• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

90shilling

Reaction score
Hi all, what is the consensus on sizing and stretching/shrinkage for the twill officer's chinos (10.5 oz rigid selvedge)?

Size down one full size on the waist because it stretches with wear? Or does it shrink when washed?

ExhibitA

Reaction score
Hi all, what is the consensus on sizing and stretching/shrinkage for the twill officer's chinos (10.5 oz rigid selvedge)?

Size down one full size on the waist because it stretches with wear? Or does it shrink when washed?

can't say.. had my pair for 3 months, never washed. waist is a bit bigger than expect, thigh's are perfect. thigh area pretty form fitting. if i purchased them again i'd get the same size. i wear these paints pretty regularly around the house.

UltraMagnetical

Reaction score
Does anyone know what wash this is? Or what season its from? Anyone one them?

subdivide

Reaction score
Yeah, these are the slim fit 'Slate Blue' wash - I've got a pair and I really like them. The distressing is minimal and they fade nicely with wear.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of the slate blues. Think they was advertised on the site as being quite heavyweight - like 15/16oz or something - definitely doesn't seem that heavy. They are really nice but, although slim fit, I had to have them tapered and the waist taken in slightly - they were a looser fit than my regular slims.

90shilling

Reaction score
can't say.. had my pair for 3 months, never washed. waist is a bit bigger than expect, thigh's are perfect. thigh area pretty form fitting. if i purchased them again i'd get the same size. i wear these paints pretty regularly around the house.

Thanks, this is helpful. I bought a pair in my normal waist size and also found it to be slightly bigger than normal in the waist but good in the thighs. Glad to hear that after 3 months wear yours has not stretched. My experience with selvedge denim is to usually choose a waist size that is borderline too tight because it will stretch with wear.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
after much of trying and never thing, I will be selling my rigid slim fit. these are the older ones that still use the Japan weave. they have been washed twice. will be on the market soon.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ sorry to hear that man what made you decide to sell? Those are some of my all time favorite jeans and def bang for buck. Gl with sale

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i went TTS on those and it's really tight, plus my huge calf always get in the way while wearing them. however, i have to say tho RRL jeans is probably one of the best out there.

I am thinking pick up a slim straight or size up on those and see if it will fit better....

@namor, I thought you said a while ago that you sold off your slim fit because you didn't like the fit?

Last edited:

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol i did sell my first pair and then bought another in tts. when i purchased my first pair, RRL attendant told me to suck it up and size down to (33) which i did but they never stretched much in the thigh and leg so it was uncomfortable still after a few months of wear. then tried my luck with tts and fits like a dream. waist slightly big but nothing a belt doesnt remedy

Last edited:

DeSense

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My experience, a tag 34 is 36" IRL, a tag 33 is 35", huge seat on top. Then they stretch 1" minimum, likely 1.5". There is a dedicated thread some place here.
Size down 2-3 sizes from your real waist measurement, if yours is 34, get a tag 31, etc.

Trimalchio

Reaction score
I have a pair of the slate blues. Think they was advertised on the site as being quite heavyweight - like 15/16oz or something - definitely doesn't seem that heavy. They are really nice but, although slim fit, I had to have them tapered and the waist taken in slightly - they were a looser fit than my regular slims.
I have these as well. Couple things:
- They are definitely NOT 15oz+ - I would say more like 13.5 if that.
- The fabric is great, though a little more grainy vs slubby. But I like that
- The fit, as others have mentioned, runs a little large. I decided to size TTS (which in RRL is like sizing up most of the time) and had the waist taken in about 1". Now they are 98% perfect. I'm happy with that decision since I'm tall and the low rise meant it gave me extra room
- The color looks great on its own, but is challenging to pair. I haven't quite figured out what to wear it with yet. Most of my standard blue oxfords clash with it, and plaids are even harder. I've been going with basic greys, which is fine, but kind of boring. Curious what other people have done here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads