• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official-ish DC Thread

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going through the pictures and can honestly say these places don't appeal to me. I think I would rather take people into dc and wine and dine them at a nice restaurant.
The Club system is a bit of a holdover from previous generations. Officer's clubs on remote bases were an inexpensive refuge but now in the days of competitive salaries and bases closer to populated areas they don't make much sense. Joining the Army-Navy Club in DC made sense for frequent official travel and such.

As I Lieutenant I got yelled at by our Colonel for not wanting to join the Officer's Club at Ford Ord in Monterey, CA. Monterey has a smashing restaurant every five feet or so. Why on earth would anyone want to hang out at the Club for Mongolian Barbecue night?

Ended up joining the Officer's Club anyway as he wasn't being rhetorical...

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I considered joining the Army-Navy Club a while back but they don't offer much. Kind of stuffy and not much of a draw anymore. Reciprocity with British Army Club kinda neat but maybe only once.

The only draw of army navy club is the location and gym.

Now, I have friends who have told me they need private clubs because they’d be mobbed / harassed if they weren’t at them. That’s reasonable, I suppose.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only draw of army navy club is the location and gym.

Now, I have friends who have told me they need private clubs because they’d be mobbed / harassed if they weren’t at them. That’s reasonable, I suppose.
Yeah, Pitt, Clooney, and Damon tell me that all the time.

trafficjam

Reaction score
Back in high school, I used to sell swimsuits for the Army-Navy Club's summer swim team (and many other teams at many other clubs) on-site. Army-Navy was the only place I had to dress up to peddle the wares.

On the other hand, I also swam for the Fort Myer JOINT BASE MYER-HENDERSON team, which meant my family had to be members of the O club there.

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kamakura is doing a mtm trunk show in DC on April 10.

WoolyLamb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard this brand mentioned a lot. Anyone have experience with them specifically their fits? Their sizing chart is interesting to say the least.

Sadly ill be traveling during this one or I would definitely go.

Last edited:

TheSuitBurnsBetter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have heard this brand mentioned a lot. Anyone have experience with them specifically their fits? Their sizing chart is interesting to say the least.

I have several of their shirts in the Tokyo slim fit (their only fit that comes in size 37, which is a US 14.5). It's pretty slim, especially in the chest and armhole for me, but they have my absolute favorite button-down collar.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have slightly long arms for my 6ft flat frame, which means I have to stick with their NY fits for enough sleeve length on a 16 or 16.5 neck. The NY slim is not all that slim - their DNA IMHO is Ivy inspired vibe, not #menswear. So, expecting the shirt to fit like some Italian RTW is likely going to leave you disappointed, but all my experiences are with their NY stuff where the classic is basically blousey onme, but I do have an eight inch drop

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All dressed up, nowhere to go. Had a client meeting, got cancelled/rescheduled. I like what I'm wearing, I'll keep it on for the rest of the day, in the comfort of my home :-D

Ring Jacket Model 6 in Sportex Vintage, RLPL cable knit, SuitSupply pocket square, DBF neckerchief and Balloon Trousers, Pantherella socks, and Gaziano & Girling loafers.

Ring Jacket DB Model 6 navy Sportex_DBF bandana and pants_RLPL Cable Knit.jpg IMG_1686.jpg DBF Balloon Trousers olive_Pantherella plaid socks_G&G Antibes Rioja loafers.jpg

Kangnamstyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have several of their shirts in the Tokyo slim fit (their only fit that comes in size 37, which is a US 14.5). It's pretty slim, especially in the chest and armhole for me, but they have my absolute favorite button-down collar.

The biggest barrier to entry for Kamakura is the sizing... their fits (Sport, Vintage Ivy, Tokyo Slim, Tokyo Reg, NY Slim....) are difficult to navigate (example, I am 16.5 neck. some of their fits fit me well in neck, chest, shoulders, but are too short in the sleeves, other fits, the sleeves are good, but their sung around the chest and belly....)

All that being said, they do offer good value (IMHO) in quality of construction and fabric compared to price point.

Also, what TSBB said, their Button downs have a great collar.

MTM might be the way to go.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Alexandria for the final Bo & Ivy pairing dinner. :(

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I went to NYC to their store pre-covid. Got measured. I got one of their shirts because they were heavily hyped. It was all cotton. I always wash my new shirts regardless. Had major shrinkage. I was not happy as I paid over $100 for their shirts.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure they closed their NY store way before covid.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style