• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Sockett&Bones

Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Based on your previous musings, tan shoes should largely be matched to lighter colored trousers, as to not create a significant contrast from one's outfit, pulling the eyes down. In trying to find the middle ground between business/conservative suiting and full-blown dandy with purple pants, would you say tan shoes really only go with khaki/cream and light gray in CM? Would you say tan shoes are a niche piece of footwear that probably does not belong in most mens' closets?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear

Based on your previous musings, tan shoes should largely be matched to lighter colored trousers, as to not create a significant contrast from one's outfit, pulling the eyes down. In trying to find the middle ground between business/conservative suiting and full-blown dandy with purple pants, would you say tan shoes really only go with khaki/cream and light gray in CM? Would you say tan shoes are a niche piece of footwear that probably does not belong in most mens' closets?

I think it's more about the total outfit than the pants. Sorry in advance to people who have prob read this a million times, but here is my idea on tan shoes.

I think they look bad when guys wear them with dark worsted suits because the shoes shine out like a beacon, and the viewer's focus should instead be on the V-shaped intersection formed by your jacket, shirt, and tie. IMO, when the focus is more up top, this creates a more natural look for a classic tailored outfit. So this is bad:

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co7_r1_540.jpeg
tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co6_r1_1280.jpeg

The same idea applies to sport coats. Here Dan Roan (left) is wearing a navy sport coat with grey trousers and tan shoes (IMO, this is bad). Lance Armstrong (right) is wearing a very similar outfit, but just with mid-brown shoes (IMO, good). The reason, again, is that the outfit as a whole looks a lot more harmonious on the right. Everything comes together and no single piece shines out. So your eye is naturally focused on the person's face rather than being distracted by some bright, unusual element in their outfit

Screen-Shot-2021-09-20-at-11.15.56-AM-scaled.jpg

So instead of thinking of just pants + shoes, I think it's more about how the total outfit comes together and avoiding that "shiny object at my feet" effect. Let's do suits first since we started with suits. I think tan shoes work with lighter-colored suits such as dove gray. This is basically the same as a mid-gray suit worn with mid-brown shoes, but the entire outfit is lightened up a few notches

tumblr_ns8txlazcQ1qa2j8co2_1280.jpeg

I also think they work with light-colored sport coats because the color of the sport coat balances out the shoes. Here are some examples showing how a light-colored sport coat with tan shoes can be worn with trousers in increasing levels of darkness -- stone, mid-gray, and then dark blue.

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co3_r1_1280.png
tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co5_r1_1280.png
tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co2_r1_1280.png

You can also do it if the outfit has a strong summer vibe. But this doesn't easily fall into a rule, it's just how the outfit feels and looks. Still, here we can see how the shoes don't drag the eye downward; they are part of a cohesive whole

tumblr_oofpd2Eiyk1qa2j8co4_r1_1280.png

Here are some examples side-by-side. Photos on the left drag the eye downward; photos on the right show a harmonious outfit. On the right, your eyes are always kept up top on the person's face. (This "rule" is just for classic menswear not all aesthetics.)

suit-combo (1).jpeg
sport-coat.jpeg

Some outfits cry out for tan shoes. For example, I think tan shoes work really well in the last photo above, where Greg is wearing a cream-checked sport coat with a white shirt and stone-colored pants. If he was wearing very dark brown shoes, they might stand out for a similar reason.

But most men don't have these sorts of suits and sport coats. Instead of dove grey suits, they prob have navy or dark grey. Instead of lighter colored sport coats, they prob have navy and dark brown. Which is why I think most men are better off not buying tan shoes. If they buy tan shoes, it would be good to expand the rest of your wardrobe in similar directions. Make sure you have the suits and sport coats you'd need to work with tan footwear.

odub

Reaction score

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you recommend sizing up a bit for a silk shirt compared to a cotton dress shirt for a more relaxed look? If so, all around including shoulder width?
No, he sizes it fitted but not tight. I’m comparison, my 100 Hands were almost too tight. Ask Moeen for best results, but he has a good idea for a classic fit. If you want roomier, he may be able to accommodate you.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hello @dieworkwear - do you the mill that makes these cloths? (from your new article)
View attachment 1779011

Loro Piana Mare

If your tailor can't buy direct, Tissura carries some LP wool-blends

Last edited:

schraiber

Reaction score
I think it's more about the total outfit than the pants. Sorry in advance to people who have prob read this a million times, but here is my idea on tan shoes.

I think they look bad when guys wear them with dark worsted suits because the shoes shine out like a beacon, and the viewer's focus should instead be on the V-shaped intersection formed by your jacket, shirt, and tie. IMO, when the focus is more up top, this creates a more natural look for a classic tailored outfit. So this is bad:

View attachment 1778933 View attachment 1778932

The same idea applies to sport coats. Here Dan Roan (left) is wearing a navy sport coat with grey trousers and tan shoes (IMO, this is bad). Lance Armstrong (right) is wearing a very similar outfit, but just with mid-brown shoes (IMO, good). The reason, again, is that the outfit as a whole looks a lot more harmonious on the right. Everything comes together and no single piece shines out. So your eye is naturally focused on the person's face rather than being distracted by some bright, unusual element in their outfit

View attachment 1778935

So instead of thinking of just pants + shoes, I think it's more about how the total outfit comes together and avoiding that "shiny object at my feet" effect. Let's do suits first since we started with suits. I think tan shoes work with lighter-colored suits such as dove gray. This is basically the same as a mid-gray suit worn with mid-brown shoes, but the entire outfit is lightened up a few notches

View attachment 1778936

I also think they work with light-colored sport coats because the color of the sport coat balances out the shoes. Here are some examples showing how a light-colored sport coat with tan shoes can be worn with trousers in increasing levels of darkness -- stone, mid-gray, and then dark blue.

View attachment 1778937 View attachment 1778938 View attachment 1778939

You can also do it if the outfit has a strong summer vibe. But this doesn't easily fall into a rule, it's just how the outfit feels and looks. Still, here we can see how the shoes don't drag the eye downward; they are part of a cohesive whole

View attachment 1778940

Here are some examples side-by-side. Photos on the left drag the eye downward; photos on the right show a harmonious outfit. On the right, your eyes are always kept up top on the person's face. (This "rule" is just for classic menswear not all aesthetics.)

View attachment 1778942 View attachment 1778943

Some outfits cry out for tan shoes. For example, I think tan shoes work really well in the last photo above, where Greg is wearing a cream-checked sport coat with a white shirt and stone-colored pants. If he was wearing very dark brown shoes, they might stand out for a similar reason.

But most men don't have these sorts of suits and sport coats. Instead of dove grey suits, they prob have navy or dark grey. Instead of lighter colored sport coats, they prob have navy and dark brown. Which is why I think most men are better off not buying tan shoes. If they buy tan shoes, it would be good to expand the rest of your wardrobe in similar directions. Make sure you have the suits and sport coats you'd need to work with tan footwear.
Man I absolutely love that khaki suit that is in the top right of the 2x2 grid at the end.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Loro Piana Mare

If your tailor can't buy direct, Tissura carries some LP wool-blends

Which AFAIK is the same cloth as VBC Safari (exclusive to Gladson)

Different color options

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like the guy in the dove gray suit with suede shoes would have a similar issue as his shoes in the pic look orange and draw my eyes to them. Maybe it is the camera making this appearance.

jaaz16

Reaction score
^ I tend to agree, but it's a bit of a grey area, right? Or a continuum. It still draws your eyes down more than the pictures of Greg but it's not as sharp a contrast as the others.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I feel like the guy in the dove gray suit with suede shoes would have a similar issue as his shoes in the pic look orange and draw my eyes to them. Maybe it is the camera making this appearance.

Yes, I agree the color is a little too warm, but that's the most convenient photo I have of a person in a dove gray suit with tan shoes.

deanandrewj

Reaction score
Any recommendations for shorts with a similar cut to Baggies? I know Derek wrote about the now-defunct Joyce shorts having a similar vibe a while back. Most shorts I see have more of a straight cut that hug the thigh instead of the looser, breezier cut you get with the baggies. In the market for some casual shorts to wear with camp collars and slip ons or sneakers, I’m down for anything (fatigue style, cords, linen, etc).

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any recommendations for shorts with a similar cut to Baggies? I know Derek wrote about the now-defunct Joyce shorts having a similar vibe a while back. Most shorts I see have more of a straight cut that hug the thigh instead of the looser, breezier cut you get with the baggies. In the market for some casual shorts to wear with camp collars and slip ons or sneakers, I’m down for anything (fatigue style, cords, linen, etc).
Leo Köhler makes shorts out of the wonderful German 'moleskin' that I find very comfortable. They're cargoes, but I remove those pockets. EBay is my source, and don't forget the umlaut!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads