• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
re: gamification, do you use an app or something? Or I guess how do you gameify your workouts?
I generally do strength training using the 5/3/1 philosophy and templates ("Training is not testing your strength"). It centers around the big 4 lifts (Deadlift, Squat, Overhead Press, Bench), but you can sub out any compound lift into it. You also do daily assistance work in term of push/pull/legs.

There's a learning curve to absorbing the information and knowing how to program my workouts (Ex: Failing my lifts, decreasing by 2.5-10lbs etc for the month) (Ex: Do I decrease intensity for my main lifts and increase assistance work?).

If I get bored of certain workouts, I may change up the daily assistance work to create novelty. Ex: Switch from flat benching to dumbell bench press, or switch to dips.

I use an unofficial app called "Five3OnePro". It automates a lot of the thinking for me and has a built-in graph of how much progress I've made in terms of volume after each workout session.

It does show stats like "4 more reps until PR". This is nice for short term motivation, but the newbie gains don't last forever.

So whenever I think I haven't made progress, the graph will stare right at me and show that I've increased the volume a crap load over the past couple years for my legs. That motivates me to keep coming back and look at this as a lifelong training endeavor and lifestyle.

I pretty much look at this as building my real-life Vitality/Strength/Endurance stats.

I'm simplifying this a lot, but I can elaborate on DM if you want. Let me know if this makes sense or if clarification is needed.

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
To keep this CM related, @FlyingHorker at your age and general state of good physical health, I'd suggest running something more aggressive than 5/3/1, so that you can plow through the novice phase and reach your Final Form sooner. Your body changes a lot as you get your bench to 100kg and squat to 150kg, but will stabilize after that, allowing you to rebuild your collection of tailoring without worrying too much about outgrowing the shoulders or thighs a second time.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
Even though unfortunately me and Derek now have beef fo’ life, I still read his blog and his new article on developing good taste in regards to “front of house” is something I totally agree with and really think adds immense value to a garment you purchase. It’s an intangible that you either appreciate/be willing to pay for or you’re not/don’t need it. I’d even say I’d take a lesser quality garment if I was happy with the fit/silhouette that someone working “front of house” helped me with.

Sirguywhosmiles

Reaction score
To keep this CM related, @FlyingHorker at your age and general state of good physical health, I'd suggest running something more aggressive than 5/3/1, so that you can plow through the novice phase and reach your Final Form sooner. Your body changes a lot as you get your bench to 100kg and squat to 150kg, but will stabilize after that, allowing you to rebuild your collection of tailoring without worrying too much about outgrowing the shoulders or thighs a second time.
An appropriate award for the work put in!
Hit the numbers and you've earned your bespoke suit.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Does anyone have an off-white/ecru fisherman/aran sweater they really like?

Currently looking at O'Connells:

Orvis:

and Howlin':

It's almost exactly 1 year later and I'm still on the hunt for a chunky fisherman in ecru. Looking for something plush/thick. I just tried one in forrest green from Noah and it was suuuuuper scratchy, even with layers underneath. But otherwise pretty nice/ I also tried one from Junior's, which I've had my eye on for a while, but has verrrrry trim sleeves and I'm not sure I am 100% on board. Thinking of giving O'Connells a try before going up on price point (e.g. chamula) or giving up. Anyone have anything they like in this category?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you find a Chamula one in your size, jump on it. They are crazy soft, quite warm, and they're handknit. It's also nice to support a community of hand-knitters

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's almost exactly 1 year later and I'm still on the hunt for a chunky fisherman in ecru. Looking for something plush/thick. I just tried one in forrest green from Noah and it was suuuuuper scratchy, even with layers underneath. But otherwise pretty nice/ I also tried one from Junior's, which I've had my eye on for a while, but has verrrrry trim sleeves and I'm not sure I am 100% on board. Thinking of giving O'Connells a try before going up on price point (e.g. chamula) or giving up. Anyone have anything they like in this category?
I swear I saw @DavidLane post something similiar once, but it might have been the super scratchy kind.

jaaz16

Reaction score
I swear I saw @DavidLane post something similiar once, but it might have been the super scratchy kind.

Yeah he made a strong case for getting the real deal when I last asked this, but I worried going down that road might lead to scratchy options. I do have an irish store in town that has authentic joints; I should probably at least pop in.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it doesn’t smell like a barn you are doing it wrong. Honestly, there are lots of options out there and while I have an old school one that I wear when I snowblow the driveway, doesn’t mean you should. O’Connell’s is good, but if the Inis Meian fit me I would go that route. There are a ton on eBay as well.
F23EAFED-A52F-474E-8306-02AF852D1590.jpeg

-DL

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few of Inis Meain from NMWA - I really like the Beairtini stitch and the Martin Beag model. I have an an Aran (maybe I got that one from Mr Porter) too, but it is the least robust in terms of pilling.

If you are willing to wait a while, I bought one true Aran from O'Maille in Ireland. It's a cottage industry. Anne contracts with knitters around the Western part of Ireland to knit her patterns to your own dimensions. The wool still has its lanolin, so it's a bit itchy, especially compared to the merino form Inis Meain, but I guess it will break in eventually. I've had mine two years and it wears like iron still, but I haven't worn it that much. I have a lot of sweaters in rotation. I got the rollneck pattern in natural oatmeal, which is close to ecru, although it contains some darker wool in the twist. There's also a natural cream color. Anne is very nice and her estimate for delivery was nearly spot on, maybe 3.5 months from order to it being ready.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though unfortunately me and Derek now have beef fo’ life, I still read his blog and his new article on developing good taste in regards to “front of house” is something I totally agree with and really think adds immense value to a garment you purchase. It’s an intangible that you either appreciate/be willing to pay for or you’re not/don’t need it. I’d even say I’d take a lesser quality garment if I was happy with the fit/silhouette that someone working “front of house” helped me with.
why do you have beef for life?

and man i'm now craving some beef

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just saw that mike ashley is likely buying gieves. man i feel for those tailors, dunno if davide taub is still there

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads