're a welcome alternative to the poorly-sewn corozo buttons that have plagued RRL chinos in recent years.

aquila49

Reaction score
According to the lookbook, arent these U.S. standard chinos?
The tanker olive is for the Officer Field Chino and they have the corozo buttons you speak of.

I am not sure what the lookbook says but I know item descriptions and names will sometimes change before they go on sale. The chinos are no longer for sale on ralphlauren.com but I took some screenshots, one of which shows the Tanker Olive color label. Not much detail but you can see the metal buttons in the second image.

There's definitely some confusion with the naming scheme RL employs for its chinos. Several other pants are identified as having an "Olive" color, including the Officer's Flat Front Chino and the U.S. Standard Chino.

aquila49

Reaction score
i can't say ive ever had a truly all out positive experience dealing with send sales from the new york stores.

i understand that in store client'el is an obvious priority but the amount of times ive been given excuses and straight up lied to from SA's about stuff just to get off the phone because they don't like dealing with it is a bit unreasonable

Really? I guess I'm lucky. I deal with SAs on both coast and they've always been helpful and proactive.

To echo what someone else said, if you're buying RRL from brick-and-mortar stores it's pretty essential to develop an ongoing relationship with an SA.

That said, there's no excusing any salesperson who lies or is rude to a customer.

Gruff

Reaction score
Really? I guess I'm lucky. I deal with SAs on both coast and they've always been helpful and proactive.

To echo what someone else said, if you're buying RRL from brick-and-mortar stores it's pretty essential to develop an ongoing relationship with an SA.

That said, there's no excusing any salesperson who lies or is rude to a customer.

+1. I've ordered a couple of times from West Broadway and they've always been polite and responsive.

In fact, earlier this week I received the deerskin leather vest I ordered from West Broadway. They only had one left in store in my size and it was on a mannequin - the SA went and pulled it for me, shipped it and proactively refunded me the difference between NY tax and my state so I wouldn't get overcharged. I wish more people were that conscientious in their jobs.

The only problem with trying to develop a working relationship with an SA is that they'll probably disappear relatively quickly from what's still a minimum wage gig. I can't imagine anyone really wants to work in an RL store any longer than they have to.

Last edited:

xltros

Reaction score
Looks like a minor distress. i have a jacket from RRL that is not distressed but I noticed a slight distress in the back. Its minor so I kept it.
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably keep them. But curious if anyone else with the sulphur springs noticed this too?

Also, a general question. Will the pre staining oil/grease marks come out over time with washing? I don't like that aspect of the jeans and hope they do....

Bobbo316

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I echo the responses on SA's. The guy I deal with on the west coast is awesome. He's gotten to know my style. He holds things for me, sends me look books, sends me gifts, makes me aware and in some cases even grants early access to sales.

Ralphlauren.com was a complete nightmare for me. I'm happy I made the switch and rarely order things from .com. If I have too (inseam 30 is usually only online) my SA will place the order for me, grant me in store deals and stand behind the sale as if it was from his store.

Maybe I just got lucky if these guys are only making minimum wage, I always assumed they got paid commission on sales.

MasterOfDomains

Reaction score
I am not sure what the lookbook says but I know item descriptions and names will sometimes change before they go on sale. The chinos are no longer for sale on ralphlauren.com but I took some screenshots, one of which shows the Tanker Olive color label. Not much detail but you can see the metal buttons in the second image. There's definitely some confusion with the naming scheme RL employs for its chinos. Several other pants are identified as having an "Olive" color, including the Officer's Flat Front Chino and the U.S. Standard Chino. .

Gruff

Reaction score
I echo the responses on SA's. The guy I deal with on the west coast is awesome. He's gotten to know my style. He holds things for me, sends me look books, sends me gifts, makes me aware and in some cases even grants early access to sales.

Ralphlauren.com was a complete nightmare for me. I'm happy I made the switch and rarely order things from .com. If I have too (inseam 30 is usually only online) my SA will place the order for me, grant me in store deals and stand behind the sale as if it was from his store.

Maybe I just got lucky if these guys are only making minimum wage, I always assumed they got paid commission on sales.

Good point. I don't know, maybe they do. If that's the case, an SA would be an idiot to disrespect a customer and potentially lose money.

Tangentially related to RRL, but I noticed that Black Label's no longer being sold on the website. Wonder if they discontinued the brand...

Last edited:

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SA's get commission. most of them are helpful...1 of the fairly new guys at West Broadway though, every time i've seen him he would tell me that "this item isn't going to make it to sale bc it's limited edition, it's flying off the racks..." he probably sold cars before this.

Cooly

Reaction score
+1 on getting items from in-store or through a SA on the phone. I've so far (knock on wood) had nothing but positive (glowing) experiences. Dealing with RL sales makes me think this is the way it should be (or perhaps used to be back in "the good ol' days").

Last edited:

boxdok

Reaction score
Black Label is discontinued. Its being fuse into blue label. If you check on line there are quite a few pieces of blue label that look like they would have been a part of Black Label.

oceansaway

Reaction score

Black Label is discontinued. Its being fuse into blue label. If you check on line there are quite a few pieces of blue label that look like they would have been a part of Black Label.

An SA at the Mansion told me last week that Black Label was being incorporated into Purple Label.

JibranK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

An SA at the Mansion told me last week that Black Label was being incorporated into Purple Label.

This has already happened. The previous poster is incorrect. If you go to an RL boutique or the website, RLBL is listed as a subset of RLPL.

(In fact, it seems like Blue Label is being moved a little downmarket.)

oceansaway

Reaction score

(In fact, it seems like Blue Label is being moved a little downmarket.)

Agree. I was pretty disappointed with the Fifth Ave Polo store. It exemplifies mass market. Ditto the Polo store in Soho. I miss the old RL men's store on Bleecker Street, which was sized just right.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Beware of the Herringbone Officer's Chinos that are on sale.
http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...RRL&s=D-DollarRank&fg=Brand&parentPage=family

I ordered a pair in Brick but the pair I received had a price tag/hang tag the size I ordered but the tag on the waistband was a totally different size.

I re-ordered the Brick and also added the Service Blue. I ordered the next size up as compared to the selvedge officer chinos or denim.
The Brick ones fit but the Service Blue ones measure about 4 inches smaller in the waist as compared to the Brick.
I like the pants but there's something messed up with QC on this model. At least there are free returns with ShopRunner.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads