• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve always used Bedo’s but I know people have had good experiences with Aram the Cobbler.
Both are good for that. I’ve used both. I used Aram before it was cool I suppose you could say. I ran into @Easily Amused at Aram’s shop one day - I think he was bringing in a pair of gazianos. But I digress, I was curious about bedo’s so I tried him. Also he did triumph toe plates.

But they’re both great, I suspect Aram would be a faster turnaround. Bedo has blown up with his YouTube channel & is a busy man these days.

SpallaPerfetta

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good cobbler to recommend? I just got a pair of loafers and am looking to get some sole protectors fitted and pick up whatever else I may need in shoe care (but am also ignorant in what I’ll need so looking for the one stop shop with knowledge I can trust, even if it is more than buying stuff on Amazon or DIY).
Best Foot Forward in Alexandria. I’ve been happy with their work and much faster turnaround times than some of the better known shops.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use Sky Valet, which is in City Center, a short walk from my office. At some point I need to try Aram and have a Sky brothers showdown. :box:

Hilltern

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the leads are much appreciated. I’ll have to check these out soon. Just looking for sole protection and toe taps really at the moment since the shoes are brand new so I’ll probably avoid anywhere that quotes a lengthy wait time for now.

Also, anyone use Pete’s off Connecticut Ave?

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright! Just scored tix to see this November in NYC at The Shed. Saw him as Macbeth a while back. Fantastic actor. Also seeing Ralph Fiennes as Macbeth this Saturday here in DC. Woo-hoo!

IMG_8187.jpeg

jssdc

Reaction score
Both are good for that. I’ve used both. I used Aram before it was cool I suppose you could say. I ran into @Easily Amused at Aram’s shop one day - I think he was bringing in a pair of gazianos. But I digress, I was curious about bedo’s so I tried him. Also he did triumph toe plates.

But they’re both great, I suspect Aram would be a faster turnaround. Bedo has blown up with his YouTube channel & is a busy man these days.
Did Aram have a shop that was different from sky valet back in the day? I’ve only used him for a couple of things over the past year or so but he was fully remote.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there was a manhunt in my neighborhood last night. my wife and i were watching some tv and i noticed blue lights on the street. i went outside to find several police cars on the street and an officer with a dog combing through people's back yards. two guys jacked a car somewhere outside of the city and drove it into our neighborhood where they crashed and ran off on foot. we were in the perimeter for the search.

we're all ok. the adrenaline kicked in for about an hour.
04172024_croydon.png

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sliced my linen shirt this morning.

Anyone know a good place thats not too pricey where I can this repaired well?

IMG_2388.jpeg

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm sure that the owner has done his due diligence, but I'm not sure that the market for business dress/classic tailoring in DC is back to pre-pandemic levels or if it will ever return.
He will also be doing bespoke casual boots like service boots. I'm hoping his store has some pull with Viberg since they'll be a retailer and can get me a size that is not made across all their models.

nevaeh

Reaction score
This has been asked and answered before, but asking again in case anything has changed. Any recommendations for D.C. alterations tailors, cobblers, and dry cleaners?

Also would love to hang out if folks are around!

Recently moved to D.C., living at the boundary of Downtown/Shaw.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This has been asked and answered before, but asking again in case anything has changed. Any recommendations for D.C. alterations tailors, cobblers, and dry cleaners?

Had all my stuff tailored here since 2007. They do superlative work.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too bad we couldn’t just pin a list of recommendations at the top of this thread.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heading to see Macbeth tonight. Different experience with the play held at on old studio up around Union Market with food trucks on hand for chow. Should be an epic production.

Ascot Chang linen jacket from The Armoury, Zegna linen shirt, Brioni linen pants, C&J dark brown suede loafers.

IMG_8204.jpg

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alterations: Geoffrey Lewis
Cobbler: Aram the Cobbler
Dry cleaners: Swift cleaners
Let's hang out.
I have spoken!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads