• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Los Angeles Shopping + Dining Thread

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

What can I do if the service sucks/they don't deserve 18%? (if it's a mandatory service charge)

Complain? In extreme cases, shift your custom? I tend to think that relatively small variations in the amount of the tip are a pretty poor tool for communicating or "sending a message" about the quality of service, either negative or positive. Aside from the fact that the amount by which most tips vary isn't that much in the overall scheme of things, I suspect most of the "messaging" gets lost because tip size gets affected by so many other things -- general attitude of diner (Mr. Pink problem), poor math skills (I was an English major, so I'm probably often far off from what I intend), people paying cash but not having the right mix of bills, etc.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Complain? In extreme cases, shift your custom? I tend to think that relatively small variations in the amount of the tip are a pretty poor tool for communicating or "sending a message" about the quality of service, either negative or positive. Aside from the fact that the amount by which most tips vary isn't that much in the overall scheme of things, I suspect most of the "messaging" gets lost because tip size gets affected by so many other things -- general attitude of diner (Mr. Pink problem), poor math skills (I was an English major, so I'm probably often far off from what I intend), people paying cash but not having the right mix of bills, etc.

i agree. and generally, servers don't notice the difference between "A" tips and "A-minus" (or B-plus or even B-minus) tips. They only notice the extremes. if you're really generous or if you're a real asshole. furthermore, the work that has been done academically on this has found that tips really don't affect performance very much at all.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

i agree. and generally, servers don't notice the difference between "A" tips and "A-minus" (or B-plus or even B-minus) tips. They only notice the extremes. if you're really generous or if you're a real asshole. furthermore, the work that has been done academically on this has found that tips really don't affect performance very much at all.

The fact that I'm an asshole but am also usually a really generous tipper probably just adds to the confusion.

Last edited:

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fact that I'm an asshole but am also usually a really generous tipper probably just adds to the confusion.

it's probably like when my daughter was a toddler and we'd leave really big tips to apologize for the mess she made under the table.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this thread isn't meant for questions like this, but I am really having a hard time figuring out where to stay when visiting LA (from the Netherlands, have visited the States a couple of times but never been to LA). As I'll probably be using public transit, I'm kind of looking for hubs that make a lot of different neighborhoods easily reachable. I've read it is important to know where you want to go when going to LA. My main interests are shopping (not really interested in Rodeo Drive kind of stores, more interested in American Rag Cie and General Quarters kind of shops), visiting the various beaches, going for a drink in the evening (accesable bars), nice spots to lunch or dine and finally I'd like to do some hiking. I'm not really interested in the entertainment industry stuff or seeing celebs, visiting the hollywood sign or going to universal studios. I plan on staying at two different places for three nights each. So, which neighborshoods would be best to stay? If it matters, I will be traveling alone. Any advice is appreciated.

You might find that staying somewhere around the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue is convenient for many of the places that you want to visit. The Farmer's Daughter Hotel is very close to 3rd and Fairfax.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/farmers-daughter-hotel-los-angeles-2

From there, you can walk west on 3rd Street to Robertson, walk north on Robertson to Santa Monica Blvd and then walk back to Fairfax on Santa Monica Blvd, along with taking side trip walks along Melrose Ave (and the one block of Melrose Place) and/or along Beverly Blvd. You can also walk eest to La Cienega Blvd, and then north along La Cienega.

There are both Los Angeles Metro and the local DASH (or whatever it's called on the street where you are) busses.

From 3rd and Fairfax, you can also walk a few blocks south on Fairfax to Wilshire Blvd to the Los Angeles County Museum Of Art and the La Brea Tar Pits (or take a bus).

From 3rd and Fairfax you can also walk east on 3rd Street to La Brea Avenue, and then north (or south) on La Brea Avenue (or take a bus).

If you are going to be riding on the bus a lot, it's probably a good idea to get a TAP card, then pay for a day pass every day the first time each day that you get on a bus.

Most of the time, you will probably find the Metro buses (but not so much on the local DASH busses) crowded and rather noisy, as the Metro busses have closed circuit televisions that blast the riders with English and Spanish language commercials, which the passengers all ignore as they scream into their cell phones in every imaginable foreign language.

Everyone also insists on bringing a backpack on the bus, as if they were searching for the source of the Nile or going on a ten day forced march. I have no idea why people need backpacks. I go out every day without any impedimenta.

If you want to look around in the Silverlake area, the Santa Monica Blvd Metro busses pass through Silverlake on their way downtown.

You did not mention if you wanted to go urban or rural hiking. If you want to go rural hiking, you can take a bus north on La Brea Avenue and end up near Griffith Park. If you search online, you can find all sorts of hiking paths in Griffith Park. Just be prepared to see strange things as you hike.

I used to work witn a lady from Glasgow. She used to write home to her relatives in SCotland about how strange everything was in Los Angeles. They didn't believe her, so they came to see for themselves, and they found out that she wasn't even telling them half of it.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if this thread isn't meant for questions like this, but I am really having a hard time figuring out where to stay when visiting LA (from the Netherlands, have visited the States a couple of times but never been to LA). As I'll probably be using public transit, I'm kind of looking for hubs that make a lot of different neighborhoods easily reachable. I've read it is important to know where you want to go when going to LA. My main interests are shopping (not really interested in Rodeo Drive kind of stores, more interested in American Rag Cie and General Quarters kind of shops), visiting the various beaches, going for a drink in the evening (accesable bars), nice spots to lunch or dine and finally I'd like to do some hiking. I'm not really interested in the entertainment industry stuff or seeing celebs, visiting the hollywood sign or going to universal studios. I plan on staying at two different places for three nights each. So, which neighborshoods would be best to stay? If it matters, I will be traveling alone. Any advice is appreciated.

Now, as to the second part of your question, about places to stay and see by the seaside.

My friend always stays here when she comes to Los Angeles......

http://www.pacificahotels.com/innatvenicebeach

...it's a few blocks east of the Venice Pier. It's also located along the remains of the Grand Canal. You can walk north along the Grand Canal until you come to the few remaining Venice canals (which are different from the canals in the Netherlands). If you walk along Linnie Canal, you will come to the Linnie Canal Duck Park, where the ducks have their own little opening in the fence so that they can waddle from the canal into their park.

If you keep walking north from the Venice Canals, you will come to Abbot Kinney, where there are all sorts of (trendy) shops, bars, and restaurants.

If for some bizarre reason you decide that you want to go to Santa Monica, you can walk north from Venice along either Main Street (for shops, bars, and restaurants) or along the beach (and see the sights, which words cannot describe). If you walk far enough north, you will come to downtown Santa Monica (3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier) which are, collectively, probably the worst place that you will ever visit (even if you go everywhere on Earth).

From Venice, you can also walk south to Marina Del Rey, where there are all sorts of bars and restaurants and thousands of boats.

You can also find many places in Venice and Santa Monica that rent bicycles or roller skates.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone also insists on bringing a backpack on the bus, as if they were searching for the source of the Nile or going on a ten day forced march. I have no idea why people need backpacks. I go out every day without any impedimenta.
Its also useful as a battering ram to increase your personal space ,for occupying the only available seat in the coffee shop,and using as a pillow so you can stretch out on the bus stop bench

Michaelm93

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies, incredibly helpful!!
I've had a few friends from other countries stay with me. They are quite happy walking 6-10 miles a day. Most L.A. residents don't walk more than a mile day unless it is for exercise. We should take that into account before warning of the weakness of our public transportation system.
Knowing what you want to do is a great start. The first half of your stay I would recommend somewhere in Hollywood or DTLA along the Metro Red line. That will cover your shopping, dining, and cultural influences. Second half, I would stay in Santa Monica. More dining, culture, and most importantly, the beach vibe that I think you're trying to capture. I haven't shopped in Santa Monica for years, but I'm sure there are some great places, but pricier than Hollywood/L.A.
My big question for you is the type of accommodations you are accustomed to, and what you are willing to pay per night? You have lots of great options, but pricing can vary greatly.

True! I enjoy walking in my own country, I think I will enjoy it even more when in a big city like LA where there's lots of stuff to see. Both in the big rural areas and along the beach.
As for your big question.. I'm accustomed to nothing, really. I've backpacked through Asia and slept in the worst hostels ever and I've slept in pretty bad hostels with friends when roadtripping around Europe. I've never had any bad experiences though. I've also slept in luxury hotels all over America and Europe with my parents.
I will be studying at Irvine the months after my visit to LA. So as a student, I have budgetary restrictions. I've saved up a lot for this trip. I could afford staying at the Charlie hotel or Inn At Venice Beach that were suggested and I could afford to rent a car (I'm convinced it isn't worth the money and hassle), but I'd rather not do that as it would mean I could spend less money to go out, go shopping or go traveling after I finish my studies. Kinda the same reason I wouldn't buy a $1000 jacket the first week of my stay. I could afford it, but it would mean I would have less money for the rest of my stay in the States (well not exactly the same but you get the idea I think).
I love getting to know people on my trip (especially when traveling alone) and in my experience in a hostel it is easier to lay contacts than in a hotel. I've never used Airbnb before so don't know if I like that.

After looking around a bit, it seems both Culver city and Hollywood would be good places to stay. I would be close to La Brea, I could spend a day downtown (staples center?) if I suddenly feel like it and could go up to Griffith park for some hiking. I've read both Silver Lake and Los Feliz are nice and hip but both neighborhoods seem a little bit out of the way, right?
As for my second place to stay, what's the main difference between Venice and Santa Monica? Especially @Roycru seems to have an unmistakable opinion about this.
I'd love to rent a bike and bike ride from santa monica down to manhattan beach. Seems like it would take about an hour which is fine and I guess it shows you all the beatiful beaches. I like riding bike, I've done it my whole life, never owned a car..
Another question: Is Uber a cheap and reliable way of transportation? We know it here in the Netherlands but never use it.
If any of you have recommendations for things I should definitely include in my trip, please feel free to suggest.

Again, thanks for all your replies. Really will help me find my way in this huge city.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
Good to know you'll be staying on in Irvine after your stopover in L.A. Irvine is about an hour south of Santa Monica, DTLA, and Venice, depending on traffic.
Santa Monica and Venice are adjacent. Venice is more hostel vibe, Santa Monica more upscale. I would be careful with my gear in both places, it will get stolen if unattended.
Walking is the best way to see the city. Throw some power bars and waters in your back pack and save eating out for your favorite cuisine(s). Use Yelp. Depending on your palate, there are some restaurants going out of your way for.
If you're on the beach side of your trip on a Wednesday, go to the Ssnta Monica Farmer's Market. Engage the farmer's assistants, not many farmers work the market, and tell them where you're from, and that you're interested in the differences in varieties snd flavors between the U.S. and your home. They'll give you s bunch of free samples.
Melrose Ave is fun to walk, although you won't buy much, if anything. South of Meltose is Beverly, another good street to walk, to check out the natives. La Brea could take one day or two, depending on your focus, I would take my time. Silver Lake and Los Feliz are a one day trip using Uber from locale to locale to save time.
Somebody else mentioned the size of what we call L.A. It is sprawling. Downtown will be a day in itself, as you'll probably want to visit different areas. Even with a car these would be day trips, unless you are going to one store here, another there, a restaurant here, a bar there. If you want to soak it "all" up take your time, and you'll probably end up taking a few trips back up from Irvine to do some of the places you didn't have time for. Amtrak will get you from Union Station(DTLA) to close to Irvine. From Union Station you can then get the Metto(Subway) to different areas of L.A. and Hollywood. I'm guessing there is a bus to the beach cities from Union Station, but I don't know for sure.
I've learned a lot about my home city through the eyes of friends that have come to stay with me. Through their expectations and wishes I've found things I never knew were in my own backyard.
Enjoy your adventure.

ShootThePier

Reaction score
We have some great museums that you'll want to not miss out on either. Day trips back up from Irvine.
You'll be pleasantly sirprised how close Irvine is.

aizan

Reaction score

We have some great museums that you'll want to not miss out on either. Day trips back up from Irvine.
You'll be pleasantly sirprised how close Irvine is.

go see the mark bradford show at the hammer before it closes on the 20th (which is also the day that the broad opens)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads